St Patrick's Day

We didn't have the capacity to annexe Ireland. However, you also said England did not exist until at least 500 years after Patrick lived - we know that's wrong because Bede wrote a History of England and it's people in the early part of the 8th century.

No he didn't. He wrote the Ecclesiastical History of the English People, no mention of an England as a nation or state because there was none until Athelstan. There was no England, just Bernicia/Deira (and then Northumbria), Mercia, Wessex etc.

Bede's 'English People' was concerned with the Anglo-Saxons, and large chunks of what we call England now weren't even held by the Angles or the Saxons in Patrick's time given it was a hundred years before this map where even a century later less than half of 'England' was held by the 'English'.

No one thinks there was an England in the 400s.

Logon or register to see this image

B

Love the meltdown on here every year for it :lol:

I’ve a training course on Monday so shall be going out and having a couple later at the Irish centre.

Grandparents are Irish, wife is and my kids have Irish passports.

Think I might get a pass from the grumpy bastards on here :lol:
Make sure you put your Guinness hat on as well.

No he didn't. He wrote the Ecclesiastical History of the English People, no mention of an England as a nation or state because there was none until Athelstan. There was no England, just Bernicia/Deira (and then Northumbria), Mercia, Wessex etc.

Bede's 'English People' was concerned with the Anglo-Saxons, and large chunks of what we call England now weren't even held by the Angles or the Saxons in Patrick's time given it was a hundred years before this map where even a century later less than half of 'England' was held by the 'English'.

No one thinks there was an England in the 400s.

Logon or register to see this image

B
Yes the word didn't exist because the name evolved from the saxon word Anglish- English- the people from Angleland England. Long before 927.
You get arrested for saying your English nowadays
Wouldn't surprise me at all when you've stuff like this happening more and more.

Last edited:
If that’s the case I’m quite surprised that you don’t get involved with it. Cheers 🍻
I celebrate being British, none of that fake green terrorist wankathon, and I hope every celtic follower has a dodgy Guinness and spends tomora wrapped rund the pot

It's just an opportunity for English pubs to make some dosh, nothing more nothing less. An Englishman with a stupid Guinness hat on drinking Guinness pretending to be Irish for the day 🤮

Was thro Newcastle to see Yard Act (who were class). Pre gig at the 5 Swans which had the highest concentration of young fit students I have ever witnessed. If I didn't look so young and fresh I'd have felt a right dirty old perv amongst it all. An absolutely cracker of a night but post gig clubbing now feels a poor choice whilst sat here at work festering in my own pit of regret. 9/10. Will do again.

Back