Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Anyone ever done their rotator cuff?

Getting some pain in my shoulder but it only happens when I move a certain way. If someone asked me to replicate the move to make it hurt I couldn't do it.

Rested it up a bit but doesn't seem to be getting any better..... :confused:

Getting some pain in my shoulder but it only happens when I move a certain way. If someone asked me to replicate the move to make it hurt I couldn't do it.

Yeah I've got stretched rc so my shoulder pops out now and again, just avoid what makes it hurt for a while whether that means less weight or different movements and then after a month do some rc strengthening

And learn some rc.and shoulder warm ups for a few minutes before your train.

Used to get a bit of pain when I used dumbells.

Haven't had any RC pain since I started arching properly and only doing barbell bench.

Edit:

Thought I'd add, got my mate who has started training with me to deadlift 90kg for 5 at the first time of asking. That was double overhand as well. Quite impressed with him. There was a bit of a form issue in that he was keeping a neutral spine but almost performing a stiff legged deadlift at that weight, still, it was good going for someone who has never performed a deadlift before.

Last edited:
Hit 140kg paused bench today (which I've hit for a double before). I was quite disappointed but it's probably the most controlled 140kg I've hit and it was also a 2 count pause. When I hit the 140 double I was also benching the day before I squatted, which is now switched and takes a bit off my bench

Not anticipating a good session tonight. Played footy last night and its been a while. All the stopping and changes of direction have left my legs pretty sore. Supposed to be squatting and deadlifting. Might have to have an unplanned de-load otherwise I'll get nowhere near 5x5 reps and it'll be a wasted session.

Not anticipating a good session tonight. Played footy last night and its been a while. All the stopping and changes of direction have left my legs pretty sore. Supposed to be squatting and deadlifting. Might have to have an unplanned de-load otherwise I'll get nowhere near 5x5 reps and it'll be a wasted session.

I've found football (since I play infrequently), takes about 10-15% off my dead lifting the next day

I've found football (since I play infrequently), takes about 10-15% off my dead lifting the next day

It was just training. But it's with a completely new Sunday league team still trying to work out defensive formations etc'. We were doing a lot of work on defending out wide and what to do when play is switched. We're working on wide midfielders tucking in and allowing the fullback to fill in as a third centre half when the ball is on your opposite flank. I'm a wide midfielder so was backwards and forwards to cover and then press my opposite number all the time. My hips feel fucked :lol:

One positive, I guess, was that my appetite is now through the roof.

It was just training. But it's with a completely new Sunday league team still trying to work out defensive formations etc'. We were doing a lot of work on defending out wide and what to do when play is switched. We're working on wide midfielders tucking in and allowing the fullback to fill in as a third centre half when the ball is on your opposite flank. I'm a wide midfielder so was backwards and forwards to cover and then press my opposite number all the time. My hips feel fucked :lol:

Fuck me, what ever happened to "Hit him hard man"

Keep on subject please lads :D

There are around 5 people in the whole 'squad', myself included, who have the mobility to get close enough to someone to hit them hard :lol:

All this positioning work is totally necessary.

It's actually good to see some decent tactics in Sunday league. Used to drive me mad. Played with only a handful of people who knew how to make false runs or drag defenders and they never got any credit for it.

Unrelated but would anybody be interested in informational videos of some sort? Either just myself or me and a training partner. I'm also going to start filming full sessions as opposed to just occasional lifts. I train with various record holders as well as 2 guys who have a CT Fletcher approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually good to see some decent tactics in Sunday league. Used to drive me mad. Played with only a handful of people who knew how to make false runs or drag defenders and they never got any credit for it.

Unrelated but would anybody be interested in informational videos of some sort? Either just myself or me and a training partner. I'm going to start filming full sessions as opposed to just occasional lifts. I train with various record holders as well as 2 guys who have a CT Fletcher approach.

That would be class mate

Unrelated but would anybody be interested in informational videos of some sort? Either just myself or me and a training partner. I'm also going to start filming full sessions as opposed to just occasional lifts. I train with various record holders as well as 2 guys who have a CT Fletcher approach.

I'd be very interested.

Particularly as you do have a lot of ambition in the sport, it would be good to follw your progress and the rationale behind how you're training/cycling your diet.

Just finished deadlifts and squats. Worked up to a double on deads and then hit a beltless PB of 160kg x 3 on paused squats. I had more reps easily, but no need.

Question re: training most days. Is it possible for someone of my training experience?

I'm keeping my gym membership because I like the place and the people who train there but there's a chance that this garage gym me and my mate were talking about could be happening seriously, for a very good price. Rack, bench, bar and 100kg of plates for about 250 quid each then I'll throw in for the extra plates I need. Could be even cheaper than that as another mate is interested in chipping in.

Thinking of using the garage for all the powerlifting stuff and using the gym for strongman type exercises. Is this advisable or too much?

Edit: I'm finding my squat training is going better if I ramp up to a top set. Everything else bar deadlift is 5x5 on the same weight. Going for a beltless 145kg for 5 tonight.

Question re: training most days. Is it possible for someone of my training experience?

I'm keeping my gym membership because I like the place and the people who train there but there's a chance that this garage gym me and my mate were talking about could be happening seriously, for a very good price. Rack, bench, bar and 100kg of plates for about 250 quid each then I'll throw in for the extra plates I need. Could be even cheaper than that as another mate is interested in chipping in.

Thinking of using the garage for all the powerlifting stuff and using the gym for strongman type exercises. Is this advisable or too much?

Edit: I'm finding my squat training is going better if I ramp up to a top set. Everything else bar deadlift is 5x5 on the same weight. Going for a beltless 145kg for 5 tonight.

You could train more days but if it's serious strongman training that's probably not advisable. If you're doing strongman circuits with much lighter weight, you should be fine.

Update on this weekend regarding the comp - I'm not doing it. As I mentioned before it was postponed from July and after asking around I still couldn't get info on weigh in times, locations etc. I said to my girlfriend that if I hadn't heard anything by Sunday just gone, I was going in to meet prep for November 2nd which I know is going ahead. Me and my training partner are both training for the same meet though. He wants to redeem himself as he's not happy with his performance at the British this year (Squatted 270 at 79kg...). Will be recording a full squat session on Monday with me, him and a few others.

Back