Seaham car park charging being introduced.

I was going to go to Seaham on Sunday afternoon but then remembered reading about the parking charges, went to Roker and parked in the Marina car park as it's free as the car is registered with the son's boat in the marina, had a meal in Grand Pa Dickies shed. Free parking does make a difference sometimes.

The place at the moment doesn't get the football to keep all the businesses in err business. Both Clean bean and port of call standing empty now and this before the parking charges are brought in
Even though those 2 units are empty now the car park spaces are still chocker every weekend. Bells brings a lot of trade now in comparison to the 2 businesses you mention. Many just use the beaches to walk their dogs without using the cafes.

Last edited:
The place at the moment doesn't get the football to keep all the businesses in err business. Both Clean bean and port of call standing empty now and this before the parking charges are brought in
Eh? Seaham is fkn chaos every weekend with traffic, especially now the skip rat sale id back on. Tho the parking charges are gonna cause chaos with tight 4rses avoiding the fees.

On a weekend marra it may be in the summer months. I get down walking during the week loads and it's dead

Probably doesn't help that Bells and Downey's are an absolute rip off neither mind.

£10+ for fish and chips, which both charge is just not value for money especially when Ambleside outside the town is much cheaper and nicer aswell imo.

Sad times, the lack of awareness by the council on this is astonishing. They'll lose more in business rates when people close down.
Probably doesn't help that Bells and Downey's are an absolute rip off neither mind.

£10+ for fish and chips, which both charge is just not value for money especially when Ambleside outside the town is much cheaper and nicer aswell imo.
Sadly the going rate these days in most coastal Areas.

Last edited:
The poor bloke who runs North Beach cafe quoted on one of the FB pages , his cafe is sited in the Seaham hall car park . They’ve asked for a couple of bays for takeaway customers and been knocked back and also have nowhere for any deliveries to park up . Apparently they were told delivery drivers could park on the road !
The irony of it all is that he’s spent thousands renovating the cafe and built up a good business and his own landlord is doing this to him - it’s owned by the council…

Sad times, the lack of awareness by the council on this is astonishing. They'll lose more in business rates when people close down.

Sadly the going rate these days in most coastal Areas.

I dunno like, Redcar and Hartlepool are both much cheaper like £8.90.

Even the Magpie was cheaper for a takeaway than both Bells and Downey's and that place has always been expensive last time I went.

Both are too comfortable with no competition imo, Bells in particular is a rip off but there's nowhere else in Durham as all the chippys are crap so they can get away with it.

The poor bloke who runs North Beach cafe quoted on one of the FB pages , his cafe is sited in the Seaham hall car park . They’ve asked for a couple of bays for takeaway customers and been knocked back and also have nowhere for any deliveries to park up . Apparently they were told delivery drivers could park on the road !
The irony of it all is that he’s spent thousands renovating the cafe and built up a good business and his own landlord is doing this to him - it’s owned by the council…

Same poor bloke that tries to stop the public using the toilets in there despite them being public facilities….

I dunno like, Redcar and Hartlepool are both much cheaper like £8.90.

Even the Magpie was cheaper for a takeaway than both Bells and Downey's and that place has always been expensive last time I went.

Both are too comfortable with no competition imo, Bells in particular is a rip off but there's nowhere else in Durham as all the chippys are crap so they can get away with it.
Really?
I prefer Seaham chippy up South railway st when i visit my owld yem. Barclays bank where Bells is could have been a good boozer. Seaham, where they close pubs and turn them into shops, and closed shops get turned into pubs. :D

Really?
I prefer Seaham chippy up South railway st when i visit my owld yem. Barclays bank where Bells is could have been a good boozer. Seaham, where they close pubs and turn them into shops, and closed shops get turned into pubs. :D

Ah sorry I meant like literal Durham the city rather than Co. Durham where most the Bell's are.

Buggar all over that way and even over Consett way, well what I've found anyway.

Never been to that one though, we usually go to Ambleside whenever popping down that way. Canny little chippy imo.

Back