Southgate

I'm the same mate. No shame in losing to that Italy team even if we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. I do think he got it wrong against Croatia, but no shame in losing to that France team either. He does need to show he's learning and get us turning up against the very best but I really don't get this 'he's shite' stuff. Only one team can win these tournaments and he's just got to get us one better than his current best achievement - other top world teams also think they should win it and England have no divine right. Semi, finalists and QF's in last 3 tournaments is not a record of a shite manager.
“That” Italian team , was full of kids. So was Brazil last night. You are ignoring the fact that he is coaching one of the best ever groups of WEngland players. Constantly stifles the life out of our playmakers and concentrates on defensive numbers.

I think this narrative that we have this incredible quality and should be winning tournaments is wrong. We have a good keeper and Stones, Rice, Bellingham and Kane though the centre which is very strong. Then I think it’s all a bit messy- no second centre half better than adequate, no left back better than adequate, a hugely talented player in Foden whos position is really where Bellingham plays. Saka is good on the right and the left sider is flawed Rashford is a hot and cold footballer, Grealish slows it up to much, Gordon probably a little short on the quality of those two. The last golden generation had far less flaws in its eleven and performed far worse.

Clubs foreign players are tricking people into thinking our players are better than they really are. People going on as if our current crop should piss international tournaments LOL.

I think this narrative that we have this incredible quality and should be winning tournaments is wrong. We have a good keeper and Stones, Rice, Bellingham and Kane though the centre which is very strong. Then I think it’s all a bit messy- no second centre half better than adequate, no left back better than adequate, a hugely talented player in Foden whos position is really where Bellingham plays. Saka is good on the right and the left sider is flawed Rashford is a hot and cold footballer, Grealish slows it up to much, Gordon probably a little short on the quality of those two. The last golden generation had far less flaws in its eleven and performed far worse.
Absolutely this.

Brazil beat us without breaking sweat. We never seriously looked like scoring as much as we huffed and puffed. They took their chance and should have had another goal before that when Maguire made his usual mistake. International teams usually punish such mistakes and we got away with that one.

Those slating Southgate have it the wrong way around. I think he is a decent international manager and the players are over-rated. That's why we haven't won anything, but I hope that chances in the summer.

It will be nice to watch a tournament this time after the last one was ruined by corruption.

You are missing out tons of talent. Saka and Foden are up there with the best in the world currently.

I bash Southgate at every opportunity, he’s not good enough to manage this talent. Every player in that line up is a threat.
We do however have an issue with the defence. Stones, Walker and Shaw are great players but there’s nothing close to world class after that. Pickford isn’t that great either, he’s good and probably the best we have currently.

That’s why Southgate isn’t the man for the job. We have some of the best talent in the world right now going forward. So we need a manager that is confident attacking. Having a defensive manager when our weakest part is the defence, doesn’t work.

This will go down like a lead ballon but we need a Kevin Keegan type manager, score 5 let in 2 type of manager (not exactly that but you know what I mean)
Absolutely this.

Brazil beat us without breaking sweat. We never seriously looked like scoring as much as we huffed and puffed. They took their chance and should have had another goal before that when Maguire made his usual mistake. International teams usually punish such mistakes and we got away with that one.

Those slating Southgate have it the wrong way around. I think he is a decent international manager and the players are over-rated. That's why we haven't won anything, but I hope that chances in the summer.

It will be nice to watch a tournament this time after the last one was ruined by corruption.
I really think it’s the opposite. For the first time in a long time we have a line up of players that compete at the wry top. They’re all (mostly) not just regulars for the biggest clubs in the world but are key players for them clubs.
Most play in the CL, competing at the top of their leagues, and are key players in them squads. Forget that golden generation, this team is so much better than the 200-2012 team

Last edited:
You are missing out tons of talent. Saka and Foden are up there with the best in the world currently.

I bash Southgate at every opportunity, he’s not good enough to manage this talent. Every player in that line up is a threat.
We do however have an issue with the defence. Stones, Walker and Shaw are great players but there’s nothing close to world class after that. Pickford isn’t that great either, he’s good and probably the best we have currently.

That’s why Southgate isn’t the man for the job. We have some of the best talent in the world right now going forward. So we need a manager that is confident attacking. Having a defensive manager when our weakest part is the defence, doesn’t work.

This will go down like a lead ballon but we need a Kevin Keegan type manager, score 5 let in 2 type of manager (not exactly that but you know what I mean)

I really think it’s the opposite. For the first time in a long time we have a line up of players that compete at the wry top. They’re all (mostly) not just regulars for the biggest clubs in the world but are key players for them clubs.
Most play in the CL, competing at the top of their leagues, and are key players in them squads. Forget that golden generation, this team is so much better than the 200-2012 team
Again I disagree - I think its fair to look back at the Italy game where everything was in our favour - at home, everyone fit, early lead against a good team but one no better than us. Other criticisms in big games have been very harsh. Pointless going over them you have your views I have mine - no-one is going to change either opinion. However where we are now without Shaw, with no decent quality centre half and a group of very talented creative players who all favour the same position. Bellingham is undoubtedly outstanding and I agree Saka very good but then you cant really play Foden without shoehorning him or Maddison who I really like. What it means now is that we will be playing adequate at best players in 3 positions in our team. That was never the same in our non achieving golden generation teams of the past.

Again I disagree - I think its fair to look back at the Italy game where everything was in our favour - at home, everyone fit, early lead against a good team but one no better than us. Other criticisms in big games have been very harsh. Pointless going over them you have your views I have mine - no-one is going to change either opinion. However where we are now without Shaw, with no decent quality centre half and a group of very talented creative players who all favour the same position. Bellingham is undoubtedly outstanding and I agree Saka very good but then you cant really play Foden without shoehorning him or Maddison who I really like. What it means now is that we will be playing adequate at best players in 3 positions in our team. That was never the same in our non achieving golden generation teams of the past.
I could use the argument that is scoring early put Southgate on extra defence.

The team was a lot younger. Players like Saka and even Rashford were overwhelmed and you could see that

And who would you hire instead..
Good question. Graham Potter seems an obvious candidate. Although a fun option would be Bielsa. As we are going for a trophy I don't see why Mourinho hasn't been approached (okay it's kind of contradictory to my first comment as he also has a safety first attitude but the man is a born winner).

Southgate has built up a really good environment and team spirit with the players which managers in the past have failed to do but he is desperately short in tactical awareness. With every passing game it is being more and more exposed.

Back