Milk delivered to your door step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine question but if one was to need 12 pints for the week, is it cheaper getting it from the milkman or Aldi???
aldi without doubt.

we get ours delivered. more expensive but it keeps a man and his son employed.

I pass his house regularly and some nice motors on the drive, but he gets up at 2am 5 days a week irrespective of weather, so don't begrudge him a penny.

I was thinking of this thread when walking the dog a couple if days ago. I have not seen our local milkman in months now. I think it was only the one house in our street delivered to and one or two in the next. It couldn’t have been economical

He might deliver later again these days. That was one reason we didn’t use him. He would drop the milk in full sun at 11ish and Id get home about 6 to find hot milk on the turn then nip up to Tesco for some fresh stuff.

It can’t be easy running a vintage business.

Making a steady comeback :cool:

I noticed you liked my post from a couple of years ago saying I got glass bottles from the milkman. I've sinced changed to plastic bottles because a local cat had worked out it could smash the glass ones to get at the milk. Little bastard. :lol:

I noticed you liked my post from a couple of years ago saying I got glass bottles from the milkman. I've sinced changed to plastic bottles because a local cat had worked out it could smash the glass ones to get at the milk. Little bastard. :lol:
Caught a f***ing wass crow beak deep at our’s once. Hate crows.

I don't believe it's normal or natural for any other mammal to continue lactating once their sprog is weaned, so what kind of chemicals do you think they're pumping into 'dairy cows' to keep them producing milk for most of heir lives, with or without calves? And how much of them chemicals are then ingested by humans? And what effect does it have on our health?
Nowts allowed into milk. If a farmer allows any chemicals and antibiotics into his milk its rejected and they have to pay for the full load of milk it has contaminated.

I don't believe it's normal or natural for any other mammal to continue lactating once their sprog is weaned, so what kind of chemicals do you think they're pumping into 'dairy cows' to keep them producing milk for most of heir lives, with or without calves? And how much of them chemicals are then ingested by humans? And what effect does it have on our health?
They keep milking them so, the cows keep producing. They tend to give birth once a year or so to continue producing milk.

Interesting that the papers lead us to believe the farmers all voted remain due to the large amounts of EU subsidies.

I suppose if you are a farmer and are guaranteed a fair sized income from the EU to not grow stuff or face going back to an unrestricted farming but needing to build up a competitive business again then the EU route is the easiest option but perhaps not as good for the soul.

Now I come to think about it, I remember the UK butter mountain was always in the news when I was a kid. I thought it was an actual pile of butter somewhere the size of a mountain and wondered why it didn't melt away or get covered in flies.
Most farmers i know voted leave.. they hate the stupid restrictions subs put on them.

Nowts allowed into milk. If a farmer allows any chemicals and antibiotics into his milk its rejected and they have to pay for the full load of milk it has contaminated.
I don't doubt you but I've often wondered why the milk we used to get delivered in the old days with the cream at the top etc. used to go off in a couple of days yet the stuff we get now is ok for much longer?

I don't doubt you but I've often wondered why the milk we used to get delivered in the old days with the cream at the top etc. used to go off in a couple of days yet the stuff we get now is ok for much longer?

we have fridges or even better fridges now. A lot of the milk now is skimmed or semi skimmed so no or very little fat in the milk.

cant whack rice pudding made with whole fat milk

I stand to be corrected but thats to do with the pasturisation process rather than chems through the cows.

Most farmers i know voted leave.. they hate the stupid restrictions subs put on them.
I asked a farmer at a wedding reception who was at our table, how should I vote to help the farmer re referendum and he stated, it didn't matter as they would work their way round things.

we have fridges or even better fridges now. A lot of the milk now is skimmed or semi skimmed so no or very little fat in the milk.

cant whack rice pudding made with whole fat milk
:lol:
What is this fridge you speak of?
Can anyone get one?

:lol:
What is this fridge you speak of?
Can anyone get one?

we used to go on holiday to a shepherds cottage on a sheep research centre. It had no fridge and had gas lighting.
every day at 5pm we would head down to the farm where they milked the cows and got a free quart of milk.
didn't like it me, but as no fridge, but as a burn was 10 yards from our cottage, we put the milk in the burn to keep it cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back