Uber taxi apps and their ilk.

• Thread starter Left Breathless
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Left Breathless

Fantastic things imo. Used them all over Europe and have nothing but praise. Great to see that snake taxi drivers are getting their noses out of joint now the job is becoming a professional one.

No more getting ripped off. Long may it continue.

How is it better than taxi's? I noticed it was used big in America

Cheaper rates or just a set rate etc? didn't know it was a thing over here

You get one quicker, cheaper, drivers work for themselves essentially and they're all rated individually for their passengers, @Left Breathless is absolutely right, Uber seems to be the way to go, heard a lot of positive things about it but they haven't come to my part of the world yet. Will give it a go when it does though.

It's about £2 cheaper from town to uni than it would be in a taxi. No brainer. About a fiver cheaper from my house to the train station.

Haven't used a taxi since they launched in Leeds 2 and a bit years ago.

Loads cheaper, better service, no need to carry cash. It's a no brainer.

Nicer cars, cheaper, and the payment is all on your card between you and the Uber app - you exchange no money at all with the driver. Rate is set via the app, too, so there's no meter that the driver could mess with. The downside is that the drivers aren't pros, but over here it caught on well because American cab drivers typically drive extremely recklessly anyway and many taxis are utter pieces of shit that are poorly maintained. On Uber, if a driver does that, you can give them a low rating. Enough low ratings means they can't drive for Uber any more.

No way would I be swiping my card with stranger in a car, fuck that
You pay through the app which is connected to PayPal. I was in Barcelona last year and had a taxi waiting when I come out of the airport. He called me to tell me where he was, jumped in, had a appt that overlooked Sagrada Familila and cost me €12. Would have been €30 through the airport taxis. Used the same bloke through the week. You can add a tip through there as well. It's great.

Used it in Berlin, Paris and Barca.

What are you on about? You pay on the uber app when you book the "taxi".
Slightly different on the one abroad. You pay at destination

Used in florida and couldn't rate it highly enough. They were about half the price of the local taxis.

Are they in Newcastle now? And any plans to come to Sunderland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back