Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Because 5/3/1 as a programme involves one squat day per week, as it's written. If you're following 5x5 the idea is you squat 3 days per week.

5/3/1/ Would have you do one squat day per week with the following weekly taper:

3 x 5
3 x 3
1 x 5, 1 x 3, 1 x 1.

Why are you 'sick' of three weekly 5x5 squat sessions? Lack of progress or just find it boring?

Edit: 5/3/1 is also for intermediate/advanced trainees who have some idea of autoregulation. Not sure of your stage of progression but something to bear in minds. There are '+' sets where you need to have a good idea of what your limits are so you can stop short of them.

Think its a mix of bored/no progress. Got to 90kg 5x5 and struggling to progress and the thought of doing 5x5 was making me not want to do them.

I'm keeping squats in my routine 100% but looking at alternatives to 5x5 to mix it up.

I didn't realise 5/3/1 was like that tbh thought it was still 3 times a week.

I don't mind squatting 3 times a week though but 5x5 is for some reason making me not want to do them.

Love everything else on 5x5 as I'm progressing it's just squats I'm struggling with.

Just got 115kg 1rep which is the most I've done anarl

Squat*

P.s cheers for the chalk tip. Bought some liquid chalk to test and had no bother with grip on Deadlift at all

Last edited:

Think its a mix of bored/no progress. Got to 90kg 5x5 and struggling to progress and the thought of doing 5x5 was making me not want to do them.

I'm keeping squats in my routine 100% but looking at alternatives to 5x5 to mix it up.

I didn't realise 5/3/1 was like that tbh thought it was still 3 times a week.

I don't mind squatting 3 times a week though but 5x5 is for some reason making me not want to do them.

Love everything else on 5x5 as I'm progressing it's just squats I'm struggling with.

Just got 115kg 1rep which is the most I've done anarl

Squat*

P.s cheers for the chalk tip. Bought some liquid chalk to test and had no bother with grip on Deadlift at all

Try madcows, it only has you hitting your PR for one set of 5 a week, although you still do 5 sets
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...744&authkey=!AAeztuVPRVdX-Z8&ithint=file,xlsx

End of my hypertrophy phase, so didn't stick to plan today really. Instead of 5 x 4 - 6, just did 5 x 3 up to 232 x 5 on squats. Decided to do an extra set in wraps, did easy 240 x 5, which I was happy with given I just did it at the end of the session in my mates spare pair. Fresh and once I'm used to wraps again I'm probably good for 250-260 x 5-6

Starting to get sick of 5x5 squats.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do 5/3/1 on squats and 5x5 as normal for everything else?
I just started back up this week but already decided to switch the midweek session - taking squats out and replacing with dips/pull ups.

Mixture or boredom and also when the weight gets heavier squats used to buckle me and affect the rest of my workout.

Maybe try changing it for something else, or do a lighter squat session for one of the days a week

@supersesh do Marina House do walk in options? I don't mind PG too much but trying to get a bench on a Monday takes the piss! Don't know if it's any better at MH like?

Only 3 Bench presses available tonight and one of them was a smith :mad:

@supersesh do Marina House do walk in options? I don't mind PG too much but trying to get a bench on a Monday takes the piss! Don't know if it's any better at MH like?

Only 3 Bench presses available tonight and one of them was a smith :mad:

I left there mate, got my own place now.

You can pay on door, some lad called jimbam or something runs a strength and conditioning class there, supposed to be really good.

The deadlift boards I built will probs be smashed to bits by now, so I'd forget any power lifting tbh.

Fitness 2000 is another option. Trained there a few weeks back when I was up Sunderland and wasn't too busy from 5:15 to after 7

I left there mate, got my own place now.

You can pay on door, some lad called jimbam or something runs a strength and conditioning class there, supposed to be really good.

The deadlift boards I built will probs be smashed to bits by now, so I'd forget any power lifting tbh.
Nice one on the new place mate

Fitness 2000 is another option. Trained there a few weeks back when I was up Sunderland and wasn't too busy from 5:15 to after 7
Yeah I looked at that today on their website and it only mentioned the monthly - which I might do -nut would like to try it out first, how much was a walk in?

Cool - deadlifts tonight, don't suppose you noticed / if anyone else goes knows this, is chalk OK? I've not had any problems at pure using it, but don't want to rock up and use it if it's against the etiquette

Fine at Fitness 2000

Feels like I've done something to one of my intercostal muscles. Every time I breathe in I get a sharp pain between the bottom and second bottom rib on my left hand side. Felt it tweak a bit doing deficit deadlifts the other night but didn't think anything of it.

Feels like I've done something to one of my intercostal muscles. Every time I breathe in I get a sharp pain between the bottom and second bottom rib on my left hand side. Felt it tweak a bit doing deficit deadlifts the other night but didn't think anything of it.

I've had an arm/shoulder issue for a few weeks now. Only hurts when doing over head presses. Any ideas other than not doing overhead presses?

Are you warming up sufficiently ? stretching through the movement etc?

Are you bringing the bar infront or behind your head?

I have to admit to no warm ups, but that's probably too late now, cos I've already done damage #idiot. Im starting to find when i rotate my arm it doesnt feel like a smooth movement in my shoulder, more like gears changing on a bike, if that makes sense at all? And if I fully stretch my arm out to the side it feels like an ache and pulling on the outside part of the upper arm.

In front mate.

I've had an arm/shoulder issue for a few weeks now. Only hurts when doing over head presses. Any ideas other than not doing overhead presses?

So a couple of things re: potential causes. Yes, you should warm up. My warm up for pressing consists of face pulls on the cable machine and a red band (cheap to pick up on Amazon) with which I do band pull aparts (across the chest and down behind the head). You should also warm your shoulders up when you squat. Band pull aparts and overhead squats with a broom handle are good for this, I find.

Also - where do you have your hands when you press overhead? And when you bench, where on your chest do you touch the bar?

So a couple of things re: potential causes. Yes, you should warm up. My warm up for pressing consists of face pulls on the cable machine and a red band (cheap to pick up on Amazon) with which I do band pull aparts (across the chest and down behind the head). You should also warm your shoulders up when you squat. Band pull aparts and overhead squats with a broom handle are good for this, I find.

Also - where do you have your hands when you press overhead? And when you bench, where on your chest do you touch the bar?

Cheers.

My hands are on the bar erm about middle width apart. Hmm I bring it down to just under my chin I guess. (presuming we are still talking about overhead presses).

Back