People still living with parents when they're over 20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got me own place on me 18th birthday, best thing i've ever done.

Couple of young'uns in at our work in their early 20's who still live at home and they haven't got a clue about loads of everyday stuff. I agree with the OP, it's best to fly the nest as early as you can.

moved out when I was 27. And only then because I was bought a toaster and kettle set for xmas off me parents and thought I would take the hint

18 and at home, pay my mam £160 a month in board, pay my car insurance and the rest goes to me. Love it me lads. I'm not ready to be a proper ale drinking tab smerking blerk.

I left when I was 18 for university. I was only really at home for one summer during that and been away ever since.

I agree it's good to get out as soon as you can but it can be so expensive so I understand people staying on a bit longer/going back if things go wrong.

Moved out to go to university a few days after my 21st birthday, didn't move back home until after I graduated, and now I'm off again for a year. I'll be 24 next month
Logon or register to see this image

Eh? So you are older than me!?

Last edited:
Interesting thread and a million different responses. Left home at 20 and didn't return bar visits. Son, 21, still at home and he can stay until he wants to leave. Pays no rent, no bills and all the money he earns is his. I and his mother, no, are adamant he should remain until he can stand on his own 2 feet - by that I mean be financially secure. He only gets around £1k a month and if he was letting, even with another, round here, he would not have any of the £1k left to do anything other than sit in the gaffe and breathe. Madness the cost of houses/rents etc and so until he gets so pissed off with us, or his mates take the piss so much out of him, he can stay until his pension date.

Historically, as the OP suggested, we all left home asap and flew the nest, and property could be purchased for 2 or 3 times your salary. Not in a million years now. Property is utter madness and we all garner a debt which the average individual hopes he repays in 25 years, but goes through utter pain and sometimes abject poverty to live with a roof over their head.

Last time I was home I heard they were giving money to kids in sixth form/ college. What's that all about then?

Not any more, it used to be called Educational Maintenance Allowance and was about £30 a week if your household income was <£20k. Above £30k and you weren't entitled to it.

So hardly enough to support yourself, it was meant for paying for your bus pass to college and books etc'.

Of course, people who got it spent it on booze and I wasn't entitled to it :evil:

Moved out when i was 27 had done a lot of travelling before that and always handy when your broke to come back to have the parents to fall back on with cheap accom and everything sorted for you. Took a few years to get decent wedge up to sort out deposit for house. Most of my mates in Ireland didnt leave home till late 20s or around 30 just cause the cost of renting and buying is so high

I am 29 year old and always lived with parents. Dont pay board and can spend all my money on myself, dont see the point in paying rent which would be money down the drain. I will move out one day with my lass maybe but only if I was to buy.

Moved out when I was 17. Why you want to be living with your rents passed 18 is beyond me.

Moved out when I was 17. Why you want to be living with your rents passed 18 is beyond me.
Washing, ironing, cooking done etc done for you and saves at very least £300 a month.

Not any more, it used to be called Educational Maintenance Allowance and was about £30 a week if your household income was <£20k. Above £30k and you weren't entitled to it.

So hardly enough to support yourself, it was meant for paying for your bus pass to college and books etc'.

Of course, people who got it spent it on booze and I wasn't entitled to it :evil:
Not sure about England, but in Scotland there was a loophole that I know a few people exploited.

If your parents split up, and the one you live with had a new partner (co-habiting), but didn't marry them, you still got the full allowance if their income was less than £30k.

Not sure about England, but in Scotland there was a loophole that I know a few people exploited.

If your parents split up, and the one you live with had a new partner (co-habiting), but didn't marry them, you still got the full allowance if their income was less than £30k.

No way I could have exploited that.

22 here, not in any rush. On the road to improving my health. Too many people jumping to conclusions. I've lived away for a couple years and it ain't all that... I get everything I need at home for now. :)

I lived at home until I was about 25, had been to Uni, then came back and was saving to buy with the missus, which took about a year, then moved out and got our own place.

It was difficult at times, but I don't see anything wrong with it personally, very much depends on personal circumstances etc.

Overstayed my welcome by a good few years and still regret it. Dunno how people can do it in their mid 20's like.

22 here, not in any rush. On the road to improving my health. Too many people jumping to conclusions. I've lived away for a couple years and it ain't all that... I get everything I need at home for now. :)

Your washing done and your tea on the table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back