Running thread 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just read 'Ultramarathon Man' by Dean Karnazes. Was almost tempted to go for a run. More of an inspirational insight into the enduring human spirit, and a lesson in persistence, overcoming obstacles, pain and strife than a 'how to guide.'

I'll probably do some trail-running to keep fit this winter when I can't get out on my bike.

Don't think I could do it on a track, boredom would kick in

after giving it for a mile boredom don't come into it mate, just holding on for the next to 2 miles and being able to breath is the only thing I think of, I will give it a go on the road next year see what I can do, when I was in the army age 21 I could do mile and a half in 7.55 I wish I could still run like that now its 9 mins our so but I am 15 years older

after giving it for a mile boredom don't come into it mate, just holding on for the next to 2 miles and being able to breath is the only thing I think of, I will give it a go on the road next year see what I can do, when I was in the army age 21 I could do mile and a half in 7.55 I wish I could still run like that now its 9 mins our so but I am 15 years older

A BFT, 1.5 miles run as a group in boots and lightwieghts and a 1.5 mile run back individual, I managed 8:10, wish I could shift like that now in trainers, and I'm 26 years older. lol

19.12 for cock crow 5km. My Garmin said 3.17 miles so would have broke 19 minutes.
Brilliant that DA

Reactions: D.A
Some going that. Try a park run?

Some going that. Try a park run?

next year mate when I start racing again as ive done nothing this year but train to get upto high mile runs, never be able to go at that pace again im 3stone heavier and had 10 years of smoking to knack me lungs so I could never imagine running that quick again, next year im going to get under 40mins for the 10k that will be my 1st aim, due a new baby boy early January so long runs might have to go on the back burner for 6 months

How do you fellas calculate your tempo run pace? I've read a few different things online and wondered what the consensus is on here.

7.5 miles last night in 47 mins, 6:20 pace. For all i was pushing on i felt ok in the second half and recovered quick after so the long miles are helping ... Just got no speed now!
should be another run tomorrow then marathon on Sunday.

How do you fellas calculate your tempo run pace? I've read a few different things online and wondered what the consensus is on here.
for me its about 30 seconds per mile slower than eyeballs out. Able to talk but not hold a full conversation.

7.5 miles last night in 47 mins, 6:20 pace. For all i was pushing on i felt ok in the second half and recovered quick after so the long miles are helping ... Just got no speed now!
should be another run tomorrow then marathon on Sunday.

for me its about 30 seconds per mile slower than eyeballs out. Able to talk but not hold a full conversation.
Would you say it would be advisable for me to calculate it as 30 seconds per mile slower than my 5k pace? It's the only distance I've done so far where I've really attempted to do it as quickly as possible. The 10k's I've done so far have all been done at a pretty conservative pace, just distance building really. I'm just looking for a figure to enter into my Garmin. It's the best way I find to keep a constant pace.

Would you say it would be advisable for me to calculate it as 30 seconds per mile slower than my 5k pace? It's the only distance I've done so far where I've really attempted to do it as quickly as possible. The 10k's I've done so far have all been done at a pretty conservative pace, just distance building really. I'm just looking for a figure to enter into my Garmin. It's the best way I find to keep a constant pace.
not sure about tempo runs of 5k. I tend not to do them below 7-8k. Maybe something like a 8k tempo run 45 seconds per mile slower than your full blooded 5k pace. See how you feel afterwards and adjust as you need.

not sure about tempo runs of 5k. I tend not to do them below 7-8k. Maybe something like a 8k tempo run 45 seconds per mile slower than your full blooded 5k pace. See how you feel afterwards and adjust as you need.
It's on a runners world magazine 'break 50.00' 10k plan that I'm following. Tomorrow is '2 miles easy, followed by 20 minutes tempo, then 1 mile easy'
So the 20 minutes tempo is only gonna be around 2 and a half miles really. The time of the tempo run increases the further I get into the plan. Think I'll just do my 5k pace plus 30 seconds/mile and take it from there. Once I've had a real go at a 10k time I'll use that figure for tempo runs probably.

Just read 'Ultramarathon Man' by Dean Karnazes. Was almost tempted to go for a run. More of an inspirational insight into the enduring human spirit, and a lesson in persistence, overcoming obstacles, pain and strife than a 'how to guide.'

I'll probably do some trail-running to keep fit this winter when I can't get out on my bike.

This book started me off in running in 2008 as loved this idea of this mad underground movements of crazy ultra marathon runners.......5 Ultras so far this year including 2 x 113 miles (although the second one was a DNF 27 miles short of the end of the C2C cycle route due to injury)......Karnazes may not be the greatest ultra runner but his writing is truly inspirational :cool:

This book started me off in running in 2008 as loved this idea of this mad underground movements of crazy ultra marathon runners.......5 Ultras so far this year including 2 x 113 miles (although the second one was a DNF 27 miles short of the end of the C2C cycle route due to injury)......Karnazes may not be the greatest ultra runner but his writing is truly inspirational :cool:
Wow. How do you train for that?

The book itself reminded me alot of Lance Armstrong's autobiography, in the triumph of the human spirit (or in the Lance's case: pharmaceutical science) over adversity and the human body. Probably had the same ghost-writer.

Just past the 100 mile barrier since I bought my Garmin seven weeks ago. I realise this might not sound like much to a lot of you on here but it's a pleasing milestone for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back