why can't you call the mags, 'the toon'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are the mags?
they're the toon

1.It's a friendly pet name for their team, I wouldn't expect them to say that they were playing "the Lads" when they play us.
2. It is their town. Sounds ridiculous for anyone with no connection to Newcastle to assume town means Newcastle and not their own town.
3. If it's not your accent it sounds ridiculous.
4. "Toon"/"Toon Army"- all rather corny.

Acceptable names:
Newcastle
The Skunks
The Mags
Barcodes
Black and whites
"Them lot"
Scum/other offensive words

Unacceptable names:
The Toon (unless taking the piss, and saying Toooooooon)
Toon Army
The Town
The Geordies
The Lads is a bit of a daft nickname though. It's like calling them "The Footballers" or something. I would definitely say "I'm going to watch the lads" but I'd imagine the Mags say the same. And anywhere else in the country where the word "lad" means "young male adult" :lol:
It's the Black Cats for me, or Cats for short. Or "Catt's Black Cats" or "Shorty's Black Cats"

they're the toon

The Lads is a bit of a daft nickname though. It's like calling them "The Footballers" or something. I would definitely say "I'm going to watch the lads" but I'd imagine the Mags say the same. And anywhere else in the country where the word "lad" means "young male adult" :lol:
It's the Black Cats for me, or Cats for short. Or "Catt's Black Cats" or "Shorty's Black Cats"
Naaaaah naaah apparently we own the term 'lads' now mate, and toon could apply to any town....

Worked in Newcastle in the 70s and used to drink with a mag I worked with. Him and his mates referred to them as the "Town" which I found rather strange at the time. Never heard anyone refer to them as the "Toon" You can imagine my surprise when they all started calling them that in the 90s.

they're the toon

Aye, was just trying to think of an affectionate term for comparison. A Rangers fan wouldn't say that they were playing The Bhoys when playing Celtic, as it's a term of affection.

Aye, was just trying to think of an affectionate term for comparison. A Rangers fan wouldn't say that they were playing The Bhoys when playing Celtic, as it's a term of affection.
Maybe we should call them The Lhads? :lol:

Reactions: CEF
Howay let's hear the reasons?

Small time bollocks IMHO

Any more forbidden phrases I should know about?
Bizarre question. The answer is: because it lowers you to the same moronic level as those who use that risible term.
Glad to help. Thanks for asking.

Do they not call themselves 'the magpies' as well like?
Is it Magpies or. Jackdaws who are regarded as thieves?

Bizarre question. The answer is: because it lowers you to the same moronic level as those who use that risible term.
Glad to help. Thanks for asking.

Is it Magpies or. Jackdaws who are rearded as thieves?
So we use 'the unwashed', 'scum' etc instead, which elevates us well above moronic levels, clearly?

People from Northumberland areas call newcastle itself the toon. They've done it for decades, long before it referred to the football team.
I don't think the people of newcastle referred to it as the toon as they didn't have that phrase in their vocabulary, it is now though but only with reference to football.

Last edited:
People from Northumberland areas call newcastle itself the toon. They've done it for decades, long before it referred to the football team.
I don't think the people of newcastle referred to it as the toon as they didn't have that phrase in their vocabulary, it is now though but only with reference to football.

At last, the voice of reason! Why people get so wound up about this parochial shit I will never understand.

they're the toon

"So any plans this weekend cluffy?"
"Aye, I'm going to watch the black cats"
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back