spot on piece by chris young from todays echo sums it all up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they do. Have you seen them this season? They beat Arsenal away with a brilliant performance. The other two performances have been much improved too and were unlucky in particular at Chelsea to leave empty handed. The performance deserved a draw. Only Liverpool have put in a superior performance to them so far, and even then it was a proper hard fought 1-0 to the scousers (with Villa having far more chances than them.)

So they are doing a Wigan then....playing well and often beating the top teams but ultimately ending up near the foot of the table. We beat Man City last season but dropped the whole 6 points against Villa. I'm not saying they haven't stabilised there but to say they are something to hold up as a role model is stretching it a bit.

Can't blame O'Neill for saddling us with older highly paid players......our two best players are his signings and only Cuellar remains on the wage bill.

Defeats are defeats....doesn't matter whether it's a top team or whether it's a close result....they have lost 2 of their 3 games.

I wasnt, I just said its ironic that MON was also a previous manager of the other club who have took on a drastic rebuild.

Surely you can see some comparison?

Agreed a defeat is a defeat, but to get narrowly beaten away at Chelsea reflects much better on how the team is doing than a two goal defeat at Palace does

Villa stayed up because they finished 5 points off the relegation zone.[DOUBLEPOST=1378382721][/DOUBLEPOST]

They look much better. Unless you're idea of being stronger is beating everyone, and if so you're genuinely living in cloud cuckoo land.

Very early days and i'll wait to see how the season unfolds before lauding them as a role model.

I see no-one is addressing my point about holding onto your best players though....:rolleyes:....doesn't suit your agenda does it?

I've nothing but admiration for Lambert, as I said the other day Di Canio is a loose cannon.

Some journalist is.
Its not the first time ive heard it, people going on like they've played 20 games and not two. Should we be hailing the Hull or Cardiff way while we are at it?

I wasnt, I just said its ironic that MON was also a previous manager of the other club who have took on a drastic rebuild.

Surely you can see some comparison?

Agreed a defeat is a defeat, but to get narrowly beaten away at Chelsea reflects much better on how the team is doing than a two goal defeat at Palace does

We were narrowly defeated away to Chelsea in Di Canio's first game and even led at half time....that game was followed by the fantastic wins at the wonga and home to Everton.........and in quick succession by 3 awful performances against Villa, Stoke and Southampton. I'll reserve judgement on Villa as it's far too early to say they've turned a corner or holding them up as a role model for us.

So they are doing a Wigan then....playing well and often beating the top teams but ultimately ending up near the foot of the table. We beat Man City last season but dropped the whole 6 points against Villa. I'm not saying they haven't stabilised there but to say they are something to hold up as a role model is stretching it a bit.

It was so close last season, we'll never be as fortunate, you look at the 6 points we lost playing Villa but had we only took 3 from Wigan we would've gone.

We were narrowly defeated away to Chelsea in Di Canio's first game and even led at half time....that game was followed by the fantastic wins at the wonga and home to Everton.........and in quick succession by 3 awful performances against Villa, Stoke and Southampton. I'll reserve judgement on Villa as it's far too early to say they've turned a corner or holding them up as a role model for us.

Fair enough

Can you see a similarity between what happened there last season and whats happened here this summer though?

It was so close last season, we'll never be as fortunate, you look at the 6 points we lost playing Villa but had we only took 3 from Wigan we would've gone.

The pivotal game for us was the Swansea win away to Wigan when Swansea had jack shit to play for.....if Wigan had won that (and they were leading 2-1) i think we would have gone.

Could be held up as a role model on how to keep your prize 20 goal striker when you could have trebled your outlay on him in 12 months....
Not under this regime, the first whiff of money and they are sold.

Durham was debating yesterday that us or the Mag dont bring through youth to help the British cause. More like a cause for the top 4 as soon as promise is shown they are gone the season later.

How can you draw that conclusion? The season is only 3 games old! Nobody is "doing a Wigan" yet. They look much stronger so far. I'm not sure why this is so hard for you to comprehend. They didn't panic and look better for it so far. They're hardly a role model, but there are definite parallels in what Lambert did last season to what we've done this season.

They would have been relegated if they got 6 points less. This is true. We would have been relegated if we took 4 points less. That's the weird thing about the league, if you have lower points than all but 2 of the league, you'll go down.

The article has it spot on. The Villa fans didn't cry, they didn't get relegated and they look much better for that stability.

They did mind. They were absolutely bricking it for 90% of the season and calling for Lerner's head. Our board have to be strong and have faith in the decisions they've made.

Alfred seems to think the relegation places are already decided. We're down. Villa are doing a Wigan. Who are the third relegated team Alfred?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back