Milk delivered to your door step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny but I just started getting milk delivered a few weeks ago. Got a terribly worded letter through door (with no contact details on) trying to drum up extra business. When they came knocking I was glad to help by signing up (and telling them to include contact details next time). Mind there cashflow must be terrible as they've not collected a single payment yet.

Why can't more of us help local & British businesses? We're leaving the EU so let's also start helping each other!!

I buy all fish from North Shields Fish Quay. Its fresh so better quality & cheaper!

All my meat comes delivered from a British butcher in Smithfield market.

:cool:

Funny but I just started getting milk delivered a few weeks ago. Got a terribly worded letter through door (with no contact details on) trying to drum up extra business. When they came knocking I was glad to help by signing up (and telling them to include contact details next time). Mind there cashflow must be terrible as they've not collected a single payment yet.

Why can't more of us help local & British businesses? We're leaving the EU so let's also start helping each other!!

I buy all fish from North Shields Fish Quay. Its fresh so better quality & cheaper!

All my meat comes delivered from a British butcher in Smithfield market.
Got something similar myself. Live in Gilesgate.

Didn't think you could romanticize about milk delivery but I used to love watching the blue tits pick the foil off a bottle on a cold Autumnal morning. Cheeky little sausages used to get the cream :)

It was an amazing thing. It was observed in one part of the country then very quickly was seen all over. Nobody has been able to explain how the knowledge spread so fast. Robins were observed doing the same sometime later. Being a different species and territorial it is not known how (or if) this knowledge was obtained from blue tits or how it spread.

I read an article on it a while ago, and I think it was only a matter of weeks between it being seen in Southern England to being seen in Northern Scotland. They can't digest milk, so it was the cream they were after. Now that most people drink semi-skimmed, even if we did still have foil topped milk it would not be as common.

It was an amazing thing. It was observed in one part of the country then very quickly was seen all over. Nobody has been able to explain how the knowledge spread so fast. Robins were observed doing the same sometime later. Being a different species and territorial it is not known how (or if) this knowledge was obtained from blue tits or how it spread.

I read an article on it a while ago, and I think it was only a matter of weeks between it being seen in Southern England to being seen in Northern Scotland. They can't digest milk, so it was the cream they were after. Now that most people drink semi-skimmed, even if we did still have foil topped milk it would not be as common.

I didn't realise a lot of that. Fantastic little fellas!

Why not, it's the ultimate lazy age.

That's why I'm surprised use of a milkman hasn't increased.

Mind I wouldn't even know where to start in terms of arranging one. Never really see any about.

I find that pretty amazing really. Why on earth would we need to import milk?

Was reading an article about cheese the other day and we're now making more cheese in this country than the French. The reason why is because farmers simply aren't getting the money from dairy cows they need so are getting cute with their milk. I suppose you could say that side of things is now on the up and times change.

The whole EU thing has been nuts since I was a kid. The farmer just up the road from us wasn't allowed to grow tattys any more because of the trade agreement, we as a country had to import a certain amount back in the 80's. Ten years later they slashed the funding for his dairy and he wasn't allowed to sell non pasturised butter or cheese which his wife made. They did continue to do so to long term customers, but the whole EU setup fucked our farm industry over long before the supermarkets.

I'm up for supporting local businesses up to a point. I use my local butcher because they are very nice and friendly, have very good quality meat and at a decent price. We have a fairly local astronomy shop and I have bought most of my kit from there, because it is great to have a local expert selling in a niche market. He has given me some great advice in the past. For some things, I use a local hardware shop which has the traditional buckets of every type of screw and bolt imaginable - a far better range than B&Q and well priced, though they are a bit grumpy. These people are all offering something better or different than on-line or the big chains so I'm happy to support that and use these businesses.

My local corner shop is very expensive and does not seem to stock much half the time. Every time I have been in there, I have been disappointed with what they were selling and shocked at the price. I do not go there, and actually Tesco is closer. Same with a milkman, I will not pay more for worse just because someone has a 1920s business model. This weekend I will be harvesting my home grown taties. Some near the surface will be a bit soft or green. If I went round the doors trying to sell these crappy ones for more than Tesco, would I have any right to whinge just because I'm British trying to make some money? No, I'd be selling overpriced crap and would not deserve to make any money from it.

There was uproar in my town when a local restaurant went out of business, but a couple of chains like Zizi's are thriving. I went to that restaurant once and it was awful. We didn't stop for dessert because we just did not want any more food in that place after a disappointing starter and a very poor main. They were the lowest rated on Trip Advisor. Local business will never be able to compete with a supermarket offering the same service. They need to offer something different, something unique or just quality.

In terms of Tesco themselves, my fairly bright brother-in-law was lazy after doing his a-levels and much to our despair sat on his arse at home all day claiming dole. One day he had a meeting at the job centre where they said "If you do not have a job by the end of the month, we will find one for you. If you do not take it, all funds are stopped". The next day he got a job at Tesco. They recognised him as someone with a bit of nouse and when they opened an opticians they pushed him to take that on in a more senior role. After a bit they said they would like him to become a fully qualified ophthalmologist and would completely pay for all the training and his degree. My local Tesco is actually open when I'm not at work (unlike most of the local businesses, so I can actually get there without taking time off) and employs over 100 local people. Every time I hear that beep at the till, I know that is paying wages for locals and directly supporting my brother-in-law's professional development.

As a kid I used to love it when you had a lump of rice crispies in the middle of your breakfast where they had all clagged together with the cream of the top of the bottle. My sister knew this and would often shake the bottles in the fridge each morning to make sure it didn't happen!

All fair points and I think it is inevitable that we eventually reach an age where people tend to do their shopping in one place or have it delivered. Some can't even be bothered to walk from the car park and they park in the set-down / pick-up bay. Good point about the supermarkets employing people too.

I suppose I am just a Luddite thinking back to shopping round local businesses. But since that required people to walk between shops it would never work if an alternative was to arrive, as it duly did.

I'm guessing about 65p now.

I've seen Morrisons selling milk where they say they give 23p a pint (or litre?) to farmers.

Having said that I'd love a pint delivered every day but I suspect it would be nicked off our doorstep :lol:

I bet it's 23p more expensive too. :lol:

It is actually more expensive than their normal milk, aye :lol:

Don't think it's the full 23p though! They have the same thing on with other dairy products as well. It's quite interesting that they've placed the choice onto consumers rather than taking the initiative to pay farmers a decent amount themselves I suppose.

Don't think it's the full 23p though! They have the same thing on with other dairy products as well. It's quite interesting that they've placed the choice onto consumers rather than taking the initiative to pay farmers a decent amount themselves I suppose.

I think they want to give their more affluent customers the option of paying more to the poor farmers while at the same time not appearing to be more expensive to everyone else. Fair enough IMO.

The whole EU thing has been nuts since I was a kid. The farmer just up the road from us wasn't allowed to grow tattys any more because of the trade agreement, we as a country had to import a certain amount back in the 80's. Ten years later they slashed the funding for his dairy and he wasn't allowed to sell non pasturised butter or cheese which his wife made. They did continue to do so to long term customers, but the whole EU setup fucked our farm industry over long before the supermarkets.

Interesting that the papers lead us to believe the farmers all voted remain due to the large amounts of EU subsidies.

I suppose if you are a farmer and are guaranteed a fair sized income from the EU to not grow stuff or face going back to an unrestricted farming but needing to build up a competitive business again then the EU route is the easiest option but perhaps not as good for the soul.

Now I come to think about it, I remember the UK butter mountain was always in the news when I was a kid. I thought it was an actual pile of butter somewhere the size of a mountain and wondered why it didn't melt away or get covered in flies.

Interesting that the papers lead us to believe the farmers all voted remain due to the large amounts of EU subsidies.

I suppose if you are a farmer and are guaranteed a fair sized income from the EU to not grow stuff or face going back to an unrestricted farming but needing to build up a competitive business again then the EU route is the easiest option but perhaps not as good for the soul.

Now I come to think about it, I remember the UK butter mountain was always in the news when I was a kid. I thought it was an actual pile of butter somewhere the size of a mountain and wondered why it didn't melt away or get covered in flies.

I had the same vision in my mind once over like :oops::lol:

When we used to camp out we'd go 'milking' early on a morning, you get the odd person that got a pint or 2 of fresh orange and it was mayhem trying to be the first one there to grab it.

Not proud of myself in hindsight but all good fun when your 9,10 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back