Shearer on about the Mags

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is nonsense such as this which continues the delusion that they think they should be challenging.

Get Freddie Fletcher back and then they will have their signings and failed attempts to get in the Champipns League, throw massive debt and gross mismanagement in too. Don't think they won many cups then either so that won't come into it.
Now you've confused me. I've been assured by multiple Mags that they are famous for their cup exploits.

I have a sneaky feeling you've made that second quote up. Doesn't sound like a sir Bobby robson kind of thing to say. Everyone knows he was gentleman, I agree the fans used to think that way. Since Ashley has too over things have changed. None of the mags I know think like that

Here's an article mentioning the potential for a backlash to it, doesnt actually quote it though:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/may/11/newsstory.sport9

Newcastle United's hierarchy closed ranks yesterday following Sunday's disappointing 1-1 draw with Wolves at St. James' Park and some comments from manager Bobby Robson made after the game.

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd privately ridiculed the idea that Robson could be sacked for his alleged gaffe and on another day of fevered speculation on Tyneside the real and most pressing concern emerged as the state of Alan Shearer's shoulder injury. Shearer damaged it against Wolves but there was growing confidence last night that Shearer will be fit to play at Southampton tomorrow night.

Robson's remarks concerned the quality of Leeds United supporters on Saturday after their side had been relegated from the Premiership. They had cheered Leeds, despite relegation, while Newcastle's fans had booed their team after a result that leaves a Champions League qualifier dependent on two away wins from Newcastle's games, at St. Mary's and Liverpool on Saturday.

Robson was speaking off the record after a television interview with ITV but the camera and microphone remained on and Robson's comments were broadcast around St. James' on the club's in-house feed.

Various groups of supporters still inside the stadium witnessed Robson's typically passionate outburst and their interpretation of what was said and its dissemination will determine whether Robson and Newcastle feel a backlash.

Here's a thread from a few days after he said it:

http://www.footballforums.net/archive/index.php/t-63702.html

I do not disagree that Robson was a gentleman, but those arseholes drove the poor bloke to the edge. As they do to every manager who doesn't finish in the top 4.

The Mags are never happyt

CL- They wanted to sign more players and push for the title
Mid-table- they wanted to spend more and push for Europe
Bothering about relegation- want to be mid-table

Etc etc. They won't be happy until they win a trophy, which is ironic because they CGAF about the cups. It's like it's staring them straight in the face but they can't see it

The Mags are never happyt

CL- They wanted to sign more players and push for the title
Mid-table- they wanted to spend more and push for Europe
Bothering about relegation- want to be mid-table

Etc etc. They won't be happy until they win a trophy, which is ironic because they CGAF about the cups. It's like it's staring them straight in the face but they can't see it
Same as us then.

I've said a thousand times, Newcastle are 7th in the income league.

Therefore putting the geography aside for a moment (as in players need to be paid more to come North) their average position should be 7th. Some better years and some worse years.

Include the geography and you are maybe talking 8 or 9th average.

From that I conclude that Champions league is possible but very rare and relegation is equally possible/likely.

We are 14th in income league with similar geography.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that Champions league and Europa league much more unlikely for us than Newcastle but relegation much more likely as its much closer to home in terms of our range/natural fluctuations.

There are obviously other factors, but ultimately money talks and bullshit walks and I'd suggest my analysis above is not far off when you look at the tables over last 15year.

I remember the Leeds comment. It was mentioned on here as soon as it happened.

It was on their internal TV channel thing in the corporate area.

I've said a thousand times, Newcastle are 7th in the income league.

Therefore putting the geography aside for a moment (as in players need to be paid more to come North) their average position should be 7th. Some better years and some worse years.

Include the geography and you are maybe talking 8 or 9th average.

From that I conclude that Champions league is possible but very rare and relegation is equally possible/likely.

We are 14th in income league with similar geography.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that Champions league and Europa league much more unlikely for us than Newcastle but relegation much more likely and its much closer to home in terms of our range/ntural fluctuations.

There are obviously other factors, but ultimately money talks and bullshit walks and I'd suggest my analysis above is not far off when you look at the tables over last 15year.
They've been relegated most recently though.

You seem confused that managers might want to talk up things rather than talk them down. It's like expecting a fishmonger to shout rotten fish when he's trying to shift the last of his stock.

Of course your case would hold water if you find actual quotes where someone of standing connected with Newcastle said "we expect to play in the champions league", "we expect to win the premiership" etc etc. I'd be amazed if you could find something. It's a myth constructed by the controversial media to suit an agenda. It's like the scousers are 'knowledgeable' myth. A load of f***ing bollocks that some people just won't let go.

You seem confused that managers might want to talk up things rather than talk them down. It's like expecting a fishmonger to shout rotten fish when he's trying to shift the last of his stock.

Of course your case would hold water if you find actual quotes where someone of standing connected with Newcastle said "we expect to play in the champions league", "we expect to win the premiership" etc etc. I'd be amazed if you could find something. It's a myth constructed by the controversial media to suit an agenda. It's like the scousers are 'knowledgeable' myth. A load of f***ing bollocks that some people just won't let go.

So now you're saying the manager of Newcastle isn't "someone of standing" at Newcastle United?

Does that go for Bobby Robson too? Or Shearer? Or Keegan? Or any of Newcastle's managers?

So now you're saying the manager of Newcastle isn't "someone of standing" at Newcastle United?

Does that go for Bobby Robson too? Or Shearer? Or Keegan? Or any of Newcastle's managers?
Get the quote where they said the expected to do something.

It is nonsense such as this which continues the delusion that they think they should be challenging.

Get Freddie Fletcher back and then they will have their signings and failed attempts to get in the Champipns League, throw massive debt and gross mismanagement in too. Don't think they won many cups then either so that won't come into it.

Freddie Fletcher is dead so that would be an achievement.

To be fair it only seems to be a few bitter and twisted malcontents on this forum that seem to think we demand Champions League football along with the Geordie Nation nonsense. (those Hall quotes are from the last Century now...get ower it man!)

I'd prefer just not existing solely for furthering the sales and advertising reach of a chavvy sports shop (no matter how well run and successful that chavvy sports shop is) or being lied to about pretending to have any ambition.

I have no idea how we're 10 points clear of relegation. Sissoko aside, our squad is f***ing awful. Carver is Richard Dinnis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back