St Patrick's Day

England didn't even exist until about four or five hundred years after Patrick was alive. šŸ˜‚th century Patrick lived
Wrong- Patrick lived, they believe, no exact date, but estimate 5th century. Our very own St Bede- peace be upon himšŸ˜Ž wrote the ecclesiastical history of the English people in 741. So there must have been an English nation before he wrote it- and by your reckoning England wasn't around till the10th century. Even by the wacky left's penchant for rewriting history that's a bit absurd.

Last edited:

Wrong- Patrick lived, they believe, no exact date, but estimate 5th century. Our very own St Bede- peace be upon himšŸ˜Ž wrote the ecclesiastical history of the English people in 741. So there must have been an English nation before he wrote it- and by your reckoning England wasn't around till the10th century. Even by the wacky left's penchant for rewriting history that's a bit absurd.

If there was an English nation which could annex Ireland in the fifth century, can you point me to who the ruler of 'England' was please?

Itā€™s a bit of a shit day tbh. A mix of zany bellends wearing those silly Guinness hat, and of course folk with strong English accents pretending to be Irish.

Pre Covid a family member came across and by chance it fell on paddyā€™s day. He got that sick of middle aged idiots coming over to him to claim they were Irish, he just wanted to leave šŸ˜‚. The whole ā€œmy grandparents were Irishā€ stuff
Hilarious watching yanks, the likes of Biden etc making a massive deal of the Irish descent, when in actual fact they're more British.

Hilarious watching yanks, the likes of Biden etc making a massive deal of the Irish descent, when in actual fact they're more British.

I've been in Boston a couple of times with work on St Patrick's Day and it's bonkers. Everyone dressing up in green, claiming they are Irish and bars charging extra for a pint of Guinness with green food colouring in it.

I've been in Boston a couple of times with work on St Patrick's Day and it's bonkers. Everyone dressing up in green, claiming they are Irish and bars charging extra for a pint of Guinness with green food colouring in it.
Boston probably have got quite a high contingent of Irish. They funded a lot of the bombs that murdered innocent women and children in England.

itā€™s a disgrace that this is allowed given weā€™re not allowed to celebrate St Georgeā€™s day in case it offends Muslims

Reading some ridiculousness yday saying "Dublin has fallen to Muslims" due to immigration and this year will be the last time paddy's day is celebrated over there :lol: Came with the obligatory video of a street with a group of Asians knocking about.

Boston probably have got quite a high contingent of Irish. They funded a lot of the bombs that murdered innocent women and children in England.

Indeed - I can remember being in bars in Boston where there were collecting tins for the IRA. 9/11 and the Good Friday Agreement stopped most of that but you still meet people with a rather one sided view of the Troubles.

I once got talking to an Irish lad who claimed he was in hiding in the US after killing a British soldier in Belfast. Yeah mate, if you are really in hiding the you really shouldn't be telling your story to everyone you meet.

Love the meltdown on here every year for it :lol:

Iā€™ve a training course on Monday so shall be going out and having a couple later at the Irish centre.

Grandparents are Irish, wife is and my kids have Irish passports.

Think I might get a pass from the grumpy bastards on here :lol:

Would the Irish celebrate St Georgeā€™s day? I suspect not and fair play to them as it means nowt to them.

St Patrickā€™s day means nowt to me and I donā€™t want to stand in a pub with a load of knackers wearing a green hat.

Itā€™s a no from me and Iā€™m out.
Means nowt to me but at least we have a connection with St. PATRICK who was English

St George was a Turk

If there was an English nation which could annex Ireland in the fifth century, can you point me to who the ruler of 'England' was please?
We didn't have the capacity to annexe Ireland. However, you also said England did not exist until at least 500 years after Patrick lived - we know that's wrong because Bede wrote a History of England and it's people in the early part of the 8th century.

We didn't have the capacity to annexe Ireland. However, you also said England did not exist until at least 500 years after Patrick lived - we know that's wrong because Bede wrote a History of England and it's people in the early part of the 8th century.

Heā€™s not wrong ā€˜Englandā€™ didnā€™t exist as a state until 927. So almost 500 years after St Patrickā€™s assumed year of death.

The notion of an English people existed. But a unified state didnā€™t until King Ɔthelstan unified it.

Heā€™s not wrong ā€˜Englandā€™ didnā€™t exist as a state until 927. So almost 500 years after St Patrickā€™s assumed year of death.

The notion of an English people existed. But a unified state didnā€™t until King Ɔthelstan unified it.
In the same way Italy didn't exist until 200 years ago-but like England and the English, Itay and the Italians had been around for many centuries prior to it's unification.

There were an English people as in the Anglo Saxons but no English nation.
England as a nation didnā€™t become established until 890 under King Athelstan the first English king who was the grandson of Alfred the Great.

Back