Uber taxi apps and their ilk.

• Thread starter Left Breathless
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only assume you're taking the piss because you're beyond the point where you could be misunderstanding or unable to comprehend

You're a teacher, you supposedly work all night when you come in? That's what the teachers of the SMB say, anyways.

If not work, treat like it a bus, have a read of something. treat it as leisure time.

Im working right now!!!

Why wouldn't you use them?

I wouldn't call what you're trying to do funny :neutral:
:lol::lol::lol:
Isnt this going back to the beginning? I wouldnt use them because they havent got anyone driving them if it fucks up. Why do you care if i would or wouldnt?

:lol::lol::lol:
Isnt this going back to the beginning? I wouldnt use them because they havent got anyone driving them if it fucks up. Why do you care if i would or wouldnt?

I care because I don't understand why you'd have such a view. I've repeatedly said if driverless cars are deemed safe why wouldn't you. If they're as safe as a normal car why wouldn't you? If they're safer than a normal car, why wouldn't you?

If you can't wrap your head around the fact it could be safer then I'll cut my losses because there's no simpler way of saying it.

You'll only come back with some crap like "they'll never exist"

I can do Englishs well.

I care because I don't understand why you'd have such a view. I've repeatedly said if driverless cars are deemed safe why wouldn't you. If they're as safe as a normal car why wouldn't you? If they're safer than a normal car, why wouldn't you?

If you can't wrap your head around the fact it could be safer then I'll cut my losses because there's no simpler way of saying it.

You'll only come back with some crap like "they'll never exist"

I can do Englishs well.
Ive repeatedly said they will never exist, but lets say we use your hypothetical mythical safer than safe argument.
They wont have drivers, therefore when they go wrong (which there is no doubt, 100% no argument they will) say hypothetically going 70mph (id assume they will rigged to not break the speed limit) and the computer says no. What then Mr Progress? Answer you will almost certainly die a horrible death or be severely injured perhaps maimed . Its not hard to grasp mate its bad enough being driven around by bad drivers! Having no drivers sorry its not for me.

Yep. Take sat navs as an example.

As an example of what?

My intern is very smart. He can code, he can write algorithms no problem. His ability to absorb or research information is abysmal.

I've interviewed scores of people like this. All about machine like learning.

He can code and develop algorithms but can't absorb information? How did he obtain that information? Osmosis? We're able to find more than enough young very capable researchers.

For skills that are lacking, how much is down to technology and how much down to education?

I think the view that technology makes people dumb is a tad simplistic.

Last edited:
As an example of what?

He can code and develop algorithms but can't absorb information? How did he obtain that information? Osmosis? We're able to find more than enough young very capable researchers.

For skills that are lacking, how much is down to technology and how much down to education?

I think the view that technology makes people dumb is a tad simplistic.
Of course it is simplistic. I think the reliance on technology removes the ability to retain information and from my anecdotal evidence makes interaction f***ing hard.

Of course it is simplistic. I think the reliance on technology removes the ability to retain information and from my anecdotal evidence makes interaction f***ing hard.

The necessity to retain information mightn't be seen as being as important, which is as much to do with attitude and education, but I've encountered no real concern about the ability to retain information. And, of course, retention of information is not the same as critical appraisal, which is what I think you initially mentioned.

It's kind of the area I work in so I hear a bit about this kind of stuff. There are some cultural shifts that have been enabled by technology that are changing the way people choose to act. That's not necessarily making them dumb, it's just society doesn't seem to need them to act in certain ways. There have been plenty of other, non-tech related societal changes over the last few decades that will also be having an impact on attitudes of people today.

autonomous cars are definitely on their way, and anyone who says otherwise has their head buried in the sand. most tubes and planes are autonomous, and only have a 'driver' because people are scared of the future and don't feel comfortable being under the control of technology. just like old people not using an ATM and still going into the bank to withdraw £30. the future is coming!!!!!

Used Uber for the first time on Saturday night in Newcastle, really impressed. 4 minute wait from pushing the button at 11.30 pm knocks spots off any conventional taxi firm, and the fare was £3-4 cheaper than I'd expect. Actually £15 cheaper as I got that in credit when I signed up. Decent car, driver who didn't want to talk shite and no hassle with cash/tips.

When I was playing around with the app early in the evening, around 7.30, there was a 'price surge' to 1.9 times the normal fare, theoretically to get more drivers out to meet demand, but you could opt to wait until they sent a message saying it was back to normal. Absolutely no complaints at all though I have heard of problems from friends in London when they have accepted an estimated fare but been billed for 2-3 times that much after the driver hit traffic congestion, deliberately or otherwise (the estimated fares assume everything is tickety boo).

Used Uber for the first time on Saturday night in Newcastle, really impressed. 4 minute wait from pushing the button at 11.30 pm knocks spots off any conventional taxi firm, and the fare was £3-4 cheaper than I'd expect. Actually £15 cheaper as I got that in credit when I signed up. Decent car, driver who didn't want to talk shite and no hassle with cash/tips.

When I was playing around with the app early in the evening, around 7.30, there was a 'price surge' to 1.9 times the normal fare, theoretically to get more drivers out to meet demand, but you could opt to wait until they sent a message saying it was back to normal. Absolutely no complaints at all though I have heard of problems from friends in London when they have accepted an estimated fare but been billed for 2-3 times that much after the driver hit traffic congestion, deliberately or otherwise (the estimated fares assume everything is tickety boo).
I think it is brilliant. Ideal when you're abroad and not a clue what you're doing. You can just stick your destination on a map and off you go. We've used it loads abroad and in Newcastle. No more getting robbed off taxis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back