Top 5 worst Sunderland home games

Nah, not the Palace one. Bolase scored a hat trick in about 10 minutes in the second half. Was still vile mind.

I still remember Millwall 5-1 being a night match, pitch black and freezing cold in the fulwell despite having watched the highlights clearly showing daylight.

Always remember that one because outside after the third went in some mentalist was snapping him and his kids season card and then just for added effect stamped on them a few times:lol::lol:
Keanes last game at home to Bolton when Gordon almost single handedly cost us 4 goals.
I know he was decent sometimes but people forget he also had a fair amount of abysmal games
My first game!! 🤣
Suppose it set the tone nicely….

Steffan Iversen hatrick in a 0-4 loss. All over before I finished my bovril.
Forgetting the mags, the 1-4 loss to Portsmouth in the McCarthy era felt very poisonous, especially after Davis got beaten from 45 yards and a fan confronted him on the pitch.
That Portsmouth one was terrible. Proper awful atmosphere that day.

Not sure if I'm missremembering but Boxing Day and NYD home games always seem to be shockers.

Also, although not technically a home game, the away match at Elland Road that was beamed back to Roker Park (1988?), couldn't see a f**king thing due to the sun shining directly on the screen, by the time it was fixed we were 3-0 down.

Leicester mid 80s winter 0-1 Bob hazel header from a corner , absolutely shite😁, gillingham , Hartlepool (cup) howling gale , stoke 0-0 mid 80s absolutely woeful game , Everton (cup 0-2) Charlton 2-3 the righting was on the wall , a few games under butcher Wher chronic. West Ham 0-1 swindlehurst header . Later played for us & was utter gash. Any game involving mick Hartford ended in disaster! … thats enough 😁… still absolutely love this club & proud that we aren’t saudi scum sympathisers (fans) not board 🤬

1988 sunderland 0 walsall 3

The gillingham FA cup 1st round when our goalie had to go into the empty stand to get the ball. That had “kill me now, the club’s already deed!” Vibes.

Most of the 20017-18 season could vie for those places as well.

Then a wildcard….and not even a loss but felt like a terrible one.

Cruising towards automatic in 1998- 2-0 up against QPR,this time of year, 7 mins to gan…..

Enter stage left Mike f’in Sherron.

Felt like I’d been kicked in the plums for about a week.

0-4 against Villa and Palace, maybe in the same season.

0-3 vs Boro I think in the 15 point season.

FA Cup against Everton, totally killed our revival under MoN, laughable own goal by Vaughan.

1-4 vs the Mags and in a weird way the 1-1 when Gyan equalised in the last minute in the game we were supposed to avenge the 5-1.

The Burton relegation game was probably the lowest I've felt.

There are definitely more, the FA Cup mag game wouldn't be in my top 25 I don't think, I was over it immediately such was the difference in budget and the way our fans stuck with the team.
Sunderland 1-2 Doncaster. Horrific match with huge crowd following Defoe re-signing and massive speculation that Keane was going to be there. Probably for anticipation against reality it is the worst game I have ever been to.
That one is a good shout, they were horrendous as well, bottom of the league, and they were much better than us that day. Hard to believe that, Pompey 4-0, Rotherham 5-1, Bolton 6-0 Lincoln 3-0 and Wednesday 3-0 were all in one promotion season! As well as defeats to Cheltenham, Burton and MK Dons.

Last edited:
I'd add the Charlton home game, 1st game of the season after promotion under Mick Mac. With the ease we lost that game to a poor team who played half the game with 10 men. It was clear then that the summer business was clearly not good enough to keep us up.
Haven't read all the posts, but wasn't that Nyron's first appearance when he kicked it out for a corner from the half way line? At least we all had a laugh.

Leicester 0-4 1984
Small crowd
Puked up at the back of the Fulwell
Slept most of the 2nd half

Our supporters branch secretary told us he had arranged for a behind the scenes tour and free tickets for this match.

I was 14 at the time so really excited to see behind the scenes. We got a quick look into a dressing room and the manager’s office and then let into the Main Stand Paddock before watching the team get their arses handed to them through the fencing they had put up earlier in the season.

A complete let down of a day :lol:

Back