Top 5 worst Sunderland home games

Palace and Villa 4 nil before half time spring to mind.
They'd be in mine too.

Boro when they beat us 3-1. Just got back into it and Kilbane gifted them a third.

Getting stuffed at home to Lincoln when Maguire scored a hat-trick was particularly bad.

A 0-1 against Boro stands out in 94/95 under Mick Buxton. We were deep in the relegation mire and it felt like we spent most of the game hitting balls over Craig Russell's head for Vickers and Pearson to clear. Jamie Pollock got the only goal. Hard to see any positives from that evening.

Getting humped off Leicester U21s in the Pizza Cup (or whatever it was called at the time) wasn't great either.

A 0-0 against Sheff United at the end of the 105 point season was something of a let-down, given all that came before.

And a personal 'favourite': FA Cup 4th round vs Birmingham in about 1984. Leading until the last few minutes, then gave away what felt like two identical goals from free kicks. Martin Kuhl's name sticks in my mind for some reason.

Loads of great examples. Still remember an abject, pathetic 3-0 defeat at home to Walsall in about 1989 - they hadn’t won for about 20 games as well.
It was February 1989. For context Walsall had not won in 22 games in all competitions since beating us 2-0 at Fellows Park in the reverse fixture the previous October and were on the back of a 7-0 home defeat to Chelsea in their previous match and were hurtling towards relegation. I don't think we had lost at home in the league all season up to that point but, almost predictably, succumbed to a 3-0 defeat courtesy of Stuart Rimmer's hattrick. A truly awful afternoon and definitely up there with the worst home game I've witnessed and, believe me, there have been plenty.

What’s the worst 5 you’ve been to? A memory popped up from “on this day” which got me thinking about it.

1. Mags 1-4 2006
2. Mags 0-3 2024
3. Everton 0-2 FA cup 2012
4. Crystal Palace 2-1 Play off semi 2004
5. Mags 0-1 2011
Went to 3,4,5 of and they were all bad.

An honourable mention to Millwall semi final 2004 (fuck me 20 years ago next week :eek: )
Us and stoke have served up some classics down the years
I remember an absolute shocker around 2010 when the only thing that happened all game was whitehead should have got a straight red for a kick

Last edited:
Palace under Poyet
Always remember that one because outside after the third went in some mentalist was snapping him and his kids season card and then just for added effect stamped on them a few times:lol::lol:
Keanes last game at home to Bolton when Gordon almost single handedly cost us 4 goals.
I know he was decent sometimes but people forget he also had a fair amount of abysmal games

Last edited:
What’s the worst 5 you’ve been to? A memory popped up from “on this day” which got me thinking about it.

1. Mags 1-4 2006
2. Mags 0-3 2024
3. Everton 0-2 FA cup 2012
4. Crystal Palace 2-1 Play off semi 2004
5. Mags 0-1 2011
Sunderland 1-2 Doncaster. Horrific match with huge crowd following Defoe re-signing and massive speculation that Keane was going to be there. Probably for anticipation against reality it is the worst game I have ever been to.

A 0-1 against Boro stands out in 94/95 under Mick Buxton. We were deep in the relegation mire and it felt like we spent most of the game hitting balls over Craig Russell's head for Vickers and Pearson to clear. Jamie Pollock got the only goal. Hard to see any positives from that evening.

Getting humped off Leicester U21s in the Pizza Cup (or whatever it was called at the time) wasn't great either.

A 0-0 against Sheff United at the end of the 105 point season was something of a let-down, given all that came before.

And a personal 'favourite': FA Cup 4th round vs Birmingham in about 1984. Leading until the last few minutes, then gave away what felt like two identical goals from free kicks. Martin Kuhl's name sticks in my mind for some reason.
The Boro game. One high point was the outstanding ‘Jamie Pollock ugly bastard’ chant but even then he spoilt it by scoring mind chant ‘Jamie Pollock ugerl………’ fuck of ya bastad mutant twat 😐

The most fantastic and at the same time, horrific game...Gillingham play off 1987. Dramatic, astonishing match, absolutely gutting, I felt rung out and numb afterwards, couldn't take it in

League cup 1982, lost 1-0 to Palace.
Swansea home under Moyes, lost 2-0
Boro -home lost 3-0 early 2000s
Stockport league cup 1980 , lost 2-1 ( couple of days earlier got 1-1 draw at Man U )
Stoke league cup 1978, lost 2-0 Jackie Ashurst sent off in first half when already 1-0 down

That rings a bell. Weren't they in Div 4 at the time ?

Back