Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
@Lewberry pie - quick question, when you did the texas method did you do it as is or replace cleans with SLDL and press with more benching?

235 is my best like. I've been reviewing form videos and my lower back doesn't round but I start with my shoulder blades more forward than I thought, which I suspect is where my lockout issues come from (235kg comes off the ground like an RPE 7.5 lift then I slow right down above the knees :lol:). Need a much better starting position.

Always a work in progress!
My form goes out the window and I get to focussed on just getting the thing up. Back rounds and then jerking at the top. I'm now ignoring the pbs and going back to 5x5 app for a while

Been a while!

Fully commited to the sumo switch, well wide stance conventional. Worked wonders, my back's less fatigued and it moves quick, only pulled 180 since the change but I deloaded when I switch so working my way back up to 200+ 10kg per month for now. My squat feels strong too, hopefully hit that 4plater in the next month or so, cracked the twice my body weight squat pretty easily recently. Bench is still poverty, but moving gyms this month and the new gym has a a competition bench. Sounds daft but I can move all of my doubles for 5 reps on a good bench compare to the one I've been working on!

Been a while!

Fully commited to the sumo switch, well wide stance conventional. Worked wonders, my back's less fatigued and it moves quick, only pulled 180 since the change but I deloaded when I switch so working my way back up to 200+ 10kg per month for now. My squat feels strong too, hopefully hit that 4plater in the next month or so, cracked the twice my body weight squat pretty easily recently. Bench is still poverty, but moving gyms this month and the new gym has a a competition bench. Sounds daft but I can move all of my doubles for 5 reps on a good bench compare to the one I've been working on!

Not daft at all. Two of the 4 benches at my gym are too thin and I can't maintain an arch on them beyond 2-3 reps. So I know exactly what you mean!

Wew! Tried a different belt position when doing shrugs last night and found the rack pull portion of the lift a hell of a lot easier. Perhaps I've been kidding myself that having it right below my chest is good for me.

Last edited:
Not daft at all. Two of the 4 benches at my gym are too thin and I can't maintain an arch on them beyond 2-3 reps. So I know exactly what you mean!

Wew! Tried a different belt position when doing shrugs last night and found the rack pull portion of the lift a hell of a lot easier. Perhaps I've been kidding myself that having it right below my chest is good for me.
Belt position is a mare at times, I've tried a few personally, when squatting having it high feels really good for unracking and the second part of the lift, but having it just under my ribs makes me feel solid in the hole... I might just start wearing a girdle.

making some really good progress mate, 3 plates is a good hurdle to get over.
Cheers mate, I think I've come full cycle on training now because like a lot of people I neglected legs when o first started - in my case probably the first 9 months , but now I'm almost obsessed with squatting and am doing it every training session. The 3 plates thing was good like symbolically :)

although not really strength training, it's not really worthy of a new thread. A week or so ago I ordered a blood test from blue horizon, purely for curiosity I guess, never had one done and was interested in seeing my test levels etc. Thye send you two small vials to fill with a few lancets.....what a bloody waste of time and money, the lancets barely scratch the skin meaning you can only get two drops of blood max.

Fair play to them, they're giving me a full refund.

although not really strength training, it's not really worthy of a new thread. A week or so ago I ordered a blood test from blue horizon, purely for curiosity I guess, never had one done and was interested in seeing my test levels etc. Thye send you two small vials to fill with a few lancets.....what a bloody waste of time and money, the lancets barely scratch the skin meaning you can only get two drops of blood max.

Fair play to them, they're giving me a full refund.

Extensive panels usually require a full vial. Was it a small glass tube that you sealed with clay?

Extensive panels usually require a full vial. Was it a small glass tube that you sealed with clay?
No it was two small plastic vials, both with different coloured rubber stoppers. Had to fill one half way and the other as much as possible. Didn't explain the reason for this.

Any of you got any specific warm up/warm down/stretching that you do before and after lifting?

Been getting canny sore/stiff lately so think I best start doing it properly

Any of you got any specific warm up/warm down/stretching that you do before and after lifting?

Been getting canny sore/stiff lately so think I best start doing it properly
http://www.catalystathletics.com/video/74/Catalyst-Athletics-Standard-Warm-up/

I don't do all of these but most of them. Foam roll too, my left hip and hamstrings is ridiculously tight atm, painful everytime I get in the car

I also roll my shoulders with a plastic pipe. My shoulders are taking a battering with what I'm doing nowadays.

they'll be plenty on youtube. I only roll on my hamstrings, outside of my hips, and my back (thorasic and lumbar)

In terms of the actual roller, at home I have this http://www.foamrollercanada.com/product/smooth-foam-roller-36/ albeit not at that mental price.

at the gym they only have ones like these which for me are too narrow. I prefer my smooth, wide one (whey hey)

Cheers mate, theres a smooth one on that amazon link for £8 like, is it just personal preference smooth vs ridged? Or is there benefits to have all the sticky out bits?

Cheers mate, theres a smooth one on that amazon link for £8 like, is it just personal preference smooth vs ridged? Or is there benefits to have all the sticky out bits?
they say they're designed to get into the trigger points, but tbh I find 9/10 they just miss them then when you roll a bit further they jump to the next nobble, missing the point you're trying to get too again.

I'm heavy enough that even a smooth one is bloody painful when you hit the right spot.

When you hit a spot keep the pressure on it for 20-30 seconds.

oh, and by 'roll my shoulders with pipe' I mean something like this:

not foam rolling

Last edited:

Back