Vasas Budepest and Sporting Lisbon away in '73

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking at our brief foray into European football and I was just wondering if anyone knew if any Sunderland fans went to either of the away games in Budepest or Lisbon? I'm guessing not many (if any) did, especially not to Budapest but it would be interested to here of any stories of fans that did make it

Also I noticed that the attendance for the home game vs Vasas was just 22,762, any reason behind this (baring in mind it was our first ever European game)

I would love an European away game now!

Just looking at our brief foray into European football and I was just wondering if anyone knew if any Sunderland fans went to either of the away games in Budepest or Lisbon? I'm guessing not many (if any) did, especially not to Budapest but it would be interested to here of any stories of fans that did make it

Also I noticed that the attendance for the home game vs Vasas was just 22,762, any reason behind this (baring in mind it was our first ever European game)

I would love an European away game now!

Aye my big brothers and I was in the fulwell end for the 2-1 v Sporting :cool:

I recall that the club charged £1 admission across the board. Bearing in mind normal admission at the time was 30p for under 16 and 60p for adults it is no surprise. Note - the club reverted back to normal prices for the 2nd round v sporting and hence a crowd of around 31K

I recall that the club charged £1 admission across the board. Bearing in mind normal admission at the time was 30p for under 16 and 60p for adults it is no surprise. Note - the club reverted back to normal prices for the 2nd round v sporting and hence a crowd of around 31K

ah right that makes sense, I bet we wouldn't have a crowd of more the 31k now for a European game :(

I stayed away from the Vasas match in protest at the prices being charged. That was a big deal for me as I never missed a match in those days.

I don't think they reverted to the normal prices for the Lisbon game. I think they were still higher than normal, but less than for Vasas.

In my memory the normal prices were less than those you have quoted, so the hike was huge. The final in 1973 was £1 for a standing ticket, and the semi final at Hillsborough was 70p on the Kop, so I think our normal prices at the time were still below 60p for the Fulwell End by September and October 1973.

I was at the friendly against "Amiens?" in Le Tocquet a few years back and after the match a lad got up on the a beer garden table and announced that there was someone present who went to Budapest.......and would be willing to answer questions on the matter with anyone willing to buy him ( the announcer!!!) a beer as his agents fee!!!
I think the Vasas attender was from Ryhope but couldnt swear to it.

I was at the Sporting Lisbon game at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back