Tesco

Status
Not open for further replies.

I quite like the large Tesco at Dragonville as it seems to keep the scumbags out of Sainsbury's at the Arnison Centre. And as for Asda at the Galleries, I'm 6'2 and have never been quite as scared as the last time I went in there; old ladies weaponizing shopping trollies

Didn't react to changes in market demands quick enough. Too much tied up in big stores as shopping habits changed to smaller shops, more localised, more regularly. Didn't pay enough attention to the quality or price of their food offering.

Aldi and Lidl kicking their arse by not ripping people off...?
Market forces are part of it obviously but I'm more getting at how can a company THAT big with revenue SO high (~65bn) fuck their strategy up THAT badly they have to write down 7-8bn at a stroke. The underlying operating profit less than a billion is pathetic given their turnover and apparent market dominance.

Wheatsheaf Tesco Extra is an example - always empty.

Didn't react to changes in market demands quick enough. Too much tied up in big stores as shopping habits changed to smaller shops, more localised, more regularly. Didn't pay enough attention to the quality or price of their food offering.

Have they really though, or is it just some people have switched to Aldi/Lidl which tend to be smaller stores?

Market forces are part of it obviously but I'm more getting at how can a company THAT big with revenue SO high (~65bn) fuck their strategy up THAT badly they have to write down 7-8bn at a stroke. The underlying operating profit less than a billion is pathetic given their turnover and apparent market dominance.

Wheatsheaf Tesco Extra is an example - always empty.

They're making a trading profit still iirc. They're turn it around IMO.

circa £4.2 billion write down on their property/land.
No sorry, I see mechanically why it's been made, i.e. what they've written down/off, and the pension deficit, but more broadly, fuck me what a mess for one of Britain's biggest companies, and how little money they're making even on ongoing business (970m IIRC)

No sorry, I see mechanically why it's been made, i.e. what they've written down/off, and the pension deficit, but more broadly, fuck me what a mess for one of Britain's biggest companies

Aye, I think complacency set in big time. I reckon they'll lose a fortune on home deliveries too. It works out at about 30p a week for someone to pick/pack/deliver my shopping to my door. Surely they're losing loads there.

Have they really though, or is it just some people have switched to Aldi/Lidl which tend to be smaller stores?

They're making a trading profit still iirc. They're turn it around IMO.

From what I see mate working with the retailers, all of them are religiously pursuing the 400sqft 7-11 format stores. Nobody is in for large scale stores anymore.

And shite stock in comparison to b and q and a lot of trade centers now open to the public
That as well but they don't state that as a reason for closures.
Wickes started out as a builders merchant type place with a couple of branches down south. Now they are shit keeping their prices inline with bandq. No competition.

I used to work next to this independent stationers who had been around for donkey's years. They still had loads of shop fittings from way back in the 1930's. One day the owner was sat there when all these guys in suits turn up. They pull out pads and start writing down the details of all the local history books and postcards, and anything else that picked up a little trade that was local to the area. After a couple of minutes the owner said "Erm, excuse me, what are you up to?" and they told him as bold as brass that they were buyers from Tesco and they were taking notes on the local items he sold so that they could start selling them at the giant Tesco store 5 minutes walk around the corner. There could be no straight retail value in those products to them. They are essentially just trying to avoid any reason for people to go outside or their store, and trying to hurt the remaining local retailers when they inevitably massively discount the local focused stock at a loss and leave the local retailer with a load of stock that he can not sell.

They all do covert price collection in their competitors but perhaps not as brazen as that. Good part of being a successful business is knowing what your competitors are up to.

From what I see mate working with the retailers, all of them are religiously pursuing the 400sqft 7-11 format stores. Nobody is in for large scale stores anymore.

Bollocks. The Range is kicking arse and they're nothing but mahoosive versions of Woolworths.

I'd say that would be in addition to larger stores. There's no way there's been a huge shift to everyone wanting to go back to shopping locally in a 400sq ft store. I think they've realised they've got enough (or nearly enough) superstores so want to expand thus must expand in the smaller metro style stores.

Not surprised, massively gone downhill, 'fresh' produce literally has 1 day shelf life. Shit company.

I don't have many problems with freshness. If something fresh doesn't have at least 3/5 days on deliveries they'll refund.

I quite like the large Tesco at Dragonville as it seems to keep the scumbags out of Sainsbury's at the Arnison Centre. And as for Asda at the Galleries, I'm 6'2 and have never been quite as scared as the last time I went in there; old ladies weaponizing shopping trollies

I'm guessing you are barred from Tesco's for shoplifting and your Sainsburys ban will follow shortly.

I sincerely hope you aren't the vagabond I had to deal with in Team Valley Sainsburys recently - hmm?

You dirty firkin pretentious scratter - get a firkin job and stop robbing stores and society as a whole. ;) :p :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back