this progress that Poyet alludes to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exactly what I said 10 mins before kick off, I can see us getting beat here.
Pleasantly surprised by the football we played, looked like a decent outfit for a lot of the time.

As did most people mate. I expected to be given a complete football lesson being honest, I was surprised how easy we nullified them.

Put it this way, you know when you used to watch premiership games where we weren't involved and you could see that both sides were in the top division, then our game would roll along and it would look and feel a lot different. Well, it wasn't like that yesterday.

This is perfect. :lol:

As soon as we start conceding we'll be sinking into the relegation zone

Oh hang on

It's a 'Yes' from me. Defensively more solid. Also midfielders who can actually beat an opposition player and have the vision to find one of our own players with a pass. It seems that the only question mark concerns our strikers and, although it's a bit worrying at the moment with the quality (or lack of) of the four we've got, we have got midfielders who can compensate and get us goals. One or two strikers in the January window is essential. But, overall I'm more confident than I was at this point last season.

can everybody see it
No.
Its alright to say that we are drawing games that we lost last year, but that presupposes that we'll also win games that we won last year. Thats not a given.
I'm particularly concerned about the lack of goals.
We've been in this league now, what, 6. 7 seasons? yet we fail to beat QPR and Burnley.
For me, real progress is beating these teams AND THEN drawing games we would have lost.
So right now I dont see anything has changed. QPR and Burnley will be amongst the teams at the bottom this season. If we dont start getting wins soon, so will we.

I think we have progressed in certain areas. We look more confident in possession, offer options from midfield, play less hoof ball and actually look to have the ability squad wise, to change formation. The really important thing for me though, and was last season, is we seriously have no goal threat to speak of. This is an area where I can't see any progress at all, and it does worry me.

No.
Its alright to say that we are drawing games that we lost last year, but that presupposes that we'll also win games that we won last year. Thats not a given.
I'm particularly concerned about the lack of goals.
We've been in this league now, what, 6. 7 seasons? yet we fail to beat QPR and Burnley.
For me, real progress is beating these teams AND THEN drawing games we would have lost.
So right now I dont see anything has changed. QPR and Burnley will be amongst the teams at the bottom this season. If we dont start getting wins soon, so will we.

2 sides to the coin here , after last seasons heroics for one reason or another the summer window left us desperately short up front . The strange thing is Fletcher can score goals in this league and Wickham has shown in glimpses he too can find the back of the net , unfortunately for us both are having a mare this season otherwise one or 2 of these draws could have been wins . A big performance improvement yesterday gives a bit more hope and il say it again i would have Mandron on the bench and use him .

can everybody see it

I'm not everybody - just somebody - but what I saw yesterday looked a damn sight better than what I've seen served up over the last 2 or 3 years in many games and certainly a lot better than our previous games this season. I liked the look of Jones, Buckley and Alvarez and the team seemed to play the passing game a lot better than before. Not the finished article - but work in progress.

I'm not everybody - just somebody - but what I saw yesterday looked a damn sight better than what I've seen served up over the last 2 or 3 years in many games and certainly a lot better than our previous games this season. I liked the look of Jones, Buckley and Alvarez and the team seemed to play the passing game a lot better than before. Not the finished article - but work in progress.
Really impressed with these lads yesterday, particularly Jones and Buckley. Added pace and looked to get forward whenever they could. Still the problem of who to get the ball to in the area, but agree totally, we do look to be able to create more than we have for some time. Just the elusive finisher is what we still lack mate.

2 sides to the coin here , after last seasons heroics for one reason or another the summer window left us desperately short up front . The strange thing is Fletcher can score goals in this league and Wickham has shown in glimpses he too can find the back of the net , unfortunately for us both are having a mare this season otherwise one or 2 of these draws could have been wins . A big performance improvement yesterday gives a bit more hope and il say it again i would have Mandron on the bench and use him .

Thing is though, could haves and maybes dont count. Only points do. I'd happily play shite for 13 games if we won them 1-0, then had 25 games where we picked up another 10-15 points, if it meant a 10th place finish or better. But same old Sunderland, we seem to do well against the better teams, draw against the newly promoted ones, and get beat off those around us.
Why is it that Southampton, despite having been in the league a shorter time than us, are seen as ahead of us? Why are Swansea? Why Newcastle? They're bottom, but no pundit dare suggest they will be relegated, yet with us, they say its possible.... whys that then?

I appreciate what poyet is trying to do but I think this style needs speeding up.

I agree that theyre getting better at doing what he wants.....I just wish what he wants was done at a higher tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back