The Outside Noise

Kent Boy 2

Striker
After everything that has happened since New Year’s Day (never mind the last 50 years), is there another club in world football capable of getting an attendance of 41,394 in the second tier?

When the owner and manager both engage fully with that support, and truly get what it means, then our club is unstoppable. In my 50 years watching the lads, it’s happened twice. Murray with Reid. Quinn with Keane.

I agree.
Frustrating thing is this should be the easy bit - it’s not that hard to engage with the fans. I also don’t think Beale has made any real attempt to connect with the fans/

Last edited:
The vast majority bought ticket for today's game months ago.
Had we been playing Stoke in the cup today we would have been looking at a sub 20,000 crowd, such is the apathy around the club right now.

A few lads who stand with us didn’t go today with season tickets. I imagine it was the same across the ground. To say it’s 41k is an absolute joke on our selves
My guess is there was probably around 36-37k in attendance. The club has to report the numbers based on tickets sold. If 4 or 5 thousand didn't turn up that shows level of discontent.
I still think our support is incredible. Couple more wins and they will return.

After everything that has happened since New Year’s Day (never mind the last 50 years), is there another club in world football capable of getting an attendance of 41,394 in the second tier?

When the owner and manager both engage fully with that support, and truly get what it means, then our club is unstoppable. In my 50 years watching the lads, it’s happened twice. Murray with Reid. Quinn with Keane.
Newcastle but that’s not the point you’re really making. The fact that we average 10-15k higher than anyone else shows the sized of our club. We have no right On this basis to be in the prem but I don’t think anyone can argue a fan base this size deserves to be there.

Newcastle but that’s not the point you’re really making. The fact that we average 10-15k higher than anyone else shows the sized of our club. We have no right On this basis to be in the prem but I don’t think anyone can argue a fan base this size deserves to be there.
Do you think that there would be 41k at a Newcastle game against Stoke if they were a second division team who had spent 4 years in L1, then in the past 3 weeks had lost 3-0 at home to Sunderland (having been to move their fans from the Gallowgate), followed by horrific performances (whilst losing) to Ipswich and Hull?

The attendances are a lie.
It's tickets sold.

Officially only 3k less today than the Mags.

Should just scrap the whole thing or give the correct number.

I dont think either of those 2 runs had a great deal to do with engaging the fans, Murray had just had a red card protest when Reid changed the place around.

Quinn had fans on his side the same way Donald did, one won for a while and the other didn't. Quinn fell out with the fans the same way every owner in my time has, said the club had become something he didn't think it was when people were whinging about the paint around the stadium.

How does that equate to long term success on the field ?

Back