The Demise of the Workingmens Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in East Durham - makes you realise how much disposable income was lost since the mid eighties. Pubs and clubs closed. I could list many in every pit village.
Living in North Durham I have seen more pubs & clubs close since the recession hit than anything on a scale like it before
nowt to do with the reduction in mining or ship building

Ok. Many have closed. But it's not just the last 5 year.

I'm 44. I remember lots of working men clubs thriving. Pubs too. They have been closed more than 20 years.

Murton - travellers, Demi club, legion club, karesbourough, colliery inn. All closed at the end of 80s to early 90s. Tough. Not enough money in the village.

Was about to type a reply and wasn't sure how to spell part of the band name I was going to mention, so Googled it and much to my surprise not only found it but also a video of them and loads of other stuff!

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=rue and the rockets

Used to see them regularly on the CIU circuit late '60s/early '70s and in those days they were a lot "heavier" than the video suggests!

Anyone else remember them?

That's just bull shit.

It basically comes down to them being run by older folk who won't move with the times & cater for the younger generation

What a pile of shit.

WMC have been catering for younguns for years.

Have seen some great bands on local WMC over the years

Nothing lasts forever.I had to do that in a Freddie Murcury voice.

They 've had their time.I'm not sad to see them go.Their peak was about half a generation before me.Old mens places.Always smokey places (non smoker here) places,and so,places to be avoided.

Where do you suggest old men should go for a few pints and a bit crack with their mates then? Ttonic?

Used to love our club, sadly shut down a few year's ago. Cheap beer, football on the telly, darts, pool and dominoe handicaps. Magic.
Horses for courses like but if I live to be a hundred, aside from the football the rest of that would bore me into me grave.

Ok. Many have closed. But it's not just the last 5 year.

I'm 44. I remember lots of working men clubs thriving. Pubs too. They have been closed more than 20 years.

Murton - travellers, Demi club, legion club, karesbourough, colliery inn. All closed at the end of 80s to early 90s. Tough. Not enough money in the village.
Not emough money? Or do people prefer going out to eat these days?

Horses for courses like but if I live to be a hundred, aside from the football the rest of that would bore me into me grave.

Horses for courses indeed. I know I am not a young lad (48) but I like nothing better than sitting in the club with the old blokes having a chat, often a sing song, entering the domino handicap etc. Mind you, I can't f***ing stand women. I'm married, you see?

Was about to type a reply and wasn't sure how to spell part of the band name I was going to mention, so Googled it and much to my surprise not only found it but also a video of them and loads of other stuff!

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=rue and the rockets

Used to see them regularly on the CIU circuit late '60s/early '70s and in those days they were a lot "heavier" than the video suggests!

Anyone else remember them?

No - ..just roll over and die.

It coincided with the demise of the working man...

Used to be a case that a load of gadgies spilled out of work at the same time from mines/factories, now it's stuck behind a desk or working from home etc the working class who supported them isn't the same.

Anyone remember this feature in the Footy Echo every week?

Logon or register to see this image

That's from me copy on the day Sunlun won the cup. 6 clubs in Seaham! Dunno how many are still gannin mind. Roy Walker (it's a good guess, but it's not right) deeing Newbottle club on a Wednesday neet. Dixielanders on at Steels on a Wednesday. Smokey playing the Redhouse Club. They must have had money! 19 of the clubs are in Sunderland. 9 are still open as far as I'm aware.

Smokey playing the Redhouse Club. They must have had money!

I seem to recall Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdinck appearing there within a few weeks of each other in the '60s and being told tales of how many Fed Brewery tankers used to roll up every week (iirc it was 5).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back