spot on piece by chris young from todays echo sums it all up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we suddenly hailing Villa as a role model. They won the league or something?

He's not hailing them as a role model. He's highlighting the similarity between our position now and theirs at the start of last season, and pointing out that their revolution is working well, now.

He's not hailing them as a role model. He's highlighting the similarity between our position now and theirs at the start of last season, and pointing out that their revolution is working well, now.
The jury is still out for me on them.

[/quote]

I don't think Villa will go down at all....THEY KEPT THEIR BEST PLAYERS.

We will probably be in the bottom 3 by Christmas imo. What happens after that depends on what Short does.

Palace will go down and Hull will go down.......3rd place?....i'd say we were favourites but who knows...a change of manager might give us yet another bounce or Di Canio might be a better manager than i think he is.

I don't think Villa will go down at all....THEY KEPT THEIR BEST PLAYERS.

We will probably be in the bottom 3 by Christmas imo. What happens after that depends on what Short does.

Palace will go down and Hull will go down.......3rd place?....i'd say we were favourites but who knows...a change of manager might give us yet another bounce or Di Canio might be a better manager than i think he is.[/quote]

Di Canio can't fail to be better than you think he is!

Weve been told that this is the way its going to be so either you like it or lump it. As for giving the Team time (cant see why anyone wouldnt?) our best couple of seasons (in recent memory) followed relegation under Reid the Board stuck with him. Managers have to be given time, its absolutely pointless getting rid of Managers all the time you just end up back starting all over again. DiCanio wants desperately to succeed, hes a new Manager (hel make mistakes) IMO he has to be given a chance and not just a dozen games or so. Its his team now lets see what he can do long term instead of doom and gloom after 3 games!

Looks like someone's given him an agenda and a word limit of about 2,000.

Writing off players before he's even seen them in a sunderland shirt is just ridiculous.

Do Villa really look all that great? Finished two points above us last year. It remains to be seen if that strategy will improve them again this year but they have invested and held onto best players over the summer.

Also they were getting loads of stick last year at times when they weren't doing well.

Do Villa really look all that great? Finished two points above us last year. It remains to be seen if that strategy will improve them again this year but they have invested and held onto best players over the summer.

Also they were getting loads of stick last year at times when they weren't doing well.

'Great' is probably a stretch, but they do look better than they have since MON left-- they had three difficult seasons under Houllier, McLeish and Lambert, and seem to be playing better.

Time will tell. We're only three games into the (league) season.

I wasnt, I just said its ironic that MON was also a previous manager of the other club who have took on a drastic rebuild.

Surely you can see some comparison?

Agreed a defeat is a defeat, but to get narrowly beaten away at Chelsea reflects much better on how the team is doing than a two goal defeat at Palace does

Against Fulham we played well and probably deserved 3 points but a mistake by a new CB meant we lost.

Against Southampton we did not play well but grabbed a point (a poor defended goal again from a free kick IIRC)

Against Palace we let in a soft goal when neither the keeper nor the defenders attacked a corner cross. Then our most experienced defender and captain let his brain go walk about and gave a penalty and got sent off. I reckon in the 2nd half of that game we were on top and may well have scored a winner but for JoS's stupidity and Ji playing like a girl and not heading the ball.

Undoubtedly I would have preferred to keep Mig and Sess. Mig I hope Westwood steps up, his blemish against Palace not withstanding. Of course I liked Mig but he wanted to go. Sess, well for me I still do not see him as a striker..probably a winger we have others now.

I do see PDC getting to know who is in his starting 11 over the next several games, unfortunately we have some tough teams to play. I reckon after the squad overall with round pegs in round holes and the shape of the squad/team much better we could expect to pick up points, but against the forthcoming oppo's. What we have to do is support our manager as many in the media and just wetting themselves if it looks as if he will fail.

If it has all gone pear shaped by Christmas then by all means reassess..but atm folk should stop being stupid and be supporting fans, albeit with constructive criticism

Against Fulham we played well and probably deserved 3 points but a mistake by a new CB meant we lost.

Against Southampton we did not play well but grabbed a point (a poor defended goal again from a free kick IIRC)

Against Palace we let in a soft goal when neither the keeper nor the defenders attacked a corner cross. Then our most experienced defender and captain let his brain go walk about and gave a penalty and got sent off. I reckon in the 2nd half of that game we were on top and may well have scored a winner but for JoS's stupidity and Ji playing like a girl and not heading the ball.

Undoubtedly I would have preferred to keep Mig and Sess. Mig I hope Westwood steps up, his blemish against Palace not withstanding. Of course I liked Mig but he wanted to go. Sess, well for me I still do not see him as a striker..probably a winger we have others now.

I do see PDC getting to know who is in his starting 11 over the next several games, unfortunately we have some tough teams to play. I reckon after the squad overall with round pegs in round holes and the shape of the squad/team much better we could expect to pick up points, but against the forthcoming oppo's. What we have to do is support our manager as many in the media and just wetting themselves if it looks as if he will fail.

If it has all gone pear shaped by Christmas then by all means reassess..but atm folk should stop being stupid and be supporting fans, albeit with constructive criticism

I agree, not sure why you were quoting me though

Could be held up as a role model on how to keep your prize 20 goal striker when you could have trebled your outlay on him in 12 months....
So you think if we held onto Sessegnon his value could treble by the end of the season? Considering he'd been out of contract next summer his value would be nowt and three times nowt is nowt.

;)

Can you see a similarity between what happened there last season and whats happened here this summer though?

nope. there's not a manager in the world comparable to PDC. its no great surprise now that any sunderland player of value would jump ship at the 1st hint of interest from another club offering similar terms. nor is it any more surprising that no genuinely class player given an alternative would choose to sign for sunderland whilst the nutjob is in charge. we've never found it easy to attract top quality to the area anyway, but now we can add PDC as another reason why. we don't actually have a transfer policy 'plan' - its entirely dictated to us by his reputation & behaviour.

now if we could swap managers with Villa, that would even things up :p

If Benteke had been injured, at the same time Fletcher was last season they would almost certainly have been relegated.
They also lost a 2 legged semi final against Bradford City from League 2. Do we really want to model ourselves on them?

He is spot on about the negative fans :rolleyes:

Sunderland still et 40K+ crowds after years of enduring absolute rubbish - try to explain what's negative about that? We are right to be concerned about where we are headed, just as Villa fans were with Lambert. Lambert had a better track record than PDC and he doesn't castigate players in public every time they make a mistake. That may be the difference between the Villa and Sunderland stories and may result in our relegation. We have started terribly, got rid of 4 of our best players and have an eccentric manager who is in danger of alienating his players - yet the vast majority on here continue to back him - what's negative about that?

Comparing to villa is a bit stupid. They were down without benteke becoming the 3rd most prolific goal scorer behind Messi and ronaldo.

If Fletcher stays fit we.might do well, above our weight. It will be a smoke.screen for.what is still a weak team, as benteke is for.villa

If Benteke had been injured, at the same time Fletcher was last season they would almost certainly have been relegated.
They also lost a 2 legged semi final against Bradford City from League 2. Do we really want to model ourselves on them?

Wish we could get to a semi final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back