The company that "invented" PCs reckons....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a MacBook in 2009 and it has been fantastic would have bought another one if I'd had the money.

Purchased that laptop I posted in the thread the other day @PTR I'm hoping to get 5-7 years out of that too for half the price of a mac.
Yeh, I was half thinking of asking you to get me one while you were on. Cracking bit of kit - just hope they haven' t cut corners somewhere to hit that price for such good specs.

Yep. Bet they are shitting themselves!
Windows 10 is good as well. Breath of fresh air compared to the windows 8 fiasco.
Remember, whatever silly billy says, it'll be the opposite ;)
I hardly ever notice who posts what mate. Memory like a goldfish tbh

I stopped reading when it said IBM invented the PC.
2 camps.

1 - MACs *ARE* PCs. Therefore IBM didn't invent the PC
2 - MACs are not PCs; PCs are all based on IBM Compatible computers

Last edited:

Yeh, I was half thinking of asking you to get me one while you were on. Cracking bit of kit - just hope they haven' t cut corners somewhere to hit that price for such good specs.

It was 634 quid without the student discount (code can only be used once) it's a refurb mind so it'll be luck of the draw how bad the scratches are ... im really not arsed about it having Scratched casing , it goes through all the dell QA checks before it's allowed to be sold on the Dell outlet too

Interesting. I find them more difficult to use. They have nailed the mobile os but I prefer windows for a desktop.
This, bought my daughter one and I hate it. I needed a laptop 3 months later and went for a Windows os

Without reading the article how does 300% cheaper work?

If something is 50% cheaper it's half price. If it's 100% cheaper it's free.

:confused:
You buy one and get three free

Hardware wise, Macs are just single sourced PCs anyway. That can be a good or bad thing.

The real debate here is MacOS v. Windows, OS and ecosystem.

Since Windows 10 is the biggest pile of steaming otter droppings there's ever been, and no-one wants Windows mobile devices, I'd be worried if I was Microsoft.

I'm not even dressed yet and already I'm having to work out why a laptop keeps failing to install a 770mb Windows feature upgrade I never asked for, before spending 10 mins unwinding itself then rebooting. Over and over.
You are wrong about Microsoft. Their business model has changed over the last few years. The primary focus of their business is selling services now.

Windows 10 is a gateway to their Microsoft and Xbox store. This will become more prominent over the next few years. In the business world, Microsoft office 365 and Azure market share is growing fast. This allows companies to have a fully backed up, off premise IT solution with masses of automation potential.

They are also developing technology like hololens which is augmented reality. I can see this taking off in a big way very soon.

Some of that might go over your head if you are not in the IT world. To put it simply, Microsoft are on the up again.

I'm not a Microsoft fan boy by the way and I enjoy all technology. I own all types of devices and all have their purposes. I agree about windows updates but it is getting better. The only thing i dislike about windows 10 is the sharing of WiFi networks. I always turn that off.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are wrong about Microsoft. Their business model has changed over the last few years. The primary focus of their business is selling services now.

Windows 10 is a gateway to their Microsoft and Xbox store. This will become more prominent over the next few years. In the business world, Microsoft office 365 and Azure market share is growing fast. This allows companies to have a fully backed up, off premise IT solution with masses of automation potential.

They are also developing technology like hololens which is augmented reality. I can see this taking off in a big way very soon.

Some of that might go over your head if you are not in the IT world. To put it simply, Microsoft are on the up again.

I'm not a Microsoft fan boy by the way and I enjoy all technology. I own all types of devices and all have their purposes. I agree about windows updates but it is getting better. The only thing i dislike about windows 10 is the sharing of WiFi networks. I always turn that off.
Let's make it simple.

Do you agree that the future is cloud and mobile? Imho it's hard to argue otherwise.

Do you agree that MS already lost half of that - mobile? Well you have to. The evidence is overwhelming. Google reigns supreme.

That leaves cloud. Yes Azure currently contributes to their bottom line, around 10% iirc, but Amazon AWS reigns supreme for SaS and Google for search.

When WIN32 dominated the desktop MS had no realistic competitors. Now they're losing that, have lost mobile, and are a distant second in cloud.

And seriously, take a look at their recent track record. Bought Nokia - fail. Bing -fail. Bought Skype - fail. Vista - fail. Windows RT - fail. Windows 8 - fail. Windows 10 desktop - have to give away free. Windows 10 mobile - fail. Microsoft Kin - fail. Microsoft Zune - fail. Microsoft store - fail. Bought Fast - fail. Bought Yammer social network -fail. Bought aQuantive (online advertising) - mega fail, $8bn, bought LinkedIn -wtf? Attempted purchases of salesforce ($50bn) and yahoo - fail.

A company with money in the bank always has a chance. Hence a rubber boot manufacturer becoming the world's largest mobile technology company (Nokia).

But I'd say that MS hasn't demonstrated enough strategic nous to head off worries about its declining core markets.

Last edited:
IBM PCs were "knocked together" rather than invented. Made from components "off the shelf".
Of course. But they did set a standard that was overwhelmingly accepted as "THE Standard PC" for which operating systems (i.e. DOS) was written to work on.

Of course. But they did set a standard that was overwhelmingly accepted as "THE Standard PC" for which operating systems (i.e. DOS) was written to work on.
Not exactly "invented" though, more like they made a list. Like when you go shopping. :lol:

Bought Skype - fail.
I think you misunderstand how widely used Skype is in the business place. Its practically replaced the telephone in the last 3 places I've worked.

Win10 isn't a fail either - its a huge success if you also stop thinking of it as a desktop OS, and think of it as a gateway to services, which is the whole point.

AWS is great, if you want apps. O365 is THE place to be for Office though - MS are behind the general cloud curve here because businesses like the idea of the cloud, but for now they're happy to pay the license fee for the fat client. When that changes, the amount of cloud business MS has will rocket. Its a cannibalising things of course, but so is everything in the cloud - replacing fat client with thin.[/QUOTE]

Let's make it simple.

Do you agree that the future is cloud and mobile? Imho it's hard to argue otherwise.

Do you agree that MS already lost half of that - mobile? Well you have to. The evidence is overwhelming. Google reigns supreme.

That leaves cloud. Yes Azure currently contributes to their bottom line, around 10% iirc, but Amazon AWS reigns supreme for SaS and Google for search.

When WIN32 dominated the desktop MS had no realistic competitors. Now they're losing that, have lost mobile, and are a distant second in cloud.

And seriously, take a look at their recent track record. Bought Nokia - fail. Bing -fail. Bought Skype - fail. Vista - fail. Windows RT - fail. Windows 8 - fail. Windows 10 desktop - have to give away free. Windows 10 mobile - fail. Microsoft Kin - fail. Microsoft Zune - fail. Microsoft store - fail. Bought Fast - fail. Bought Yammer social network -fail. Bought aQuantive (online advertising) - mega fail, $8bn, bought LinkedIn -wtf? Attempted purchases of salesforce ($50bn) and yahoo - fail.

A company with money in the bank always has a chance. Hence a rubber boot manufacturer becoming the world's largest mobile technology company (Nokia).

But I'd say that MS hasn't demonstrated enough strategic nouse to head off worries about its declining core markets.
If Skype & the whole O365 / Azure are fails in your world, by that measurement, Sunderland failing to win the Premier League, all domestic trophies and Champions League as well as contributing all 11 players to the European and World Cup winning teams would be nothing short of a disaster.

I think you misunderstand how widely used Skype is in the business place. Its practically replaced the telephone in the last 3 places I've worked.

Win10 isn't a fail either - its a huge success if you also stop thinking of it as a desktop OS, and think of it as a gateway to services, which is the whole point.

AWS is great, if you want apps. O365 is THE place to be for Office though - MS are behind the general cloud curve here because businesses like the idea of the cloud, but for now they're happy to pay the license fee for the fat client. When that changes, the amount of cloud business MS has will rocket. Its a cannibalising things of course, but so is everything in the cloud - replacing fat client with thin.
This

Reactions: PTR
Let's make it simple.

But I'd say that MS hasn't demonstrated enough strategic nous to head off worries about its declining core markets.
Cloud isn't the future, it's already here. Microsoft are playing the long game and have deep pockets to do it.

It is widely forecast that Azure will overtake aws and certainly in the uk it looks to be that way. Microsoft have just built secure government and public datacentres in the uk. With Powershell and .Net integration it will have massive benefits over aws due to it being native. Nothing can touch active directory, office or Skype for business in the corporate world either. Add that to the ever expanding Linux and docker features coming and it's a very appealing offering.

Eventually AR has the potential to replace mobile in my opinion too, although that is pure speculation on my part. If that happens then they are perfectly positioned along side Google.

Windows 10 is offered for free in order to get everyone using the Microsoft store. That's where the real money can be made. It's no longer about operating systems but more about what services we use.

Life has moved on and so has Microsoft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's make it simple.

So in your opinion ms are in decline but will still outlast Apple?

I wonder if this will become mainstream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back