Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Big PB for me today. I hit 130kg x 4 (paused of course) with a comfortable rep in the tank. I'll post the video later, but I'll say that I made 135kg look heavy on Tuesday and made some technical changes

Good progress mate. Looking forward to competing alongside you at some point next year

Yeah, I wouldn't feel disgraced at a comp with what I imagine my squat and deadlift would be at now in terms of 1rm, by next year they should be a lot better as well.

My bench needs a lot of work though.

When i squatted 160 for 3 it was only a few technical changes and i was squatting 190 within a month or so.

With the rate of progression on stronglifts (7.5kg per week x 4 = 30kg) I'd hope to be at 190 for at least three reps a month last Friday. Barring failures, of course.

I might expect to start failing a bit in the coming months though so we'll see how it goes. I need to start being a bit more dilligent with my mobility work, that'll be key. As well as eating loads.

Actually, just reviewing the spreadsheet I prepared before starting this 12 weeks of SL. I'm ahead of target on squat, on par with deadlifts and lagging with bench.

Might need to look at a programme which accommodates more bench work when I get to the end of twelve weeks. I should be benching 2 plates 5x5 but failed at 87.5kg last bench session.

Last edited:
With the rate of progression on stronglifts (7.5kg per week x 4 = 30kg) I'd hope to be at 190 for at least three reps a month last Friday. Barring failures, of course.

I might expect to start failing a bit in the coming months though so we'll see how it goes. I need to start being a bit more dilligent with my mobility work, that'll be key. As well as eating loads.

Actually, just reviewing the spreadsheet I prepared before starting this 12 weeks of SL. I'm ahead of target on squat, on par with deadlifts and lagging with bench.

Might need to look at a programme which accommodates more bench work when I get to the end of twelve weeks. I should be benching 2 plates 5x5 but failed at 87.5kg last bench session.
Well we aren't spreadsheets that's just to track what you're doing so you can look at what volume, rep range periodisation etc will work for you.

I'm surprised you're still gaining on strong lifts, what's your routine like atm? Are you deloading before testing max's

Well we aren't spreadsheets that's just to track what you're doing so you can look at what volume, rep range periodisation etc will work for you.

I'm surprised you're still gaining on strong lifts, what's your routine like atm? Are you deloading before testing max's

Literally just the original stronglifts 5x5 template -A; squats, bench, rows & B; squats, ohp, deads.

Not sure if I'll bother testing maxes for a while. I'm not signed up for any meets and am targeting next year, I'm not in need of any kind of confidence booster so I'd rather just train I think.

My plan was to stick on stronglifts for longer than the prescribed 12 weeks but I may need to look into changing the way I train bench, because it's just not good enough currently. Just starting week 11 so I am thinking about this now.

Any thoughts/input on that anyone?

No but provided my mate trains tonight (he's threatening to be a bit of a flake) I'll get him to film a set.

No worries. Can't say too much until I see it but:

- Are you pausing?
- Are you staying tight?
- Are you using leg drive?
- Is your grip allowing you to use your lats? (I'll post a comparison vid of some of my recent benching soon and you'll see what a difference it makes)

245kg Squat

I've had 2 high level powerlifters say the depth was just in. Personally, I'm not satisfied but don't give a fuck if it was or not; it was slow, shitty and not good enough. I'm not going to bother writing the excuses out, but what I will say is that I shouldn't have even been in the gym today with how I feel.

I also found the motivational shouting in the background quite funny watching it back. It helps when lifting, but barring my training partner all I actually hear is noise, which can sometimes be amusing watching it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries. Can't say too much until I see it but:

- Are you pausing?
- Are you staying tight?
- Are you using leg drive?
- Is your grip allowing you to use your lats? (I'll post a comparison vid of some of my recent benching soon and you'll see what a difference it makes)

245kg Squat

I've had 2 high level powerlifters say the depth was just in. Personally, I'm not satisfied but don't give a fuck if it was or not; it was slow, shitty and not good enough. I'm not going to bother writing the excuses out, but what I will say is that I shouldn't have even been in the gym today with how I feel.

I also found the motivational shouting in the background quite funny watching it back. It helps when lifting, but barring my training partner all I actually hear is noise, which can sometimes be amusing watching it back.

I pause for the first three reps of each set and then don't for the last two. This is a deliberate thing, having read that pausing isn't necessarily beneficial beyond triples.

I am staying tight, sometimes I feel some slipping on the last rep in the latter sets but largely I keep my shape well.

Only just figured out how to get a good leg drive but I do use that now.

I'm not sure on that last question. I'm going to say 'no' though as I don't feel a great deal of lat engagement.

I pause for the first three reps of each set and then don't for the last two. This is a deliberate thing, having read that pausing isn't necessarily beneficial beyond triples.

I am staying tight, sometimes I feel some slipping on the last rep in the latter sets but largely I keep my shape well.

Only just figured out how to get a good leg drive but I do use that now.

I'm not sure on that last question. I'm going to say 'no' though as I don't feel a great deal of lat engagement.

Pull your shoulder blades together and also downwards and then tuck on the eccentric and should get a nice tricep/lat cushion going on. You'll also be more stable. This, plus well timed leg drive will help quite a bit.

Before anybody mentions "Just get stronger", this is just a way to maximise a person's movement efficiency for strength sports.

things stopping me at the moment.

Grip strength on deadlifts
And just at the bottom of the hole I'm the squat.

Just going to be pausing a lot more, other than that progress has been good all round.

What do people think to deadlifts every day like squats?

things stopping me at the moment.

Grip strength on deadlifts
And just at the bottom of the hole I'm the squat.

Just going to be pausing a lot more, other than that progress has been good all round.

What do people think to deadlifts every day like squats?

Everything I've read on the matter suggests deadlifting more than twice a week is a bad idea. Unless its very low intensity.

I know a guy deadlifting most days per week. He's doing 3-6 singles at around 90% of how he feels at that day. He's not natural and I don't think it's a great idea regardless

I know a guy deadlifting most days per week. He's doing 3-6 singles at around 90% of how he feels at that day. He's not natural and I don't think it's a great idea regardless
I feel like it's my mentality as well, I'm obsessed by the squat, I do it every session and the dl is a side note

Back