Travel insurance for the elderly

EHIC and its replacement info

"The UK GHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance. We advise you to have private travel and medical insurance for the duration of your trip."
Yeah i know it says that .
It also says

What your card covers

You can use your card to get state healthcare that cannot reasonably wait until you come back to the UK (sometimes called "medically necessary healthcare"). This includes things like:

• emergency treatment and visits to A&E
  • treatment or routine medical care for long-term or pre-existing medical conditions.
Sounds decent care to me , just excludes repatriation ( but the terms suggest if you need to stay for continuing medical care you'll get it ) or private care .

State of our waiting lists you could even be better off abroad , medics tend to not count the cost in countries with good social and health care.
If it was me and i couldnt afford or get decent travel insurance, which existing conditions might well be excluded from anyway , id be tempted to ' chance it' rather than stagnate.

Last edited:
It also says

What your card covers

You can use your card to get state healthcare that cannot reasonably wait until you come back to the UK (sometimes called "medically necessary healthcare"). This includes things like:

• treatment or routine medical care for long-term or pre-existing medical conditions.
Sounds decent care to me , just excludes repatriation ( but the terms suggest if you need to stay for continuing medical care you'll get it ) or private care .

State of our waiting lists you could even be better off abroad , medics tend to not count the cost in countries with good social and health care.
If it was me and i couldnt afford or get decent travel insurance, which existing conditions might well be excluded from anyway , id be tempted to ' chance it' rather than stagnate.
Just didn't want the op to think an EHIC was the total answer, tis all.

Just didn't want the op to think an EHIC was the total answer, tis all.
Quite, of course his elderly relative will presumably do due diligence on what risk he or she will accept . Im only speaking personally and for me sweden is as good a place to die as any . Hoka hey !

It also says

What your card covers

You categorically won’t get private care (for free).

GHIC and EHIC cover state healthcare only, not private treatment. You will be responsible for the cost of any treatment provided by a private doctor or private clinic.

3 months is the maximum you’d get on GHIC. After that you’d be charged same as anyone else from outside UK/EU.

You categorically won’t get private care (for free).

GHIC and EHIC cover state healthcare only, not private treatment. You will be responsible for the cost of any treatment provided by a private doctor or private clinic.

3 months is the maximum you’d get on GHIC. After that you’d be charged same as anyone else from outside UK/EU.
I know , i said it excluded private . 3 months ? Odds are then I'd either be fit enough to be stuffed on a plane for 2 hours or be on my way out , either way nowt to worry about and they cant get blood out of a stone

I know , i said it excluded private . 3 months ? Odds are then I'd either be fit enough to be stuffed on a plane for 2 hours or be on my way out , either way nowt to worry about and they cant get blood out of a stone
Apologies, misread your post.

All depends on your situation. If you’re single/aren’t bothered about how much it’s going to cost you or your dependents then it’s fine.

Thanks for all the info from everyone. Will definitely get the EHIC card so at least emergency care is covered. Saga seems to have worked well for a few people, Staysure has had very different reviews here, so may not use them.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info from everyone. Will definitely get the EHIC card so at least emergency care is covered. Saga seems to have worked well for a few people, Staysure has had very different reviews here, so may not use them.
Your UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)
Thank you for your recent application for a UK GHIC. Your card is enclosed.
Using your new UK GHIC
Your UK GHIC entitles you to free or reduced cost state-provided healthcare where
tréatmëht becomes medically necessary durinjatemporaryvitto the European Union
(EU) or Switzerland. Accessing healthcare in Switzerland using your UK GHIC is subject to
nationality requirements, which are detailed overleaf. You may also be covered for
necessary healthcare in some non-EU countries. Check the GOV.UK foreign travel advice
for the country you're planning to visit.
Your card gives you access to treatment at the same cost as residents of the country you
are visiting. In some countries, state healthcare is not completely free to residents and you
may have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your treatment. You will not be able to
claim the money back for this contribution.
Your UK GHIC is not a substitute for travel insurance. You should take out private travel
insurance before your trip. It may not cover all health costs and never covers being flown
back to the UK (medical repatriation).

I saw an advert for these;

I haven't had the opportunity to use them, but they may be useful. Let me know how they are, if you give them a go please.

Re Staysure, they insured me on an annual policy, one year. At expiry I tried to renew and they wouldn't reinsure me. I hadn't made a claim. That didn't stop them bombarding me with offers to renew, which irritated me no end.

I saw an advert for these;

I haven't had the opportunity to use them, but they may be useful. Let me know how they are, if you give them a go please.

Re Staysure, they insured me on an annual policy, one year. At expiry I tried to renew and they wouldn't reinsure me. I hadn't made a claim. That didn't stop them bombarding me with offers to renew, which irritated me no end.
They’re a weird company. First year no problems. Second year the people (kids) on the other end kept giving me contradictory information so I asked to speak with a Supervisor who eventually sorted it all out. This year, as I mentioned earlier, they stopped covering what they previously had covered.
Won’t trust or use them again.
They’re a weird company. First year no problems. Second year the people (kids) on the other end kept giving me contradictory information so I asked to speak with a Supervisor who eventually sorted it all out. This year, as I mentioned earlier, they stopped covering what they previously had covered.
Won’t trust or use them again. Edit - *** Talking about Staysure by the way**

Last edited:

Back