What was your first match watching the lads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Ham at home. It was either 99/00 or 00/01 , I was about 9-10. Phillips scored in the 85/86 minute. 1-0. And we proceeded to hoof the ball into the corner constantly after that.

They had Don Hutchinson that day iirc.

Sat in the premier concourse and I was hooked.

Incidentally it come from the 'cheap school tickets' that people moan constantly about on here. Now I spend hundreds of pounds a season on the club and probably will for the rest of my life. Not bad PR really in hindsight.

Was a reserve game at Roker park against Hull City reserves 1961 I think.

Swindon , start of 71-72 season. In the Roker End. We won 1.0. Chambers scored.

Started going regularly the following season - just in time for the cup run.

Little did I know at the time, but this type of thing didn't occur every season as a SAFC fan......

Nevertheless it well and truly hooked me in, and over 40 years later I'm still suffering and waiting for a season like 72/73 again !

West Ham at home. It was either 99/00 or 00/01 , I was about 9-10. Phillips scored in the 85/86 minute. 1-0. And we proceeded to hoof the ball into the corner constantly after that.

They had Don Hutchinson that day iirc.

Sat in the premier concourse and I was hooked.

Incidentally it come from the 'cheap school tickets' that people moan constantly about on here. Now I spend hundreds of pounds a season on the club and probably will for the rest of my life. Not bad PR really in hindsight.
Never seen anybody moan about cheap school tickets. Just the free ones handed out everywhere else to adults.

Schools is where every cheap ticket should go

Mine was against West Ham in 1980, beat them with goals from Kevin Arnott and Stan Cummins and promoted to Division One.

Wanted to go but me dad wouldn't take us, probably due to the huge crowd, first game was in that season against Shrewsbury we won 2-1, Marangoni and Arnott.

The 1-0 Liverpool beach ball game.

Ha ha! What a memorable, great first game. Could be the start of another thread - Where were you for the beachball goal?

I was in Travnik, Bosnia, in a goodness to honest cheapo hotel, where the manager and his son plied me with drinks for the night ...... never forget that one.

Ha ha! What a memorable, great first game. Could be the start of another thread - Where were you for the beachball goal?

I was in Travnik, Bosnia, in a goodness to honest cheapo hotel, where the manager and his son plied me with drinks for the night ...... never forget that one.

Would be a shit thread seeing as we were at home and 80% of this forum would have been at the match

Early 50s at home to Derby County sitting on the straw beside the touch line watching the Bank of England team incl Shack and Ford.

Different World much better atmosphere back then.

Good Friday 1957 v Leeds. Won 2-0. My grandad who was a lifelong supporter took me. He had lots of stories to tell about players from the past. Charlie Buchan was his favourite. Sadly he died the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back