The company that "invented" PCs reckons....

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's not that they're difficult its just things are simplified and in different places,they don't have so many settings and as an experienced Windows user I constantly try and fiddle with windows.

MacOS is the same. Remember it's effectively a fork of Unix with a fancy UI.

It's both easy for a novice to pick up and use and also very customisable/tweakable.

However you don't need to tweak away to get the best out of the machine. That's a huge bonus. It's slick and fast out of the box. So i don't need to mess about anywhere near as much as I needed to with Windows.

It's not that they're difficult its just things are simplified and in different places,they don't have so many settings and as an experienced Windows user I constantly try and fiddle with windows.

MacOS is the same. Remember it's effectively a fork of Unix with a fancy UI.

It's both easy for a novice to pick up and use and also very customisable/tweakable.

However you don't need to tweak away to get the best out of the machine. That's a huge bonus. It's slick and fast out of the box. So i don't need to mess about anywhere near as much as I needed to with Windows.

300℅

I doubt them figures....

Unless IBM had just put out a shit windows build so that the PCs constantly had to be rebuilt and needed a huge servicedesk
Nowt to do with the windows build I don't think,theyve trialed a load of Macs and get less hassle from them so they're getting more. On a much much smaller scale I look after a small office,they had windows PCs and pay a yearly sub for internet security.it was a nice little earner for me keeping them going until they were just too old. I suggested they trial an iMac,they did and then bought another. I rarely get a phone call now,the only issue they had was with timemachine.

I work in print/design and use a lot of Adobe products, so for me it'd be daft to use a windows computer at work. It works loads better on Mac.

At home I've got a windows laptop though, much higher spec for much cheaper and the only thing I use it for is Footy Manager.

Hardware wise, Macs are just single sourced PCs anyway. That can be a good or bad thing.

The real debate here is MacOS v. Windows, OS and ecosystem.

Since Windows 10 is the biggest pile of steaming otter droppings there's ever been, and no-one wants Windows mobile devices, I'd be worried if I was Microsoft.

I'm not even dressed yet and already I'm having to work out why a laptop keeps failing to install a 770mb Windows feature upgrade I never asked for, before spending 10 mins unwinding itself then rebooting. Over and over.

Since Windows 10 is the biggest pile of steaming otter droppings there's ever been, and no-one wants Windows mobile devices, I'd be worried if I was Microsoft.
Their share price is at all time highs isn't it?

"In other words, when you add in all the software a company has to buy from Microsoft to run and manage its Windows devices, Windows PCs are 3 times more expensive"

So, nothing at all to do with the hardware, but instead the software they chose to purchase to run on said devices.
AKA, a bullshit argument.

The rest of the article is more interesting - the satisfaction levels being higher and less faults reported. That's genuinely useful information for an enterprise environment.

The thing is, a system that does less, and is compatible with less is less likely to break. Its that simple really.
And these days, its all about apps, so it doesn't really matter what platform you're on.

Last edited:
Yep. Bet they are shitting themselves!

Windows 10 is good as well. Breath of fresh air compared to the windows 8 fiasco.

Remember, whatever silly billy says, it'll be the opposite ;)
Some of us consider more than the start menu.

In 30 years of being involved with Windows I've never experienced anything as bug ridden, even >1 year after RTM. Currently, even the (forced) fixes break the OS into an unusable state for tens of thousands of users, because of the bugs in the (forced) update subsystem. Myself included.

And after the immense technical achievement of unifying the code for x86/PC and ARM/mobile platforms, in Windows 10, it turns out that no-one wants to buy the latter. That has a Nokia-like smell of "too little, too late" about it.

Why don't you give us the benefit of your experience and analysis? A bit more than "oh man it's purdy".

Their share price is at all time highs isn't it?

"In other words, when you add in all the software a company has to buy from Microsoft to run and manage its Windows devices, Windows PCs are 3 times more expensive"

So, nothing at all to do with the hardware, but instead the software they chose to purchase to run on said devices.
AKA, a bullshit argument.

The rest of the article is more interesting - the satisfaction levels being higher and less faults reported. That's genuinely useful information for an enterprise environment.

The thing is, a system that does less, and is compatible with less is less likely to break. Its that simple really.
And these days, its all about apps, so it doesn't really matter what platform you're on.
Yeah I agree with most of that. But I wouldn't read too much into the share price compared to other indicators. Their profits are stagnant, they face stagnation and decline in their core markets (OS, Office) and they're no longer the leading player in core emerging technologies (cloud, mobile). And when was the last time they made a successful acquisition?

They'll last longer than Apple, but imho the future belongs to Google, Amazon, Samsung and some that we haven't heard of yet.

Edit: have a read of this. They're a bit contrarian but make some good points.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTR
Some of us consider more than the start menu.

In 30 years of being involved with Windows I've never experienced anything as bug ridden, even >1 year after RTM. Currently, even the (forced) fixes break the OS into an unusable state for tens of thousands of users, because of the bugs in the (forced) update subsystem. Myself included.

And after the immense technical achievement of unifying the code for x86/PC and ARM/mobile platforms, in Windows 10, it turns out that no-one wants to buy the latter. That has a Nokia-like smell of "too little, too late" about it.

Why don't you give us the benefit of your experience and analysis? A bit more than "oh man it's purdy".

Yeah I agree with most of that. But I wouldn't read too much into the share price compared to other indicators. Their profits are stagnant, they face stagnation and decline in their core markets (OS, Office) and they're no longer the leading player in core emerging technologies (cloud, mobile). And when was the last time they made a successful acquisition?

They'll last longer than Apple, but imho the future belongs to Google, Amazon, Samsung and some that we haven't heard of yet.

Edit: have a read of this. They're a bit contrarian but make some good points.
You speak some shit mind

Not surprising.

The macOS operating system is designed to work with only the limited set of specified components that Apple puts into their hardware. It is a far easier thing to maintain and keep right than Windows, which is required to work on pretty much any piece of hardware built with components from a far looser set of standards.

Of course, you pay Apple a massive premium for this.

Bought a MacBook in 2009 and it has been fantastic would have bought another one if I'd had the money.

Purchased that laptop I posted in the thread the other day @PTR I'm hoping to get 5-7 years out of that too for half the price of a mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back