Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Trained at back to basics for the first time last night, was a bit overawed by the amount of equipment, not used to all them machines. Oly platforms and squat rack weren't too busy though which is good and some much bigger lads in there than my old gym, probably good for motivation.

I didn't know that, as it's the first week of doing said pattern I am still finding my way. Obviously 100kg is more than 95%

If 95kg was your previous max you should take 85.5kg as your training max (90%) then 81.2kg as your weight for the 1+ set.

It's light I know but you're trying to set rep records on these rather than 1 rep records, and focus on force production on those lighter loads - i.e. treat them as you would a PR attempt and hit them hard!

If 95kg was your previous max you should take 85.5kg as your training max (90%) then 81.2kg as your weight for the 1+ set.

It's light I know but you're trying to set rep records on these rather than 1 rep records, and focus on force production on those lighter loads - i.e. treat them as you would a PR attempt and hit them hard!
So I don't just do 5/6 single rep sets at 100%?

Starting to get sick of 5x5 squats.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do 5/3/1 on squats and 5x5 as normal for everything else?

Because 5/3/1 as a programme involves one squat day per week, as it's written. If you're following 5x5 the idea is you squat 3 days per week.

5/3/1/ Would have you do one squat day per week with the following weekly taper:

3 x 5
3 x 3
1 x 5, 1 x 3, 1 x 1.

Why are you 'sick' of three weekly 5x5 squat sessions? Lack of progress or just find it boring?

Edit: 5/3/1 is also for intermediate/advanced trainees who have some idea of autoregulation. Not sure of your stage of progression but something to bear in minds. There are '+' sets where you need to have a good idea of what your limits are so you can stop short of them.

Back