Seaham car park charging being introduced.

You do what you like, mate. No-one is forcing you to go to Seaham.

You're deliberately not listening to my points and just repeating your own. I suppose that's quite ironic given the context! We don't have to agree, but please don't accuse me of arrogance and ignorance. I haven't been unpleasant to you or called you any names; please don't turn what was a civil discussion into a personal attack.

There is a climate crisis, that much is clear. As for charging to park at County Hall, I think that it would be a bit unfair on the hundreds of staff that work there. How many workplaces charge their own staff to park in the work car park?

I'm not getting into the HQ debacle again, other than to say that it's all well and good selling off the purpose-built HQ (£49m, not £60m, and would have saved a fortune over time in energy as it was significantly smaller than County Hall and far more efficient), but we appear to be nowhere near moving into any alternative plans that the Coalition have dreamt up. The Aykley Heads plot isn't ready, the Rivergreen Centre is still occupied by Atom and their plans to move are on indefinite hiatus. £5m in next year's budget for demolition of County Hall, long overdue but where are all the staff meant to go if we don't have a new building?

Now that I think of it, I vaguely remember your previous contributions on threads about DCC; I should have known better. I remember now. Council = bad.

Have a good evening.
I did listen to what you said, I just totally disagreed as have others on here. Why would it be unfair to charge for car parking at County Hall when it's the councillors preaching about "climate crisis", why should Seaham and Crimdon pay but not County Hall?? Does the "climate crisis" not apply to County Hall?? I pay for car parking at work. If these councillors are going to charge to public to park and use an excuse of "climate crisis" they should set an example and apply that reasoning to their very own car park but as we all know they're hypocrites who once again are robbing the public whilst they get things for nowt at our expense. Those councillors in that meeting were arrogant and ignorant and they've got no thought for the public.

You do what you like, mate. No-one is forcing you to go to Seaham.

You're deliberately not listening to my points and just repeating your own. I suppose that's quite ironic given the context! We don't have to agree, but please don't accuse me of arrogance and ignorance. I haven't been unpleasant to you or called you any names; please don't turn what was a civil discussion into a personal attack.

There is a climate crisis, that much is clear. As for charging to park at County Hall, I think that it would be a bit unfair on the hundreds of staff that work there. How many workplaces charge their own staff to park in the work car park?

I'm not getting into the HQ debacle again, other than to say that it's all well and good selling off the purpose-built HQ (£49m, not £60m, and would have saved a fortune over time in energy as it was significantly smaller than County Hall and far more efficient), but we appear to be nowhere near moving into any alternative plans that the Coalition have dreamt up. The Aykley Heads plot isn't ready, the Rivergreen Centre is still occupied by Atom and their plans to move are on indefinite hiatus. £5m in next year's budget for demolition of County Hall, long overdue but where are all the staff meant to go if we don't have a new building?

Now that I think of it, I vaguely remember your previous contributions on threads about DCC; I should have known better. I remember now. Council = bad.

Have a good evening.
NHS staff who work at the hospital iirc.

Fair point, and I think we can all agree that they shouldn't be paying.
Fair point, and I think we can all agree that they shouldn't be paying
I did listen to what you said, I just totally disagreed as have others on here. Why would it be unfair to charge for car parking at County Hall when it's the councillors preaching about "climate crisis", why should Seaham and Crimdon pay but not County Hall?? Does the "climate crisis" not apply to County Hall?? I pay for car parking at work. If these councillors are going to charge to public to park and use an excuse of "climate crisis" they should set an example and apply that reasoning to their very own car park but as we all know they're hypocrites who once again are robbing the public whilst they get things for nowt at our expense. Those councillors in that meeting were arrogant and ignorant and they've got no thought for the public.
You didn't just disagree, you said I was arrogant and ignorant.

I think it would be unfair to charge at County Hall because I don't agree with charging people to park at work. There are nearly 1000 staff at County Hall and they are there 3-5 days a week each, significantly more often than the councillors themselves (many of whom who work full-time in another job and only attend County Hall for meetings). I don't see an equivalence between charging council staff to attend their own workplace and charging the public (including council staff and councillors) to park in Seaham.

Don't you think there is a climate crisis? You keep putting it in quotation marks as though you don't believe in it.

Last edited:
Fair point, and I think we can all agree that they shouldn't be paying.

Fair point, and I think we can all agree that they shouldn't be paying

You didn't just disagree, you said I was arrogant and ignorant.

I think it would be unfair to charge at County Hall because I don't agree with charging people to park at work. There are nearly 1000 staff at County Hall and they are there 3-5 days a week each, significantly more often than the councillors themselves (many of whom who work full-time in another job and only attend County Hall for meetings). I don't see an equivalence between charging council staff to attend their own workplace and charging the public (including council staff and councillors) to park in Seaham.

Don't you think there is a climate crisis? You keep putting it in quotation marks as though you don't believe in it.
So it's unfair to charge car parking for those screaming "climate crisis" to partly justify charging the public car parking? How does that work? I also didn't call you "arrogant and ignorant ". I use "climate crisis" because it isn't really a "crisis" is it? It's a money grab on the public. If it was a "crisis" they would follow suit and charge at county hall to encourage park and ride and public transport usage but of course we all know what they won't introduce such charges. It has absolutely nothing to do with "climate crisis". It's absolutely rotten stinking hypocrisy. Is there no "climate crisis" in Durham? I think we all could do more for the climate but the hypocrisy from Durham County Council on this "climate crisis" (there words not mine) is rotten hypocrisy. "We'll keep our free car parking but you peasants will have to pay because of the "climate crisis".

Last edited:
@matt228
I notice there has been very little said as to the costs incurred by DCC to acquire and fit out Akley Heads, Rivergreen et al. I suspect that by the time everything is done it will comfortably exceed the costs of the purpose built head quarters that was sold. I may even consider putting a freedom of information request in, in a years time, to try to establish the actual position.

3000 objections 76 in favour but it still goes ahead. Why do they bother with these consultations when they have no intention of taking public opinion.
This bit quoted below is interesting from the point of view of being a bit daft. I'd have thought it would be good for local businesses to have full car parks. It means potential customers are about.

"It said coastal car parking areas within Seaham were often full which led to congestion, limited availability, and difficulties for both visitors and local businesses."
They want empty car parks so there is room for visitors? Err it's visitors who are filling the carparks up. These visitors they want spaces for must be a better class of visitor than the ones who are already filling the spaces up.
You have to laugh. Just a load of bullshit made up to warrant more fleecing of motorists.
Does make you laugh
Like when the Mrs( no )says “ what you fancy for tea? “ I give a reply then ..”well I’ve got us …….thought you might like that !”(I usually do !)
Still makes me laugh after all these years -why blooming ask if it’s already decided!!
To be fair there are plenty streets around there you could park, there is no permit parking in place that I am aware of? It’s still a piss take like.
I feel sorry for the B and B near the front ( 16 ) will be no parking for people staying there as people who won’t pay will park outside that premises.
If you travel for seaglass for few nights ect you would expect to park near your B and B
Will be much more difficult cult now.
Seaham is great lace to visit but might as those who did survey have just shot itself ( via the people who decide !) in the foot

Last edited:
So it's unfair to charge car parking for those screaming "climate crisis" to partly justify charging the public car parking? How does that work? I also didn't call you "arrogant and ignorant ". I use "climate crisis" because it isn't really a "crisis" is it? It's a money grab on the public. If it was a "crisis" they would follow suit and charge at county hall to encourage park and ride and public transport usage but of course we all know what they won't introduce such charges. It has absolutely nothing to do with "climate crisis". It's absolutely rotten stinking hypocrisy. Is there no "climate crisis" in Durham? I think we all could do more for the climate but the hypocrisy from Durham County Council on this "climate crisis" (there words not mine) is rotten hypocrisy. "We'll keep our free car parking but you peasants will have to pay because of the "climate crisis".
Ok mate, this is going to be my last message because you're clearly not interested in being civil or reasonable, and you seem to just want to have a go at the council and slag off councillors, regardless of whatever information or argument is presented to you.

For clarity, your exact words to me in this thread were: "For you to suggest they listened isn't true at all and that council meeting is sheer ignorance and arrogance." So yes, you did call me ignorant and arrogant.

The climate crisis is a real thing that is happening across the whole world, Durham included.

Who on earth is calling you/anyone a "peasant"? The full-time officers, maintenance staff and cleaners at County Hall who you seem to want to have to pay to park at work? Or is it just the rotten councillors that your seem to bear an irrational grudge against? You come across as really angry.

Feel free to have the last word. I will not reply.

Have a lovely rest of your evening.

Ok mate, this is going to be my last message because you're clearly not interested in being civil or reasonable, and you seem to just want to have a go at the council and slag off councillors, regardless of whatever information or argument is presented to you.

For clarity, your exact words to me in this thread were: "For you to suggest they listened isn't true at all and that council meeting is sheer ignorance and arrogance." So yes, you did call me ignorant and arrogant.

The climate crisis is a real thing that is happening across the whole world, Durham included.

Who on earth is calling you/anyone a "peasant"? The full-time officers, maintenance staff and cleaners at County Hall who you seem to want to have to pay to park at work? Or is it just the rotten councillors that your seem to bear an irrational grudge against? You come across as really angry.

Feel free to have the last word. I will not reply.

Have a lovely rest of your evening.
I'm am been reasonable. These councillors are preaching "climate crisis" as a reason to introduce car parking charges. Why don't these very same councillors introduce car parking charges at County Hall to tackle what they call a "climate crisis"?? That's a perfectly valid and reasonable question. So you've acknowledged the "climate crisis" is happening in Durham so why in that case should these councillors concerned about the climate get free car parking??? Why also charge blue badge holders at Seaham and Crimdon yet it's free in Durham?? The councillors should set the examples but they're just making themselves look like absolute hypocrites looking down at us and laughing. That county hall meeting was an absolute embarrassment stinking of ignorance, arrogance and hypocrisy. Obviously you'll have to defend the council as you're a councillor but people aren't buying into this bollocks from county hall. Pay up and set an example if you're expecting the public and disabled to pay. "Climate crisis" :lol: :lol: absolutely nobody is buying into that nonsense.

Does make you laugh
Like when the Mrs( no )says “ what you fancy for tea? “ I give a reply then ..”well I’ve got us …….thought you might like that !”(I usually do !)
Still makes me laugh after all these years -why blooming ask if it’s already decided!!

I feel sorry for the B and B near the front ( 16 ) will be no parking for people staying there as people who won’t pay will park outside that premises.
If you travel for seaglass for few nights ect you would expect to park near your B and B
Will be much more difficult cult now.
Seaham is great lace to visit but might as those who did survey have just shot itself ( via the people who decide !) in the foot
Your Mrs should be on a council committee. :lol:

I'm am been reasonable. These councillors are preaching "climate crisis" as a reason to introduce car parking charges. Why don't these very same councillors introduce car parking charges at County Hall to tackle what they call a "climate crisis"?? That's a perfectly valid and reasonable question. So you've acknowledged the "climate crisis" is happening in Durham so why in that case should these councillors concerned about the climate get free car parking??? Why also charge blue badge holders at Seaham and Crimdon yet it's free in Durham?? The councillors should set the examples but they're just making themselves look like absolute hypocrites looking down at us and laughing. That county hall meeting was an absolute embarrassment stinking of ignorance, arrogance and hypocrisy. Obviously you'll have to defend the council as you're a councillor but people aren't buying into this bollocks from county hall. Pay up and set an example if you're expecting the public and disabled to pay. "Climate crisis" :lol: :lol: absolutely nobody is buying into that nonsense.

Sure there's no free parking at that new county hall they building up near the police station. Peoples been told to use the park and ride or stump up a fiver a day to park outside it. More expensive than Seaham tbf 🤣

I noticed that the charges being applied to Seaham are 24 hours with only Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day as free, is that the same at Seaburn?

I think it's very unreasonable to charge in the late evening, fair enough in the day (even though I disagree with this entirely) but why at night when the car parks are empty?

Was comical watching the video where they were saying the car parks are in demand and people are driving about looking for a space, I can honestly say I have NEVER failed to get parked at Seaham, nor do I recall ever driving into a car park finding it has no spaces and trying another, their screenshots even showed they weren't full.

Glad to see Bikers are still free, might be them who keep Seaham a float once all the visitors disappear elsewhere.

Also the whole, it's only £3 for the full day, why would you want to spend a full day in Seaham if you've driven there, the front is mainly bars and restaurants, having a car would be a hinderance ;).

I noticed that the charges being applied to Seaham are 24 hours with only Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day as free, is that the same at Seaburn?

I think it's very unreasonable to charge in the late evening, fair enough in the day (even though I disagree with this entirely) but why at night when the car parks are empty?

Was comical watching the video where they were saying the car parks are in demand and people are driving about looking for a space, I can honestly say I have NEVER failed to get parked at Seaham, nor do I recall ever driving into a car park finding it has no spaces and trying another, their screenshots even showed they weren't full.

Glad to see Bikers are still free, might be them who keep Seaham a float once all the visitors disappear elsewhere.

Also the whole, it's only £3 for the full day, why would you want to spend a full day in Seaham if you've driven there, the front is mainly bars and restaurants, having a car would be a hinderance ;).
They're not. It's only till 6pm

Just watched it back at charges apply 8am-6pm.

The whole meeting was absolutely comical, their reasonings were absolutely laughable, desperate, ignorant and hypocritical. They tried desperately hard to try and convince Seaham front is busy and folk struggle to park, yet the 2 Seaham councillors rubbished it :lol: , I've never once had an issue parking on Seaham sea front.

Seaham Hall Beach Car Park 168 spaces.
Van Tempest 91 spaces
Terrace Green 72 spaces
Seaham Marina 137 spaces
Dock Top 141 spaces
Noses Point 75 spaces

684 spaces.... Imagine trying to convince the public that folk are having issues parking along Seaham sea front :lol::lol: - "demand outweighs provisions". "it will improve the visitor experience" :lol:. Fella claims one of his friends was at Seaham "at the weekend, i think it was Sunday and was looking for a space" :lol::lol: behave man, absolute bullshit in February along the coast which has 684 spaces available on the front.

They claim this will "increase the footfall in commercial areas such as Church Street from those choosing to park in the remaining FOC car parks".... they also claim "help visitors access Seaham and make trips more attractive , encouraging future visits" :lol::lol:

he mentions "climate emergency" so much and that the council is committed... yet won't charge at county hall.

It's all absolutely laughable

This photo was Church Street 5 days before Xmas 10.30am and they think they're going to have church street booming by charging to park along the sea front... haway man

Logon or register to see this image

Hang on, nobody mentioned fecking Crimdon!
I did.....

We just go to the Headland anyway, more will now.

Last edited:
Just watched it back at charges apply 8am-6pm.

The whole meeting was absolutely comical, their reasonings were absolutely laughable, desperate, ignorant and hypocritical. They tried desperately hard to try and convince Seaham front is busy and folk struggle to park, yet the 2 Seaham councillors rubbished it :lol: , I've never once had an issue parking on Seaham sea front.

Seaham Hall Beach Car Park 168 spaces.
Van Tempest 91 spaces
Terrace Green 72 spaces
Seaham Marina 137 spaces
Dock Top 141 spaces
Noses Point 75 spaces

684 spaces.... Imagine trying to convince the public that folk are having issues parking along Seaham sea front :lol::lol: - "demand outweighs provisions". "it will improve the visitor experience" :lol:. Fella claims one of his friends was at Seaham "at the weekend, i think it was Sunday and was looking for a space" :lol::lol: behave man, absolute bullshit in February along the coast which has 684 spaces available on the front.

They claim this will "increase the footfall in commercial areas such as Church Street from those choosing to park in the remaining FOC car parks".... they also claim "help visitors access Seaham and make trips more attractive , encouraging future visits" :lol::lol:

he mentions "climate emergency" so much and that the council is committed... yet won't charge at county hall.

It's all absolutely laughable

This photo was Church Street 5 days before Xmas 10.30am and they think they're going to have church street booming by charging to park along the sea front... haway man

Logon or register to see this image

I did.....

We just go to the Headland anyway, more will now.
Yeh didnt know till then. Can walk Crimdon from mine like so fuck em! 😉

Yeh didnt know till then. Can walk Crimdon from mine like so fuck em! 😉

You can also walk to the best part of the beach from the Headland down near Steetley Pier as well and avoiding the massive bank at Crimdon and the wooden bridge my Dad built when he worked for the council :lol: :lol:
If they are charging for the dock top I hope they are going to look at resurfacing it. It's like riding an rollercoaster driving on it

Yeah the council have purchased it and plan to re-develop it... meanwhile you can park over the road at Asda for free :lol:

Last edited:

Back