Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Some of them are 5 reps like but I have always felt comfortable failing at a squat just resting on the rack as it's only an inch below my atg

That's a big downfall of mine. I pussy put a bit too easily so as not to look stupid.

Also, the lad at my gym who set that squat record just set a British record in deadlift at sub-junior level in his weight class, pulling 226kg.

Reckons he's now only going to do one PL meet a year and focus on natty bodybuilding.

Last edited:
That's a big downfall of mine. I pussy put a bit too easily so as not to look stupid.

Also, the lad at my gym who set that squat record just set a British record in deadlift at sub-junior level in his weight class, pulling 226kg.

Reckons he's now only going to do one PL meet a year and focus on natty bodybuilding.

:eek: What a waste of talent that is.

I'll bet my life he can't resist a dabble, the lad who runs my gym can dl 270kg iirc, he's a bodybuilder and juicing like but still excellent lift, squats less than me mind. :cool:

:eek: What a waste of talent that is.

I'll bet my life he can't resist a dabble, the lad who runs my gym can dl 270kg iirc, he's a bodybuilder and juicing like but still excellent lift, squats less than me mind. :cool:

I think he's been doing it years like. His Da is into it all. Just says he needs a break from powerlifting for a bit.

What are you squatting these days?

I think he's been doing it years like. His Da is into it all. Just says he needs a break from powerlifting for a bit.

What are you squatting these days?
205 last week but it was very comfortable, I've broken 5rm down to 2 in the last month, I've been using around 2600kg volume 4 times a week for 2 weeks then a week of half volume followed by a new pr. My totals atm are 605kg so lots of work to do but when you're making progress it's easy

205 last week but it was very comfortable, I've broken 5rm down to 2 in the last month, I've been using around 2600kg volume 4 times a week for 2 weeks then a week of half volume followed by a new pr. My totals atm are 605kg so lots of work to do but when you're making progress it's easy

Jesus, where did that come from?

Must have sorted your back out?

Reckons he's now only going to do one PL meet a year and focus on
natty bodybuilding.

Compete in less sport, to pose almost naked in front of guys? Oh lawd, what a shame.

Last 2 sessions this week have been changed to speed work due to illness/overreaching. I'll think work up to openers next week (225-130-220) and deload and rest.

Really struggling for motivation the last few weeks - feel like I should change something up but don't know what. Been doing 5x5 again for a few months but everything's stalled, including my brain!

Best lifts I've managed 5x5 (all 2/3 weeks ago now, and have since de-loaded again on all but DL):
Squat: 115kg
Bench: 70kg
OHP: 50kg
Row: 60kg
Deadlift: 125kg (with my getting better form)

Just seem to be forever failing and de-loading now and getting a bit sick of it. Any advice? (other than to stop being so soft and/or eat more!)

Really struggling for motivation the last few weeks - feel like I should change something up but don't know what. Been doing 5x5 again for a few months but everything's stalled, including my brain!

Best lifts I've managed 5x5 (all 2/3 weeks ago now, and have since de-loaded again on all but DL):
Squat: 115kg
Bench: 70kg
OHP: 50kg
Row: 60kg
Deadlift: 125kg (with my getting better form)

Just seem to be forever failing and de-loading now and getting a bit sick of it. Any advice? (other than to stop being so soft and/or eat more!)

Well, how much are you eating? And are you gaining weight?

If you're eating plenty, form is good and you're still stalling a lot even after de-loading then perhaps switch to the 3x5 version? That's what's recommended, right?

Reet everyone, form check please...

This is my last warm up set (was filming every set but someone walked in to use the platform I had my phone on before my working set).

4x140kg it was. Aiming for 5x but as you'll have seen the bar slips from my left hand on both attempts at that fifth rep. My palms sweat pretty profusely and I lay off the chalk until my working set :lol:

Chalked up for that working set and got 160kg for 5.

My big problem with my form, having never watched it before, is that I don't hold the lift long enough at the top. I'm also not sitting back enough so I'm in a weaker pulling position. Anything else? My back seems fine to my eyes and feels good when I lift.

:lol:

Looking back on this, I can really see how shite it was!

Cut this training week short with some speed deadlifts yesterday. Probably the quickest I've ever moved 180kg which despite the illness etc is a plus. Apparently it looked like ~65%. Next week I'll work up to openers on squat and bench and then deads will be light again

I need some chalk like and I reckon my dl will go up to 400kg no problem, where's best to use. Liquid or just proper chalk?
I've also started doing extended holds with the fat end of a barbell and weight on.

Use regular if up it gym allows it IMO.

Garbage training last week as mentioned. Took 3 days off to try and shake illness and despite not feeling great today, I hit my opener on squats for a comfortable double.

Back