Tesco

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, they have really improved some areas. Where I used to live, there was a local store which was always grotty, stock always bordering the sell by date, grumpy slow staff and the range of stock was rubbish. For bread they had a limited choice of dry sliced bread, wine was Hock or Lambrini and beer was Stella or Fosters. Worst of all, they used to sell to underage kids, or there used to always be a gang of them drunk hanging around outside. There were a couple of takeaways next to it, with the Indian always being a focus of vandalism. If I wanted to buy anything, I often used to drive straight past to the big Tesco. A couple of times for takeaway, things were kicking off with the drunk kids and I would head elsewhere.

Then Tesco moved in. Supported by their bigger local store then started stocking a massive range of wine, cheese and beer. They installed a small bakery giving good fresh bread. They also implemented a strict alcohol policy which stopped it getting into the hands of the kids. Within weeks, the kids moved on, Tesco worked with the local council to clean up the area, turnover went up massively at the takeaways. The pub put tables outside again and a couple of new outlets moved into the area. One year later you could hardly recognize the place

This is partly why their business model works so well. I am not arguing over whether they are catering to a need. However, they are doing it in an uncompetitive way and with an iron fist pinned on their suppliers. Tesco pioneered centralised distribution, with massive unified deliveries pooling together various types of goods and suppliers. In turn it made it very difficult for small independent stores that previously had multiple deliveries to maintain their supply lines. As a result many of the former independents end up becoming part of a larger franchise, such as 'One Stop' shops, which are owned by... Tesco.

For many suppliers it was not longer worth their while to supply the little guys, and they put a critical part of turnover in Tesco's basket. Subsequently Tesco turned the screw. You can not underestimate the market dominance that Tesco had between 1994 and 2009. They were in the box seat on everything, and everybody else was just chasing their tales. In one move they destroyed what was left of the traditional British cornershop by taking away its supply lines, and leaving them reliant on cash and carry brands, stuck in the old ways and with no direct contact with suppliers, and then offered one of the only routes out of the problem with their own franchise brand. It is total domination of the market on all fronts and it in uncompetitive.

Tesco have used the concept of social regeneration to justify many of their domineering oversized developments. They have paid for regeneration as I have mentioned. They are opportunists, but they have also been known to cause the problems, or liaise with local councilors in order to foster the kind of environment where anything, let alone a Tesco would be an improvement. Their business works on the basis that people get what they want conveniently and then get out of there. If everybody was aware of a tenth of the things Tesco have got up to, and if people valued that above the convenience of shopping there, they would be doomed.

One last thing - Tesco Extras were originally built on quite a standard plan. The men's staff toilets were usually just above the in store bakery. One of the main service access point for the building usually required opening a panel in the men's staff toilets and standing on some sewer drainage pipes to get to the business end. Often this would result in the pipes being broken causing raw sewage to leak in to the ceiling and drip down into the bakery below. I have seen with my own eyes yellow water dripping into an operating bakery, with two cleaners permanently stationed just mopping it up, with it splashing around ovens which are being left opened, and with bread being removed etc.

I got lumbered with managing a Tesco instore bakery one morning. When I went to check everything was going smoothly, one of the bakers told me that there was a squirrel trapped in the oven system somewhere. They thought it was in the ventilation system, but they were not sure. I got them to switch everything off and sure enough, we could hear it rattling about somewhere in their. I looked around and there were little floury squirrel footprints everywhere, and some evidence that some of the other bread and cake stock on the shelves and been given a bit of a nibbling. Unbelievably, even though this was a straightforward vermin problem, and it was likely that the squirrel had got to the exposed food on the shelves, the store duty manager had told them to carry on producing and to put bread out for sale. That duty manager had already signed over to the next duty manager, so straight away I told the bakers to take anything produced in the oven off of the shelves, and I went looking for the current duty manager to get permission to pull everything that was not packaged off the shelves. It was not unusual to get a call from head office with a code number (I can't remember the number) and that meant you had to get the stock off of the shelves as soon possible, and as far as I was concerned this was no different. So I found the duty manager and she was not too happy that I was pulling stuff and she told them to put it all back. I have no doubt she would have preferred to have done the right thing, but if she had it would probably have been a permanent mark against her name, and she would likely have found it difficult to make any progress at the store or any other in the region. It is just a horrible despicable company.

(My recollection is that that squirrel was in the oven for a good few days).

How would suing you for libel certify the truth of your claim?

Because if you try and sue someone for trying to say something that is true, you need to be sure that it is at least your word against theirs, and that there is not upwards of another 100,000 people that would be ready to stick their neck out and confirm the things they are saying. Not only that, you would need to be ready for a lot more to come out when people start poking at the surface.

Last edited:

I do not think there is any risk of that happening whatsoever. The chance of Tesco litigating against me is nil. I think they would be delighted that I has only gone as far as I have gone. I had some interesting information about them a couple of weeks ago, that I think they would be more frightened of, but again I could never see them litigating because it could only certify the truth, and the truth to them in pretty much any department is going to massively harm them.
Love out like this me. Anyone fancy closing tesco down?

tesco always seems rather amateurish to me as a shopper, considering their wealth Im sure they could do a lot better in almost all departments.

I'd rather pay more in a supermarket than suffer the big queue and one checkout open that you get at Ald.

My shopping habits atm (for one) mean I avoid Aldi etc like the plague. Reet fuck on buying 3-4 things and spending 10 minutes queuing to save 20p or summat.

Property value has fallen. Even with that included £6.3bn is an unbelievable amount to lose like
Anyone would think they had a new management team on a new bonus structure that was linked to growth in performance and they wanted to get all the crap out plus some so that they could line their own pockets!

My shopping habits atm (for one) mean I avoid Aldi etc like the plague. Reet fuck on buying 3-4 things and spending 10 minutes queuing to save 20p or summat.

I hate the checkouts. I know staff are timed and have bonuses so it's not their fault, but I'd rather my groceries were handled with care, than rapidly chucked randomly back in the trolley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back