Will Buckley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckley is useful from the bench occasionally but little else. Bridcutt useful to cover Catts now and again.
Wholly and totally this

I don't think that is particularly right. What he does not seem to have is aggression to make an influence on the game. Not temperamentally a winner. All his goals have come when his pace has got him clear of a defender. A slight shove in the back when he is about to shoot and it puts him off and it goes just wide, or he goes over a gets a foul.

Defoe with an eye for goal and sufficient pace makes Buckley redundant except as a 67th minute sub. I am sure Buckley has latent potential to up his game. But he has to have game time and he is not going to get it? Players do not seem to improve under Gus Poyet anyway. They might improve despite Poyet. Poyet seems ingrained into the Chelsea way of buying/acquiring players ready made.

Bridcutt was always redundant as Cattermole is better in every aspect of his play and Bridcutt is not an athlete either. A bit more aggressive to make up for his small size.

I don't expect Buckley to play against Fulham. Simply don't need is pace as Johnson and Defoe will be fast enough to beat Stafylidis on the right hand side.
67th minute you say. Panick that man woman man. I'd give it at least until the 68th.

Last edited:

Without having seen him play at this level how can you possibly say that? Buckley was bought as a squad player. We didn't spend a fortune on him and I very much doubt he'll be on a lot wages wise which is the killer for us. We may have been able to go out and got a better player for a free but then his wages would reflect this possibly/probably pushing us over the FFP cap.

You mean apart from in the appearances at the beginning of last season under PDC?

Well I hope he DOES play V Fulham. I think a few here are being unfair on him. I've seen some clever dribbles from him, and he reminds me of Elmo, get past the defender and cross it, and he has pace. --- don't see much wrong with that, and I agree with Perseus, he needs more playing time, I'm sure there's a decent footballer there. We are too quick to destroy----

Fulham might be a good platform for him to show what he has. Give him a go .

You are missing the point of the thread.

I started it because he is appearing less and less this month, often not coming off the bench, or getting just a few minutes.

I am making the point that Gus Poyet appears to be losing faith with him, as he is not appearing anywhere near as much as he was at the start of the season.

I think both are worth what we paid and have both contributed as squad players this season.

Compared to recent seasons when we have had loads of players on big wages never playing, this is a big improvement.

Already repaid his transfer fee with his assist against Newcastle. I hate the you have to be either shit or class mentality on here.
Also headed away the corner which fell to Johnson, showed his pace by running the length of the pitch to set up Johnson. Like someone says that's what u get for 2.5m, not a great player, but not shite either. Would get our money back no problem imo

Bridcutt isn't awful at all. I'm not saying he's a world beater but to suggest he's awful is just daft.

There's a large portion of people on here who know absolutely nowt about football imo.

Already repaid his transfer fee with his assist against Newcastle. I hate the you have to be either shit or class mentality on here.
Young lad finding his way at a higher level than he's been used to mate. I remember when Cattermole wasn't all that n'arl.

[QUOTE="johnson, post: 19651782, member: 27462"]You are missing the point of the thread.

I started it because he is appearing less and less this month, often not coming off the bench, or getting just a few minutes.

I am making the point that Gus Poyet appears to be losing faith with him, as he is not appearing anywhere near as much as he was at the start of the season.[/QUOTE]

This is a forum--- We don't HAVE to keep rigidly to whatever you post, it's a debate and the subject matter is always liable to grow because of that.

You stated you didn't see where he would fit in, and I said he would as he's an out an out winger.

I know why you started the thread, I just expanded the debate that's all

[QUOTE="johnson, post: 19651782, member: 27462"]You are missing the point of the thread.

I am making the point that Gus Poyet appears to be losing faith with him, as he is not appearing anywhere near as much as he was at the start of the season.

This is a forum--- We don't HAVE to keep rigidly to whatever you post, it's a debate and the subject matter is always liable to grow because of that.

You stated you didn't see where he would fit in, and I said he would as he's an out an out winger.

I know why you started the thread, I just expanded the debate that's all[/QUOTE]

fair enough, but the reason I said I am not sure where he fits in, is because Poyet never plays him anymore, and with this formation change, his role will be even more limited. Just not sure why we signed him if the manager has so little faith in him. He has plenty if faith in Bridcutt for example.

I know why you started the thread, I just expanded the debate that's all

fair enough, but the reason I said I am not sure where he fits in, is because Poyet never plays him anymore, and with this formation change, his role will be even more limited. Just not sure why we signed him if the manager has so little faith in him. He has plenty if faith in Bridcutt for example.[/QUOTE]

I don't dispute what you say, you're right, he's not playing him enough, and does seem to have lost faith in the lad, why, I have no idea coz I quite like him, and I must be missing something coz if Poyet is moaning that not enough crosses are coming into the box, Buckley is the ideal man to change that IMHO.

fair enough, but the reason I said I am not sure where he fits in, is because Poyet never plays him anymore, and with this formation change, his role will be even more limited. Just not sure why we signed him if the manager has so little faith in him. He has plenty if faith in Bridcutt for example.

I don't dispute what you say, you're right, he's not playing him enough, and does seem to have lost faith in the lad, why, I have no idea coz I quite like him, and I must be missing something coz if Poyet is moaning that not enough crosses are coming into the box, Buckley is the ideal man to change that IMHO.[/QUOTE]

fair play, I just think we could of got better for 2.5million. He has a role as a sub I agree, just not convinced he will be here long term.

fair play, I just think we could of got better for 2.5million. He has a role as a sub I agree, just not convinced he will be here long term.

There are not many players who would have the pace and fitness to head clear a corner and then be at the other end of the pitch to lay off a winning goal.

He's "limited" in that his approach is very simplistic - kick the ball past the defender, outrun them. Similar to McClean and Elmohammady, but with more pace than McClean and more trickery than both of them.

Against teams in the bottom half that can often be enough, and particularly late in games as a sub it is extremely useful (such as it was against the mags). He's been able to get in behind defences quite a lot this season. He's missed his chances unfortunately, or his teammates have missed theirs after he's put it on a plate for them. Had Rodwell and and Fletcher not fluffed the good chances he provided them with earlier this season, he'd be sitting on 3 or 4 assists.

He's neither brilliant, nor shite. He's ok, and is useful to have.

There are not many players who would have the pace and fitness to head clear a corner and then be at the other end of the pitch to lay off a winning goal.

He's "limited" in that his approach is very simplistic - kick the ball past the defender, outrun them. Similar to McClean and Elmohammady, but with more pace than McClean and more trickery than both of them.

Against teams in the bottom half that can often be enough, and particularly late in games as a sub it is extremely useful (such as it was against the mags). He's been able to get in behind defences quite a lot this season. He's missed his chances unfortunately, or his teammates have missed theirs after he's put it on a plate for them. Had Rodwell and and Fletcher not fluffed the good chances he provided them with earlier this season, he'd be sitting on 3 or 4 assists.

He's neither brilliant, nor shite. He's ok, and is useful to have.

It is still a lot of money for a player whose role is to only come on late in games

It seems to be under Poyet though, that's my point, seems to have lost faith in him. Will see.

I don't really put much stock in what he decides to do at any given time. He changes his mind as often as the wind changes. We abandoned the 352/532 formation rather sharpish. Like we did last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back