Vasas Budepest and Sporting Lisbon away in '73

Status
Not open for further replies.

My da went to Vasas. Remember it was a real Irvin curtain regime then making travel more difficult. Wasn't there 2 planes from ponteland? Love to see the pic to see if he was on it.

Went to Both Home Games. Lenny Blackbird lives at Fence Houses went to the Vasas Budapest game in Hungary (Think he travelled by train and ferry).

It's difficult to imagine today, with cheapo airlines and no Iron Curtain, but going to anywhere in the communist bloc in 1973, , even on a package tour, was something pretty unusual. Doing it alone, people thought you were mad. I went to Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia that year. My friends were worried I'd never come back. (ha - they could have easily been right - I was 'detained' by various police forces three times).

If you happened to work for the railways (and at the right grades) you could do Sunderland - Budapest for about £3 return in 1973 (that was the cost of the port taxes - the rail tickets were free) - but it was still a big effort. In those days you could probably do Victoria - Vienna in 24 - 28 hours (I did that trip 2-3 times, but never in one go) and then another 4-5 hours to Budapest.

An anecdote from Budapest on the Vasas game. In 1999, I decided to do a trip to the UK to see SAFC with my daughter. I decided then that she should at least see a bit of the UK, and Sunderland - kind of cultural heritage education.
We were still in the League Cup at the time, and those who remember - it was a great season. anyway, I used to go down to a "working man's pub" in Budapest's 1st district. (This is an anachronism - Budapest 1 is mostly a very posh part of town.) Well, I was in there and told a local fellah I was going to see some footie in England. Which team? he asks - I said, ah, you wouldn't know it, we're second division like.
He pressed his point, so I said Sunderland.
"Ah, " says he "Of course I know Sunderland. We, Vasas, played you in the 1970s, Cup Winners' Cup. I remember, when we heard you were a second division club back then, we all thought we stood a good chance of getting through the first round. But we lost!"
:)

My da went to Vasas. Remember it was a real Irvin curtain regime then making travel more difficult. Wasn't there 2 planes from ponteland? Love to see the pic to see if he was on it.

"Irvin Man" the movie hasn't got the same ring to it. Just sounds like he's being scolded by his mam.

Just looking at our brief foray into European football and I was just wondering if anyone knew if any Sunderland fans went to either of the away games in Budepest or Lisbon? I'm guessing not many (if any) did, especially not to Budapest but it would be interested to here of any stories of fans that did make it

Also I noticed that the attendance for the home game vs Vasas was just 22,762, any reason behind this (baring in mind it was our first ever European game)

I would love an European away game now!
my late brother bri hutchinson went over with 2 other gateshead lads and a kid called brad from the mill view by train away near a week i think . ...i was 12 remember it well .as railway men they got free train travel anywhere those days still do .

my late brother bri hutchinson went over with 2 other gateshead lads and a kid called brad from the mill view by train away near a week i think . ...i was 12 remember it well .as railway men they got free train travel anywhere those days still do .
vasas i meant

Last edited:
Hey man, them maggy boys are thick as fk mind.
They all think people just go abroad when their football team is playin in a certain country/city.
Been to Milan a few times - canny city mind, not as good as Rome, Turin, Naples,Venice, Verona, Bergamo or Florence, but not bad. Havent seen SAFC play at any of those cities, but still had a top time.
Sad twats wont be able to comprehend that.

Went to Budapest but just last year so Id missed kick off!

Wish Id visited the new ground there now, looked cracking.

Just looking at our brief foray into European football and I was just wondering if anyone knew if any Sunderland fans went to either of the away games in Budepest or Lisbon? I'm guessing not many (if any) did, especially not to Budapest but it would be interested to here of any stories of fans that did make it

Also I noticed that the attendance for the home game vs Vasas was just 22,762, any reason behind this (baring in mind it was our first ever European game)

I would love an European away game now!
I was in Budapest, there was two games on in the stadium that day.First one involving a Polish team.After our game we were booked into a citadel (food and drink)on the night before flying home.Legless getting back on the plane, amazed they let me on the plane.Wonderful day.

I went to Lisbon. Flew out from Teesside on the day and back the next day. I thought we were OK but there were better than us iirc. Had a good night out in Lisbon afterwards.
4S Sports was the firm that did the organising of the trips.

Me da went to Lisbon, his father in law at the time had contacts and somehow was on the same plane as the players.
My da went to Budapest and Lisbon. He said when the plane was taxi-ing to the terminal building he noticed a bloke legging it down the tarmac waving a red n white scarf. Turned out he was a local who had been supporting the Lads for years without ever getting the chance to see them in the flesh. Seems like excitement got the better of him.
My da also went to the World Cup in Mexico in 1970 on the official England travel club trip - they stayed in the same hotel as the players and used to have a few beers with them round the pool most nights. He said the Mexicans made a proper racket all night before the West Germany game.

A home programme at the time (the Roker Review) pictured fans on the trarmac in front of the plane to Budapest with the caption 'Euroker'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back