What was your first match watching the lads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
April 1958...Sunderland. 1....... Manchester Utd. 2

Stoke at home, Easter 1963.
63000 there for a second division game.
0-0 and Stan Anderson hit the post.
Is this one of the games where the 50 yr old Stanley Matthews was down to play.....and didn't..He was like Bobby Thompson for not turning up!

November, 1963. Home v Northampton Town. Lost 2-0
A bit of a bogey team for us at the time. I think it was the only home game we lost all season....and they beat us something like 5-0 at their place on a frost bound pitch. They wore basketball boots, we wore trainers and fell about all over the place.

Last edited:

SAFC 0 - 0 Charlton Athletic, '96.

Don't remember a thing about the match, only the feeling of being at Roker, the badge man, chips from the hole in the wall. Class.

November, 1963. Home v Northampton Town. Lost 2-0

It was August and our second home game, I couldn't believe we lost to Northampton and thought we might blow promotion again. They also introduced those very small programmes that season. My first game was the year before home to Cardiff in December.

March 5, 1995. Sunderland v Tranmere Rovers. Pissing-down Sunday lunch-time and it was on TV in the days Tyne Tees would show Newcastle at home against Swindon one week, Middlesbrough taking on Brentford away the next week and then Sunderland at home to Millwall which of course started to get less and less when Newcastle and then Middlesbrough got promoted. We lost 1-o. I was stood in-front of a 10ft giants in the Clock Stand with probably the remains of a steak pie on my shoe.

My dad took me to a few when I was a bairn but first match a can proper remember was the home play off game against Gillingham. Some would say a very good grounding for the pain and disappointment that lay ahead:lol:

My dad took me to a few when I was a bairn but first match a can proper remember was the home play off game against Gillingham. Some would say a very good grounding for the pain and disappointment that lay ahead:lol:
Were you the ref ;)

March 5, 1995. Sunderland v Tranmere Rovers. Pissing-down Sunday lunch-time and it was on TV in the days Tyne Tees would show Newcastle at home against Swindon one week, Middlesbrough taking on Brentford away the next week and then Sunderland at home to Millwall which of course started to get less and less when Newcastle and then Middlesbrough got promoted. We lost 1-o. I was stood in-front of a 10ft giants in the Clock Stand with probably the remains of a steak pie on my shoe.

Typical

http://www.thestatcat.co.uk/Season.aspx?SeasonID=92

:lol:

Last edited:
That must have been the season we came up with Leeds then, right?

My first SAFC game was against Northampton Town too - but at Northampton and in the old top flight - I think it was 1966, April. Weekday evening. We lost 2-1, IIRC. Think Slim Jim was playing, but can't remember anything of the game, TBH. The Cobblers were relegated after one season in the top flight a month later. I think we scraped survival (some things never change :))

Correct

April 1958...Sunderland. 1....... Manchester Utd. 2

Is this one of the games where the 50 yr old Stanley Matthews was down to play.....and didn't..He was like Bobby Thompson for not turning up!

A bit of a bogey team for us at the time. I think it was the only home game we lost all season....and they beat us something like 5-0 at their place on a frost bound pitch. They wore basketball boots, we wore trainers and fell about all over the place.[/QUOTE]

am fairly sure that was v Forest

1975 or 6, QPR at home and they scored an own goal. Mostly remember hearing Dad swear for the first time and him telling me that it's different at a match and don't tell Mam.

Mine was against West Ham in 1980, beat them with goals from Kevin Arnott and Stan Cummins and promoted to Division One.

62/63 season,Derby home 3-0 Clough 2 think other was an o/g,had to travel throo tha toon in them days, nee tyne tunnel,through Gosforth high st owa tyne bridge,gateshead highway,happy days and fukn dangerous,loved it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back