Southgate

I bet he starts Henderson and maguire when they shouldn't be any near the starting line up.
I love Henderson, but he's not the answer.
He'll start them and push for a defensive nil nil!

Last edited:

What's Southgate won in nigh on eight years as the manager of England? You can have whatever win % you want but it's irrelevant if, with some of the best players in the world, you don't actually win a trophy. One third place in UEFA Nations League in 2018-19 and a UEFA runner-up place in 2020 is hardly anything to boast about!!

What's Southgate won in nigh on eight years as the manager of England? You can have whatever win % you want but it's irrelevant if, with some of the best players in the world, you don't actually win a trophy. One third place in UEFA Nations League in 2018-19 and a UEFA runner-up place in 2020 is hardly anything to boast about!!
One world cup in 94 years under dozens of different managers isn't much to boast about either.

One world cup in 94 years under dozens of different managers isn't much to boast about either.
It’s really only 74 years as we couldn’t enter until 1950 because we had left FIFA because of some arcane argument over how to define amateur players so you can’t really blame any of the managers for those first 20 years. Still a crap record though.

It’s really only 74 years as we couldn’t enter until 1950 because we had left FIFA because of some arcane argument over how to define amateur players so you can’t really blame any of the managers for those first 20 years. Still a crap record though.
All Southgate's fault including the arcane argument over how to define amateur players

My only concern is we don't seem any further forward as a side than when we lost to France in the W/C

Still look light up top, at left back and at centre back

Completely tactically inept coach who’s been propped up by a generation of very good footballers whilst also getting two of the most generous tournament draws we’ve ever had and he’s still failed. I don’t give a shit about the most successful manager since 66 nonsense you either win the full thing or you lose I don’t care if we get a medal for being losers or not.

Why is your comment in response to mine? What is the point you’re making? Is it to justify Southgate’s failure in management?
Yes of course. In terms of achievement at international level for England it puts him on a par with Sir Bobby Robson, Terry Venables, Sven, Capello etc - in fact ahead of all of them in terms on consistent performance in major championships.
Odd isn't it?
He's done better than any other manager (bar one) in England international football history yet he gets constantly slated by people who obviously know best.

Oh for the great days of not even qualifying for tournaments.
That's football fans for you. 2 years after our lowest point the Iceland debacle and he's getting hammered for losing a world cup semi final. Of course hes made mistakes but the lack of balance is staggering. Doesnt mean he shouldnt be criticised and people can have their views about him being too cautious but some opinions are just crackers.

Last edited:
Yes of course. In terms of achievement at international level for England it puts him on a par with Sir Bobby Robson, Terry Venables, Sven, Capello etc - in fact ahead of all of them in terms on consistent performance in major championships.
What you appear to be suggesting is his “achievement” is on a par except except not one of them achieved much at all did they? To say they all achieved is rather too great a leap in reinterpretation for me to accept.

Last edited:
Completely tactically inept coach who’s been propped up by a generation of very good footballers whilst also getting two of the most generous tournament draws we’ve ever had and he’s still failed. I don’t give a shit about the most successful manager since 66 nonsense you either win the full thing or you lose I don’t care if we get a medal for being losers or not.

I would agree to an extent but looking at the side we had in the mid 2000s it was far better than what Southgate has now and achieved far less

He is a safe pair of hands if uninspiring at times

What you appear to be suggesting is his “achievement” is on a par except except not one of them achieved much at all did they? To say they all achieved is rather too great a leap in reinterpretation for me to accept.
Its all relative - Scotland drawing 0-0 against England is seen as a magnificent achievement as is qualifying for a tournament where its harder not to qualify. England set the bar a little higher.

Back