Will Buckley

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's shit, hopefully we move him on in the summer. It's for the best really, he's not going to progress his career here playing the odd ten minutes off the bench.

Poyet is not even playing him, and barely bringing him off the bench. That is my point. Its got absolutely nothing to do with what we think, and everything to do with what Poyet thinks.

Makes no difference what me and you think.
You've finally realised.

Could go either way though. That lack of experience could easily make him a very dangerous player to play against. Just look at the impact James McClean had! Mav has pedigree in so much that he's played Champs League football and was wanted by Inter and Roma just before he got injured and we came in. But his application in the Reserves has been poor.

McClean is better than Buckely like to be fair, scores goals.

Buckley does actually score goals, whether he can at this level is another question. His record for Brighton was a goal every 5 games, that's not bad for a winger. 96 apps, 19 goals.

It looks like Poyet bought him specifically as an impact sub

Just think its a hell of a lot of money for such a limited role, 2.5million isn't peanuts.

how many has he started like?

played 14 minutes since Man City, that's me point.

Thing is... 2.5m is peanuts.

No. No he's not mate.

How's McClean doing in the championship there? Shit? Thought as much.

Thing is... 2.5m is peanuts.

No. No he's not mate.

How's McClean doing in the championship there? Shit? Thought as much.

Of course he is, Buckley should be in the championship, the only reason he is there is because Poyet signed him.

2.5 million is not peanuts with financial fair play, which we are very close to, every penny counts

and spending that on a player that never ever starts is a waste

Last edited by a moderator:
He's absolutely rapid so he gives us something different. He's not good but he's not shit.

He caused Man United a big problem. Through pace entirely. The potential danger is always more than the actual threat. Useful on the bench.

He is dynamite, just sometimes. Left foot as well.

Buckley is a poor mans McClean. At least McClean could cross and score goals

He caused Man United a big problem. Through pace entirely. The potential danger is always more than the actual threat. Useful on the bench.

He is dynamite, just sometimes. Left foot as well.

He caused United a problem because they had 3 CBs and the lad he was up against was Tyler Blackett.

he's direct but dont think he will cut it in this league. Still, could provide something now and again. we need better but so many times I've thought that and instead we buy worse

My biggest gripe about Buckley is that we could have exactly the same type of player in Mavrias who hasn't been given a minute this season.

Without having seen him play at this level how can you possibly say that? Buckley was bought as a squad player. We didn't spend a fortune on him and I very much doubt he'll be on a lot wages wise which is the killer for us. We may have been able to go out and got a better player for a free but then his wages would reflect this possibly/probably pushing us over the FFP cap.

WE deserve better!

We deserve the best the club can afford to give us.

This whole "We deserve x, y, z" is bollox. As is expecting every signing to come off, expecting everyone to be a star in every game, expecting the club to spunk a load of money each year on a new team, yada yada yada. I guess it these attitudes just sum up the current age of entitlement.

He's shit, hopefully we move him on in the summer. It's for the best really, he's not going to progress his career here playing the odd ten minutes off the bench.
Buckley is a flat footed kick and run foootballer.......no skill....... turns like one foot is evo sticked to the floor!WE deserve better!

I don't think that is particularly right. What he does not seem to have is aggression to make an influence on the game. Not temperamentally a winner. All his goals have come when his pace has got him clear of a defender. A slight shove in the back when he is about to shoot and it puts him off and it goes just wide, or he goes over a gets a foul.

Defoe with an eye for goal and sufficient pace makes Buckley redundant except as a 67th minute sub. I am sure Buckley has latent potential to up his game. But he has to have game time and he is not going to get it? Players do not seem to improve under Gus Poyet anyway. They might improve despite Poyet. Poyet seems ingrained into the Chelsea way of buying/acquiring players ready made.

Bridcutt was always redundant as Cattermole is better in every aspect of his play and Bridcutt is not an athlete either. A bit more aggressive to make up for his small size.

I don't expect Buckley to play against Fulham. Simply don't need is pace as Johnson and Defoe will be fast enough to beat Stafylidis on the right hand side.

Well I hope he DOES play V Fulham. I think a few here are being unfair on him. I've seen some clever dribbles from him, and he reminds me of Elmo, get past the defender and cross it, and he has pace. --- don't see much wrong with that, and I agree with Perseus, he needs more playing time, I'm sure there's a decent footballer there. We are too quick to destroy----

Fulham might be a good platform for him to show what he has. Give him a go .

Nah, he's better than that, and just needs a run out or two, I think an orthodox winger is exactly what we need if we play 2 strikers, he's perfect for that role, banging balls into box, give him a few games Gus --

Last edited:
Don't think he's been helped by the negative tactics Gus has played in most games. Not a world beater but shown flashes of ability. Still has some learning to do at this level but does give opposition defences something to think about when he comes on for his cameos.

buckley has created quite a few scoring chances for us this season. We've just missed most of them. He's a decent option for us. A workhorse winger and one of the fastest in the team.

He gets unfair levels of grief.

Yep, thats exactly how I see it anarl.. He's trickier than people on here say, IIRC, his first or second game he tied the left back in knots with his dribbling . With his pace as well, how can he NOT be a good option ? He would be the ideal man to feed Defoe IMO. Who else do we have as a natural right winger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back