Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Do any of you have any mental cues you go through when deadlifting?

It's hard because I train by myself so can't see for certain but am pretty sure I'm rounding my back before the top of the pull.

So do you go through 'foot position, back straight, chest up, eye position' etc type cues?

Edit: forget it, just fund this.

Set feet, grip bar, yank it, crouch, straighten legs (x3) and then pull.

Feels odd doing so much volume work again. I hit a top set of 100kg x 10 on close grip bench today. I think my best close grip at 100kg is 13 reps, but that was wider, as my regular bench at the time was significantly wider.

Still not feeling better entirely, but getting there. Starting to wake up without much bother on a morning again. Tomorrow is scheduled to be 2x3 @ 200kg on deads, but may go slightly lighter/heavier depending on the speed.

Feels odd doing so much volume work again. I hit a top set of 100kg x 10 on close grip bench today. I think my best close grip at 100kg is 13 reps, but that was wider, as my regular bench at the time was significantly wider.

Still not feeling better entirely, but getting there. Starting to wake up without much bother on a morning again. Tomorrow is scheduled to be 2x3 @ 200kg on deads, but may go slightly lighter/heavier depending on the speed.
I've nearly been sick squatting 90kg for 10 reps. I haven't done much if any higher rep stuff

I've nearly been sick squatting 90kg for 10 reps. I haven't done much if any higher rep stuff

It's brutal but I actually enjoy it tbh.

I've also noticed that higher reps & bumping my calories back up over 4,000 is giving me tremendous pumps :lol:

It's brutal but I actually enjoy it tbh.

I've also noticed that higher reps & bumping my calories back up over 4,000 is giving me tremendous pumps :lol:
It's another challenge like which I think always makes training a bit more interesting if nothing else.

The problem I've got is I should be able to do that easily but I'm gonna have to drop the weight down to less than 50% of. Max

It's another challenge like which I think always makes training a bit more interesting if nothing else.

The problem I've got is I should be able to do that easily but I'm gonna have to drop the weight down to less than 50% of. Max

I agree. It's something I need in my training; higher rep PRs to break, volume PRs to break etc.

Yeah I'd just see how you feel. Even though my programme has percentages as a guideline, strength can fluctuate so much even within the space of a day so I just adjust depending on feel.

I agree. It's something I need in my training; higher rep PRs to break, volume PRs to break etc.

Yeah I'd just see how you feel. Even though my programme has percentages as a guideline, strength can fluctuate so much even within the space of a day so I just adjust depending on feel.

Right! Going for near bench maxes the day after hitting what's pretty much my max deadlift has broke me. If I tried to train today I don't think I could do anything!

I couldn't get out of bed this morning and I must have been on auto-pilot driving to work because I don't remember the journey at all.

Right! Going for near bench maxes the day after hitting what's pretty much my max deadlift has broke me. If I tried to train today I don't think I could do anything!

I couldn't get out of bed this morning and I must have been on auto-pilot driving to work because I don't remember the journey at all.

Deads are always my last session of the week for this reason :lol:

Today's session was:

Deads - 200kg x 3 (2)
Reverae band deads - 225kg x 2 (wasn't in the programme but some fella was in filming stuff and wanted some footage. My training partner worked up to 300kg but since it wasn't in my programme I left it at 225kg)
Squats - 3x5 (top set was an easy 150kg)
Weighted chins - 3xfailure

And various other bits including some light goblet squats to a box.

Need to go back at 7 and help set up for the strongman competition tomorrow

Had a couple of good sessions this week and can feel myself progressing slowly but surely. Ankle still feels not quite right but it's getting there.

On a side note currently in a hotel in Edinburgh as I'm watching the rugby at murrayfield tomorrow. All the New Zealand team are staying in the hotel, those guys are all massive!!

Had a couple of good sessions this week and can feel myself progressing slowly but surely. Ankle still feels not quite right but it's getting there.

On a side note currently in a hotel in Edinburgh as I'm watching the rugby at murrayfield tomorrow. All the New Zealand team are staying in the hotel, those guys are all massive!!

They're big lads like, these professional Rugby players. That they can maintain that level of cardio intensity at that size for 80 minutes is astonishing as well.

Have you seen Sonny Bill Williams around? That lad has an incredible physique.

They're big lads like, these professional Rugby players. That they can maintain that level of cardio intensity at that size for 80 minutes is astonishing as well.

Seen a few big fuckers around Twickenham wearing Rugby tracksuits with initials and what not on them. Wouldn't fancy getting hit by a bloke with that much size, at the speed they can often sprint.

Seen a few big fuckers around Twickenham wearing Rugby tracksuits with initials and what not on them. Wouldn't fancy getting hit by a bloke with that much size, at the speed they can often sprint.

Aye, the game is different to ten years ago. You'll be hard pushed to find an international level winger below 105kg nowadays.

I remember Wales putting out a back line a couple of years ago where their smallest player was still about 16.5 stone :lol:

What sort of weights were you lads hitting when you we're dabbling in 5x5's , just curious as I'm about to start failing reps, currently at 150 deadlift, 135 squat, bench 85, bor 70 oh press 60

What sort of weights were you lads hitting when you we're dabbling in 5x5's , just curious as I'm about to start failing reps, currently at 150 deadlift, 135 squat, bench 85, bor 70 oh press 60

Wrapped in at around 180kg deads, 150kg squats, 90kg bench on 5x5.

If I deloaded I'm pretty certain I could have easily sustained even more progression but frankly I get bored too easily. I may well have another look at a similar programme in 6 months time.

Wrapped in at around 180kg deads, 150kg squats, 90kg bench on 5x5.

If I deloaded I'm pretty certain I could have easily sustained even more progression but frankly I get bored too easily. I may well have another look at a similar programme in 6 months time.
Ok, I think I'll have a look at a deload week

Aye mate my mrs wanted to go down to the pool so she walked in and the whole team are in there just chilling out.

I'm waiting outside and a massive guy comes through the door in just a pair of shorts and flip flops. Didn't clock him at first then saw all the tattoos...I said, 'f***ing hell it's sonny bill how's it going mate?'

Thankfully he was absolutely sound and we had a chat for a couple of minutes. Exceptionally talented sportsman, pro boxer/pro rugby league and pro Union...incredible really

Aye mate my mrs wanted to go down to the pool so she walked in and the whole team are in there just chilling out.

I'm waiting outside and a massive guy comes through the door in just a pair of shorts and flip flops. Didn't clock him at first then saw all the tattoos...I said, 'f***ing hell it's sonny bill how's it going mate?'

Thankfully he was absolutely sound and we had a chat for a couple of minutes. Exceptionally talented sportsman, pro boxer/pro rugby league and pro Union...incredible really

He seems a dick on the pitch because he's so competitive, but that's what makes him a great player. People also hate him for his flip-flopping, but fuck it he can do it and still be successful so why not?

Re: the boxing, he's fought some absolute bums so nobody knows how good he really is :lol:

He seems a dick on the pitch because he's so competitive, but that's what makes him a great player. People also hate him for his flip-flopping, but fuck it he can do it and still be successful so why not?

Re: the boxing, he's fought some absolute bums so nobody knows how good he really is :lol:

Spoke to a few of the guys and they were all great. Find that with rugby, most pros are down to earth and will have a chat with you..

Yeah as for his boxing he picked his fights well, still wouldn't fancy a punch off him :lol:

Spoke to a few of the guys and they were all great. Find that with rugby, most pros are down to earth and will have a chat with you..

Yeah as for his boxing he picked his fights well, still wouldn't fancy a punch off him :lol:
Who else like?

Would love to meet Conrad Smith. Used to watch him intently and try to emulate his running lines from Outside Centre. He's a master of off the ball movement.

Back