Sunderland AFC 6 v 1 WBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great run of results. I was there. Remember Mick Horswill hiding behind a Boro defender so the keeper didn't see him when rolling the ball out.

There is no chance on God's Earth of that result, given our one attacking option currently is to lump the ball forward vaguely in the direction of Defoe.
Horswill was long gone by 77- Midfield was kerr Arnott elliott Rowell during the run the OP refers to - Lee Holden up top Docherty Bolton Waldron and I think Ashurst usually at the back - flying pig in goal

Just had a look, we drew the previous 2 games 0-0.
Only conceded 2 goals in 8 games on that run.
One of those was 0-0 's was against stoke at home ....Shilton was outstanding on a freezing cold night , on a par with Bosnich against Villa as the best goalkeeping performance I have seen

Last edited:

Anyone remember this game?

76/77 season, we were absolutely hopeless, beat Middlesbrough at home, beat WBA next home game midweek (? - from memory) and that was it, we were on our way and nearly survived.

Was stood in the childrens enclosure of the RE for this game with my sister.

Cracking night.

The next saturday we hammered West Ham 6 v 0 with Mel Holden playing well from memory.

I was at both of these games, also in the RE and I think in or close to the children's spot....was 13 so a bit of a wus..... we were on fire.

Great run of results. I was there. Remember Mick Horswill hiding behind a Boro defender so the keeper didn't see him when rolling the ball out.

There is no chance on God's Earth of that result, given our one attacking option currently is to lump the ball forward vaguely in the direction of Defoe.

Wasnt that the first leg v City in the 5th round in 73?

Aye I was there for all four of them, seem to remember the great Mel Holden & Bob Lee among the goals
In that 4 game spell goalscorers were Mel Holden 5, Bob Lee 5, Gary Rowell 4, Kevin Arnott 1, Shaun Elliott 1 and Bobby Kerr 1.

Arnott was still 18 at the time while Elliot and Rowell were veterans at 20. They came from a very productive academy when we produced home-grown players at Washington and if you were good enough you were old enough.

Magic run of games in a dire season

In that 4 game spell goalscorers were Mel Holden 5, Bob Lee 5, Gary Rowell 4, Kevin Arnott 1, Shaun Elliott 1 and Bobby Kerr 1.

Arnott was still 18 at the time while Elliot and Rowell were veterans at 20. They came from a very productive academy when we produced home-grown players at Washington and if you were good enough you were old enough.
Super Mel!!!

The crowd that night was circa 30000 it was my first ever match. I was in the paddocks Roker wing. Remember it as if it was yesterday. We left at 5-0 as I was at school next day. For the record we scored after 30 seconds unbelievable stuff.

Aye was there . Great run and still remember the headline in the mirror newspaper 7th heaven . Wish I still had the same passion about football now .

All started with a 1 nil against Bristol City iirc after not scoring in 14 games !

Aye, a Mel Holden stooping header at the Roker End.

The worst thing about the controversy of that last match between the bastards and the bastards with the bastard chairman you referred to is that everyone forgets it was probably one of the best runs of form we ever had in the top flight for decades before and decades since, the SKP/Quinn seasons apart. What I wouldn't give to see another Shaun Elliot at centre half.

He was playing in midfield during that run. Clarke and Ashurst were the centre halves.

Had just joined the Merchant Navy, had 3 weeks in Liverpool, went home the week of the Boro game! My first ever night at sea , was the night of the West Bromwich game. Was carried out of the bar.......no doubt impressing the Captain and Chief Engineer who had only joined the ship the day before!
I think Johnny Giles said it was the only time in his career he couldn't wait to get off the pitch.

Anyone remember this game?

76/77 season, we were absolutely hopeless, beat Middlesbrough at home, beat WBA next home game midweek (? - from memory) and that was it, we were on our way and nearly survived.

Was stood in the childrens enclosure of the RE for this game with my sister.

Cracking night.

The next saturday we hammered West Ham 6 v 0 with Mel Holden playing well from memory.

That was when Jimmy Adamson threw caution to the wind and introduced Arnott, Rowell and Elliott from the reserves/youth team.
Time for DM to do similar?

Was it not a 4-0 win? I seem to remember singing 'Bye, Bye Bristol' to the Bay City Rollers tune :oops:
no 1 nil v bristol city the 4 nil was boro where we lost 1 of the best uncapped chs we ever had in jeff clarke never the same when he returned from injury

Yea,i was at those games. We were miles behind before that run started though. I seem to recall us having 6 or 9 points after 23 games. I also remember a later that season game,being controversial. Think we lost 1-0. they had Tueart and Watson then. I did'nt like those two after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back