SMB weight loss thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
A combination of everything mate. I started with a "purge" in the first 2 weeks by dropping my calorie intake from Monday to Friday to around 1,000 or so calories (easier to do during the week while you're occupied with work). Mainly fruit, protein shakes and a bit of porridge. It's not a healthy diet, but it always works for me when I feel like a bloated slob (i.e. after every christmas). I was going to the gym maybe 4 times a week. That got rid of 2-3 Kg afterwhich I upped my calorie intake to aim for around 1,600-1,700 on most days (with one blowout per week, usually during the weekend). I let myfitnessapp calculate what my daily aim should be. From late January I upped my workouts to 6-7 days a week.
The biggest thing has probably been putting an end to "pointless calories", e.g. eating large chunks of cheese for no reason other than the fact I happen to be stood next to the fridge. Or drinking whisky/beer at home while I'm sat in front of the TV by myself. The app helped with this. So did buying one of those little kitchen scales since I realised I had no idea what 100 grams of anything looked like.

Thanks for that, good point re: the scales as I was having hods of oven chips and now I only have 100-150g much to the amusement of the fatty in the house.

After Christmas I dropped to 1600 cals per day and then after losing nearly 2 lbs per week I raised it to 1700 in February and then 1800 after my weigh-in yesterday.

I'm a bit miffed that I still have a bit of a belly but if I continued on 1600-1700 cals then I'd be weighing about 10 stones at 5' 8" which is a big lightweight. Loads of people have commented that I look thinner but mainly in the face which isn't much use!

Thanks for that, good point re: the scales as I was having hods of oven chips and now I only have 100-150g much to the amusement of the fatty in the house.

After Christmas I dropped to 1600 cals per day and then after losing nearly 2 lbs per week I raised it to 1700 in February and then 1800 after my weigh-in yesterday.

I'm a bit miffed that I still have a bit of a belly but if I continued on 1600-1700 cals then I'd be weighing about 10 stones at 5' 8" which is a big lightweight. Loads of people have commented that I look thinner but mainly in the face which isn't much use!

I believe that for men, this is always the last place the fat hangs on to. Plus the lower you get, the harder it is to get rid of each little bit.

I've just had a right cheat day. Been eating 1500 calories a day and hitting the gym for 3 weeks and I'm sick as fuck. Hit the cupboard's and feel guilty as out, I shall punish myself tomorrow now.
a
On the plus side I've just got me arse into a pair of size 28's down from a tight 32 at Xmas :cool:

Thanks for that, good point re: the scales as I was having hods of oven chips and now I only have 100-150g much to the amusement of the fatty in the house
Check the sort of oven chips too as there are big differences between brands and styles.

The rustic McCain chips seem to have the least fat and cals. About 160cals ish for 125g. The home fries have loads more than that as they're coated in batter.

I used knee surgery and various lads holidays as a bit of an excuse for letting myself go last year, but I was pretty fucked off at how unathletic I'd become, plus after 2 knee surgeries I wanted to get in really good shape to hopefully avoid more surgery, so after Christmas I decided to catalogue my training progress with pictures for the first time (since my actual body weight barely shifts once i get rid of the first 2-3 kg) and measuring my waist/gut.

Just after Christmas:

Logon or register to see this image

The other morning:

Logon or register to see this image

Got rid of about 4 cm around the gut. I think recording the calories with myfitness app has been the best thing, although it does make me slightly obsessive now.

And while taking pictures of yourself is a bit odd and I've had to stick them all in a locked folder in my phone so I don't look like a weirdo, I'm hopeful that by keeping them I won't allow myself to get so out of shape again. I fall into habits rather easily, which is good when it's a good habit (going to the gym and eating well) but not so good when it's a bad habit (eating shit, skipping gym, drinking whisky or beer mid-week on the sofa).
Could have atleast tidied around a bit like mate.

Big change through, well done.

Yea, cheers. I'm hoping the picture thing will prove to be motivational in keeping things up in future. It was quite demotivating at the start (which is why my previous attempts at charting training progress had failed) because you look like shit to begin with, and you look even worse in the pictures than you do in the mirror. Plus the little improvements you start to notice early on don't seem to get picked up in the pictures so you start wondering if you're just imagining an improvement.

Eventually in about mid- February I finally had a picture where I thought "there we go! there's the improvement" and it has spurred me on even more so I'm glad I did it now.

So my advice to anyone starting would be to take a picture at the start, and then forget about it for a month or two. Just get on with your training and eating and only start taking more pictures later on, because you might get frustrated in the early stages. The waist measurements dropping helped keep me going when the pictures seemed to be indicating that nothing was happening.

Last edited:
Down to 187 on my scales, feel like it's came off a lot this week, was hoping to get my measurements done today but the basyardcwasnt at the gym. Will spoil it all this weekend no doubt.

So I failed miserably :oops:

I was put on immunosuppressant treatment in January and it just floored me. You know when you've had the flu and everything aches and you feel so tired all the time? It was like that and it was a real struggle getting through work and house stuff never mind exercising. I'm guilty of snacking on crap and sitting around and I've put half a stone on :oops:

I'm still on the treatment but the tummy symptoms are getting better and I'm feeling a bit better in myself so I think it is starting to work now. I'm back on the nearly eating and exercise now. I've signed up to run the Sunderland 10K in May and I'm going on holiday in July so I need a bikini body by then!

Has anyone who has lost weight ever experienced a rash on your belly where the fat has reduced?

It doesn't hurt or sting and is about 3 inches x 2 inches to one side of the belly button.

Looking at the web I found this:

https://www.paleohacks.com/fat-loss/detox-rash-accompanies-fat-loss-5242

It is very common for unusual reactions to occur when there is a change in diet. Two things are most likely occurring simultaneously:

1- there's a quick weight loss which, means the fat cells are releasing their contents within. Many don't realize that the body uses fat cells to store much of the junk we ingest. If there's quick weight loss then there is quick release of toxins; release is faster than the body can process out through the liver (i.e. crap and piss out) and therefore resorts to other methods of releasing toxins.

2- If there was an imbalance in your flora (like candida or other overgrowth that tend to live off sugary foods, i.e. the American diet) then a quick change in diet will cause much of the bacteria living within the gut to die off. We're talking millions of bacteria beginning to die off at once. This is all material that becomes poisonous when it's dying off and therefore, the body must get rid of it. Equally so, it will go through a rough period of trying to cleanse more than it can in one shot.

This whole experience has a medical term. It's called Herheimer's Reaction.

Has anyone who has lost weight ever experienced a rash on your belly where the fat has reduced?

It doesn't hurt or sting and is about 3 inches x 2 inches to one side of the belly button.

Looking at the web I found this:

https://www.paleohacks.com/fat-loss/detox-rash-accompanies-fat-loss-5242

This whole experience has a medical term. It's called Herheimer's Reaction.

I've heard about it mate, but didn't get it myself (went from 17st ish in March 14 to 12st in Dec 14)... My cousin got it a little bit on Atkins a few years ago, but I never do the ultra-low carb stuff. Seems to be connected (at least correlated) with that kind of diet.

Its the whole weekend that does me in. Had chinese, dicksons savaloy, greggs, 12 pints, cheesecake and a kebab over the weekend.

Mind I did train friday and sunday so hopfeully that will offset it a bit.
I know the feeling mate. Only 5 pints this weekend though so maybe not as much as normal.

I've heard about it mate, but didn't get it myself (went from 17st ish in March 14 to 12st in Dec 14)... My cousin got it a little bit on Atkins a few years ago, but I never do the ultra-low carb stuff. Seems to be connected (at least correlated) with that kind of diet.

OK ta, lost about 16 lbs but not targeted low-carb, more protein if anything and sometimes get a bit of dry skin on legs, knees, eyes.

Its the whole weekend that does me in. Had chinese, dicksons savaloy, greggs, 12 pints, cheesecake and a kebab over the weekend.

Mind I did train friday and sunday so hopfeully that will offset it a bit.

You should be fine if you did ironman triathlon training!

Three words... Cod Liver Oil.

I get the dry skin thing, well, used to... 1 high strength tablet every morning and it cleared up completely in about a week...

Thanks mate, I eat a few tins of tuna a week at work but will also try CLO. My dad drinks a sip each morning on an empty stomach neat out of a bottle (like what his dad did before him) but I'm too much of a ponce and will get some capsules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back