The Demise of the Workingmens Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love gan up my local workies club & I'm 43
Cheap beer been the key

Is it though?
e.g. Horden for example, the 2 most expensive places in the village (The Bell & Big Club(now gone)) were the most popular with the younger generation.
Reason being is that they catered for the young & old people didn't go there.

It's the same reason why they're more than happy to pay over the odds in the town for drinks

Kids simply don't want to play bingo & listen to turns

Is it though?
e.g. Horden for example, the 2 most expensive places in the village (The Bell & Big Club(now gone)) were the most popular with the younger generation.
Reason being is that they catered for the young & old people didn't go there.

It's the same reason why they're more than happy to pay over the odds in the town for drinks

Kids simply don't want to play bingo & listen to turns

This is the thing that baffles me about clubs, the majority are huge so just turn one room that's not being used much into a pub with its own entrance. No club cards or signing in, footy on the telly, jukebox, a pool table and cheap beer.
It won't interrupt the bingo and if you want to see a turn/get your dabber out/play snooker/talk to your dad, you can pay your subs and get past the old bloke getting free beer all night.

This is the thing that baffles me about clubs, the majority are huge so just turn one room that's not being used much into a pub with its own entrance. No club cards or signing in, footy on the telly, jukebox, a pool table and cheap beer.
It won't interrupt the bingo and if you want to see a turn/get your dabber out/play snooker/talk to your dad, you can pay your subs and get past the old bloke getting free beer all night.

the big room is being used, it's for the shite turn.
If there's no entertainment the old'uns will complain

one of the two mates comes with us when we go to Ibrox and we always have a class time on the drink. The idea of WMCs is not appealing to anyone over the age of 40 though imo.

Bloke who comes in our club runs the Pompey Gers. Top lad he is. Has a Rangers bar in his back garden (try googling it).

Being able to tell someone to move out of your seat is a class feeling mind. I'm a bit more diplomatic though than most who simply say 'hew. shift.'

the big room is being used, it's for the shite turn.
If there's no entertainment the old'uns will complain

Aye but a lot of clubs had two 'turn' rooms, Newbottle being one, and if Herrington club can't find a space for a 'pub' with no competition for half a mile each way i'll eat me hat, then again Herrington turned down a substantial amount for their club and land with guarantees they would build a new club for them, heating that place must cost a fortune.

just my opinion :neutral:
Fair enough but people find it too easy to blame the ban. I reckon it's much more to do with not moving with the times, the Internet age, cheap booze from tesco etc, recession, debt, lack of disposable income due to demanding kids, demise of communities, X Factor, strictly, apathy plus many many more before you even get to the smoking ban.
Just my opinion of course

Well i've just got back from the club and to be honest i'll stick to what i said earlier,just no young people going in,the band were ok mind (for a change), bit Kinks, Lindisfarne, Thin Lizzy, REM....but it's a different generation from who goes to the club and who doesn't nowadays, the smoking ban hasn't helped them but that aside if i was in my 20's - 30's again i wouldn't be bothering.

WMCs are boring. That's the be all and end all of it. Entertainment and technology has developed so much that young'uns no longer see the attraction of sitting supping away for 2 hours in a dull room with very little going on.

This may be a surprise to you, but the world does not revolve around young'uns. You have your city centre bars and nightclubs, will you still be hanging around those places in your 50's and 60's or will you just be stopping in as there is nowhere for your generation to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back