Tesco

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think one of the worst things Tesco have done is in regards to their massive influence on town planning. For example, in the town of Hucknall, just outside of Nottingham, Tesco have planted a ginormous store some years ag............

On the other hand, they have really improved some areas. Where I used to live, there was a local store which was always grotty, stock always bordering the sell by date, grumpy slow staff and the range of stock was rubbish. For bread they had a limited choice of dry sliced bread, wine was Hock or Lambrini and beer was Stella or Fosters. Worst of all, they used to sell to underage kids, or there used to always be a gang of them drunk hanging around outside. There were a couple of takeaways next to it, with the Indian always being a focus of vandalism. If I wanted to buy anything, I often used to drive straight past to the big Tesco. A couple of times for takeaway, things were kicking off with the drunk kids and I would head elsewhere.

Then Tesco moved in. Supported by their bigger local store then started stocking a massive range of wine, cheese and beer. They installed a small bakery giving good fresh bread. They also implemented a strict alcohol policy which stopped it getting into the hands of the kids. Within weeks, the kids moved on, Tesco worked with the local council to clean up the area, turnover went up massively at the takeaways. The pub put tables outside again and a couple of new outlets moved into the area. One year later you could hardly recognize the place

I'd say that would be in addition to larger stores. There's no way there's been a huge shift to everyone wanting to go back to shopping locally in a 400sq ft store. I think they've realised they've got enough (or nearly enough) superstores so want to expand thus must expand in the smaller metro style stores.
Forecasts reckon the convenience, discount and online shopping market segments are expected to grow by 12, 11 and 10% over the next couple of years. Large supermarket segment is expected to fall by 20%. People are doing more, smaller shops. Problem for Tesco and morrissons is that they don't have many convenience stores, they aren't as cheap as aldi/lidl and they don't offer the quality of m&s or waitrose. They don't have anything unique to offer. They can't just plough into convenience as they need to do something to turn around the large stores, convenience won't bridge the gap for them.

To their credit they employ a lot of people but all i think of with supermarkets is shafting suppliers,killing small business and pleasing shareholders

Forecasts reckon the convenience, discount and online shopping market segments are expected to grow by 12, 11 and 10% over the next couple of years. Large supermarket segment is expected to fall by 20%. People are doing more, smaller shops. Problem for Tesco and morrissons is that they don't have many convenience stores, they aren't as cheap as aldi/lidl and they don't offer the quality of m&s or waitrose. They don't have anything unique to offer. They can't just plough into convenience as they need to do something to turn around the large stores, convenience won't bridge the gap for them.

People may be doing more locally, as a percentage, but in general, we're not going to move back to local , daily shopping frequently like pre fridge/car popularity.

Tesco have quite a few smaller stores, Morrisons sold almost all of theirs after their acquisition of Safeway, I guess that may have been a little short sighted of them. The larger supermarkets still have the lion's share of the market and will continue to, they just don't want to lose the market share they have (or more) so they're looking at competing in smaller stores too.

Asda purchased Netto and turned some of them into smaller Asdas (Ryhope for example). Tesco have Metro/Express stores.

People may be doing more locally, as a percentage, but in general, we're not going to move back to local , daily shopping frequently like pre fridge/car popularity.

Tesco have quite a few smaller stores, Morrisons sold almost all of theirs after their acquisition of Safeway, I guess that may have been a little short sighted of them. The larger supermarkets still have the lion's share of the market and will continue to, they just don't want to lose the market share they have (or more) so they're looking at competing in smaller stores too.

Asda purchased Netto and turned some of them into smaller Asdas (Ryhope for example). Tesco have Metro/Express stores.
You might think Tesco have a lot of smaller stores because of their high St presence but they're the 7/8 biggest convenience super market, they're miles behind the likes of spar, Co-op, nisa, londis in terms of numbers. I don't even remember seeing asda/netto in the top 10.

They must be getting desperate, they're selling £10 vouchers for a fiver now

http://www.mightydeals.co.uk/Produc..._Marketing&utm_campaign=Affiliate_Window_Sale

You might think Tesco have a lot of smaller stores because of their high St presence but they're the 7/8 biggest convenience super market, they're miles behind the likes of spar, Co-op, nisa, londis in terms of numbers. I don't even remember seeing asda/netto in the top 10.

Aye, they want a larger piece of the convenience pie but it doesn't mean the majority are going to start shopping locally and often.

They dont help themselves like. My staff discount was still working 6 months after I left.The one near me has suffered recently. Got an Aldi and Lidl within walking distance so lot of people are understandably getting all majority from there and just getting little bits and bobs from Tesco

Aye, they want a larger piece of the convenience pie but it doesn't mean the majority are going to start shopping locally and often.

Freezers definitely make a different on the post-war society. We went to our excellent and local butcher at the weekend. They had some cracking deals on some good quality meat. For just over £50 when we divided it up, I reckon there is at least 14 meals worth there (family of 4) and some might do leftovers for the next day. On the other hand, we will probably not be back there for a couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back