Sunderland AFC 6 v 1 WBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. When did that end. I started going in 1985, can't recall it.
Not sure when it started.

My first home game was October 1971 but didnt start going properly until 74/75. The childrens enclosure was there until I moved round to the back of the Fulwell End circa 1978. Not sure what happened when half of the RE was demolished. got loads of pictures of RP. I'll have a rummage through and see what I can find.

Was it Kevin Arnot that played a cracking through ball to Bob Lee to score very early in that game?
Was sat in the main stand right behind it, bit of magic

Sweet Jesus, I can remember that as clear as day right now (I was in The Fullwell just below The Cage). Dazed and confused cockernies all over the shop...
aye chased on the pitch and refused to go back into the RE. Think they got put in the CS paddock. Police horse on the pitch and the match was covered by MOTD. IIRC they won 2 v 0, John Duncan got at least 1 and it was the lads from Fencehouses who started the bother.

http://www.thestatcat.co.uk/Season.aspx?SeasonID=98

Beat Bristol City at home on the friday night.

Ah, okay - cheers.

Happy days anyway :)

aye chased on the pitch and refused to go back into the RE. Think they got put in the CS paddock. Police horse on the pitch and the match was covered by MOTD. IIRC they won 2 v 0, John Duncan got at least 1 and it was the lads from Fencehouses who started the bother.

Blimey, ex Pools Manager :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was originally meant to be a saturday afternoon fixture in Dec/Jan but got snowed off. Probably a good thing as we were in a poor run around then. It was replayed in midweek later in the season, sandwiched between Boro 4-0 & West Ham 6-0.

Great run of results. I was there. Remember Mick Horswill hiding behind a Boro defender so the keeper didn't see him when rolling the ball out.

There is no chance on God's Earth of that result, given our one attacking option currently is to lump the ball forward vaguely in the direction of Defoe.

The Roker End had a children's enclosure?

I did not know this
It did indeed, often referred to as The Boys End, centre of Roker near the front iirc.

1-0 Bristol City followed by 4-0 Boro 6-1 WBA and 6-0 West Ham the following week. A Bob Lee hat-trick including an opener after just 25 seconds v WBA. Bryan Robson got their consolation.

Was a mad time having had ten games since we'd last scored!

Anyone remember this game?

76/77 season, we were absolutely hopeless, beat Middlesbrough at home, beat WBA next home game midweek (? - from memory) and that was it, we were on our way and nearly survived.

Was stood in the childrens enclosure of the RE for this game with my sister.

Cracking night.

The next saturday we hammered West Ham 6 v 0 with Mel Holden playing well from memory.
Where did your 1986/87 post go? - I answered it before going to work and it's disappeared?

It did indeed, often referred to as The Boys End, centre of Roker near the front iirc.

1-0 Bristol City followed by 4-0 Boro 6-1 WBA and 6-0 West Ham the following week. A Bob Lee hat-trick including an opener after just 25 seconds v WBA. Bryan Robson got their consolation.

You old bastards.

Nah, as @My Boy Harry says perhaps it was removed when the gargantuan that was the Roker End was chopped down. Wouldn't have made sense to keep it once it so vastly reduced you would think.

Often wish I had picked my dads memory a bit more before he left us prematurely. Terrace tales should be handed down by generation to generation after all.

Just had a look, we drew the previous 2 games 0-0.
Only conceded 2 goals in 8 games on that run.

You old bastards.

Nah, as @My Boy Harry says perhaps it was removed when the gargantuan that was the Roker End was chopped down. Wouldn't have made sense to keep it once it so vastly reduced you would think.

Often wish I had picked my dads memory a bit more before he left us prematurely. Terrace tales should be handed down by generation to generation after all.
There must be some old "Tales from the terraces" type books knocking around. If not in book form, magazine, fanzine, internet and all that stuff. They all need collecting and collation. Somebody like MBH can do it.

Just had a look, we drew the previous 2 games 0-0.
Only conceded 2 goals in 8 games on that run.
Don't forget the 2-2 draw at Kilmarnock in a friendly on the Saturday after WBA and the week before West Ham. Which seems bizarre looking back.

Last edited:
There must be some old "Tales from the terraces" type books knocking around. If not in book form, magazine, fanzine, internet and all that stuff. They all need collecting and collation. Somebody like MBH can do it.
Indeed.

I've said before on here - if you could catalogue this forum what a collection of history you would have. Of the last decade in minutiae but also the tales told by a generation of Sunderland fans.

Yes, behind the goal had a fence around it for bairns to go in out of the way. Stretched maybe a quarter of the way along the front? Invaded by Spurs fans when they got chased onto the pitch circa 1978 and on MOTD.

When did the wheelchair enclosure bit in the Roker end main stand wing come in ?

Don't forget the 2-2 draw at Kilmarnock in a friendly on the Saturday after WBA and the week before West Ham. Which seems bizarre looking back.

Ha Ha we went up for that. Was only arranged on the Thursday, so just 2 days notice, but still a couple of hundred turned up. You could walk all the way around the ground and during the first half you could see loads of jocks coming around to our end. They came right alongside us and there was a bit of a stand off, then someone hoyed a hot pie into the face of their top lad. Happy days.

Anyone remember this game?

76/77 season, we were absolutely hopeless, beat Middlesbrough at home, beat WBA next home game midweek (? - from memory) and that was it, we were on our way and nearly survived.

Was stood in the childrens enclosure of the RE for this game with my sister.

Cracking night.

The next saturday we hammered West Ham 6 v 0 with Mel Holden playing well from memory.
Although I started going to games in '74 as a 9 year old, that run of games in 76/77 are my first real memories of going to Roker Park.

Thanks for the memories :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back