this progress that Poyet alludes to

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in better shape than when he took over of that there is no doubt. Not getting a striker over the summer was suicidal though.

I know its early days. Its a short step from "played 6, points 5" to "Played 15, points 11" then "Played 20, points 14"...... etc

I dont have much confidence in any of the current strikers. Their form is pretty woeful and the warning signs have been there since pre-season, for anyone who wanted to see them.
there's not been enough games played for any of this shite mate

You're just making this up as you go along aren't you?
You're just making this up as you go along aren't you?
I would imagine a debate with the lead from memento would feel something like this

I just care about results really.

The facts are we are 5th from bottom and we are only one of three sides who are yet to win a league game.

We've drawn against west brom away, Man Utd, Spurs and Swansea at home. All games we lost last year. How can you not see an improvement.

Now the question is to somehow beat the sides we drew against at home last year - Hull, Burnley, Palace Stoke, Villa, Leicester, Qpr ( the ones in bold substitute Norwich & Fulham). Here lies the key to our having a relatively relaxed year in the Premier.

I don't know, when I used to go to games four or five years ago when we had Bent up front I used to know that there was a very good chance we'd score goals and we'd probably get a result no matter who we were against.

These days its a grind every game against the rubbish of the league.

It's a 'Yes' from me. Defensively more solid. Also midfielders who can actually beat an opposition player and have the vision to find one of our own players with a pass. It seems that the only question mark concerns our strikers and, although it's a bit worrying at the moment with the quality (or lack of) of the four we've got, we have got midfielders who can compensate and get us goals. One or two strikers in the January window is essential. But, overall I'm more confident than I was at this point last season.

Even the strikers would look better if they moved a bit more and the midfield were looking to give them an early ball now and again. I despair when it is left for O'Shea to be the one making the pass from just over the half way line.

Yes. We are solid, but also have a clear idea of what needs improving i.e the final 3rd. I am glad it's there to see so clearly, as if we were losing, it becomes a hell of a lot more clouded and harder to see what needs to be done. He is still figuring out his best front 4 imo and once that's settled I think we'll be a decent little side.

We have no movement in attack and the tempo is too slow. Possession is fine, but we need to be able to counter and go route one as well. At this rate, we will struggle for 38 points. 7 wins. 17 draws. 14 losses. :confused:

Thing is though, could haves and maybes dont count. Only points do. I'd happily play shite for 13 games if we won them 1-0, then had 25 games where we picked up another 10-15 points, if it meant a 10th place finish or better. But same old Sunderland, we seem to do well against the better teams, draw against the newly promoted ones, and get beat off those around us.
Why is it that Southampton, despite having been in the league a shorter time than us, are seen as ahead of us? Why are Swansea? Why Newcastle? They're bottom, but no pundit dare suggest they will be relegated, yet with us, they say its possible.... whys that then?

I understand your frustration but I'm also willing to accept that those teams you mention had a footballing philosophy and spent transfer money wisely on players to fit their system; or had a very good youth system to bring players through. At the same time, we've had a bunch of managers who have spent badly/haphazardly and a youth set up that hasn't produced a large volume of players ready for the first team, all of which means that we are way behind some less established clubs at the moment; however, I can see progress in terms of philosophy and recruitment that focuses on the system rather than who is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back