Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Found out that I apparently won my category on Sunday (left before the end). I guess doing that on a shit day isn't too bad.

Would be my choice. They're the UK IPF affiliate, but I don't know a great deal about the other fed. Pick the one with the best athletes would be my suggestion, more competition.
I just want to compete with clean athletes, they both claim to adhere to wada but gbpf only seem to test at international level, although looking at the results for their recent comps bdfpa is a weaker pool.

Suppose it depends on judges as well like

I just want to compete with clean athletes, they both claim to adhere to wada but gbpf only seem to test at international level, although looking at the results for their recent comps bdfpa is a weaker pool.

Suppose it depends on judges as well like

I know what you mean but it's never going to happen. The money that goes in to half-decent drug testing is pretty substantial, so you're just relying on the morals of the athletes. Some of them will still test positive, but it really isn't very hard for an athlete to pass them.

Some guys have the mentality of "Well, I'm only on 500mg of test, why should I compete against guys on grams of gear and peptides". It's a shame, but some twats on gear still compete tested so that they have a better chance of winning a medal or a trophy.

I know what you mean but it's never going to happen. The money that goes in to half-decent drug testing is pretty substantial, so you're just relying on the morals of the athletes. Some of them will still test positive, but it really isn't very hard for an athlete to pass them.

Some guys have the mentality of "Well, I'm only on 500mg of test, why should I compete against guys on grams of gear and peptides". It's a shame, but some twats on gear still compete tested so that they have a better chance of winning a medal or a trophy.
Thankfully I've already found a way to know who's using gear.

If they lift more than me, they're juicing :lol:

Start of week 3 on stronglifts and really enjoying it so far. Its nice to see yourself constantly improving every week. My ankle is starting to feel alot stronger aswell so thats a big bonus.

Today I managed 75kg squat, 40kg shoulder press and 110kg deadlift.

Start of week 3 on stronglifts and really enjoying it so far. Its nice to see yourself constantly improving every week. My ankle is starting to feel alot stronger aswell so thats a big bonus.

Today I managed 75kg squat, 40kg shoulder press and 110kg deadlift.

Out of interest, is your overhead press (shoulder press) increasing every session?

Out of interest, is your overhead press (shoulder press) increasing every session?

Yes mate but I think alot of that is down to only just starting out and trying to work out how strong I am if that makes sense? Some sessions I've been adding on 5kg+ because the weight felt too light.

I have done weights previous through training programmes organised by the Rugby clubs I was at, but they never used any compound movements so they are all new to me.

Not recovered properly from the meet but feeling better after a weekend off. Adjusting to this volume again as I'm now 'offseason'.

Today was 3 singles at 85% on bench (127.5kg). They didn't move as quickly as usual but not a concern, just a bit fatigued. Then did 105kg x 10 & 80kg x 16 before various accessory stuff. Will post up a video later of this session for anybody bothered and also from a set of my deadlifts from Friday (170kg x 14). Aiming for 180kg x 15 in the first week of the next cycle. I'll be very happy with that milestone, along with 250kg for a single before Christmas.

Not recovered properly from the meet but feeling better after a weekend off. Adjusting to this volume again as I'm now 'offseason'.

Today was 3 singles at 85% on bench (127.5kg). They didn't move as quickly as usual but not a concern, just a bit fatigued. Then did 105kg x 10 & 80kg x 16 before various accessory stuff. Will post up a video later of this session for anybody bothered and also from a set of my deadlifts from Friday (170kg x 14). Aiming for 180kg x 15 in the first week of the next cycle. I'll be very happy with that milestone, along with 250kg for a single before Christmas.
What routine are you doing?

Do you often go above 5 reps?

What routine are you doing?

Do you often go above 5 reps?

I've hired a coach because I want to hand everything over to somebody else so I can just execute their plan and focus the thinking towards my clients.

I've been in meet prep training for a good few months, so I haven't been going over 5 often at all, but I will be every session now I believe. I can't go in to too much detail of the programme but basically the intensity works on a 3 week wave and the reps change along with that on the main movements. It's a lot more volume than I've done for a long while (due to meet preps), but I'll adapt and be banging out decent numbers for high reps soon enough.

Hoping to hit some PRs this week myself (it's 1+ week on 5/3/1).

All things going well I could be looking at 170kg squat, 110kg bench and 215kg deadlift. Then a deload week and a reset of my 90% of 1RM numbers.

No idea what I realistically could be getting with OHP as a single as I've never done a set of less than 3 reps on it, I'm doing that tonight so we'll see how far the joker sets go...

I'd like to think I can add ca 12kg to my deadlift between now and the end of the year, which would see me to 500lbs.

A similar amount added onto squats would see that at 400lbs but I feel that's less realistic for some reason.

Yes mate but I think alot of that is down to only just starting out and trying to work out how strong I am if that makes sense? Some sessions I've been adding on 5kg+ because the weight felt too light.

I have done weights previous through training programmes organised by the Rugby clubs I was at, but they never used any compound movements so they are all new to me.

Yeah, there's going to be a period of finding your level and then pushing against it.

I did find my OHP would only go up every second session when I was doing 5x5. Like clockwork. I stopped caring about it because I knew it would go up again next session :lol:

To be honest, I wouldn't be against taking another 1/4 of a year on it myself in the mid-term but slowing the progression a touch and doing more assistance work. It's such a good, simple programme.

Last edited:
Seen some tremendous squatting the other day. A video of a guy that used to train at Genesis before moving to Oxford for uni squatted 260kg for 7 reps without wraps at 18 year old, walked out (no monolift). I think he's still going to be competing in the 90kg class. What is even more mental is he had more reps in him if his line didn't get messed up on the 7th rep.

Do any of you have any mental cues you go through when deadlifting?

It's hard because I train by myself so can't see for certain but am pretty sure I'm rounding my back before the top of the pull.

So do you go through 'foot position, back straight, chest up, eye position' etc type cues?

Edit: forget it, just fund this.

Last edited:
Do any of you have any mental cues you go through when deadlifting?

It's hard because I train by myself so can't see for certain but am pretty sure I'm rounding my back before the top of the pull.

So do you go through 'foot position, back straight, chest up, eye position' etc type cues?

Edit: forget it, just fund this.

One I get my foot position, I'll yank the bar a few times, roll it out then pause briefly before rolling it back in and simultaneously dropping my hips, but there are so many different set ups that the cues (outside of the generic ones) would depend on the lifter. My mate has just started a top-down set up where he pulls almost as soon as he's grabbed the bar, for example.

Back