Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Is there a list of ingredients anywhere to do most of the curries? I'm planning on making a shit load of different ones to freeze.
Al has videos where he tells you want you need, althou some do have ingredients listed.. you need to make the base gravy first then go from there

Al has videos where he tells you want you need, althou some do have ingredients listed.. you need to make the base gravy first then go from there
Aye I've seen the ingredients listed on the vids. It's just I'm a bone idle fucker and I hoped someone had a comprehensive list of spices and whatnot I could nick to make most of them...

Aye I've seen the ingredients listed on the vids. It's just I'm a bone idle fucker and I hoped someone had a comprehensive list of spices and whatnot I could nick to make most of them...

Not sure where ya living, but there's an awesome Indian Food Store in Sunderland, 2mins from Millfield Metro. You'll easily spend around £25 getting what you need to do your first batch of base curry sauce, than 2 different curries to start you off.

The missus is off out next wee actually and I need to work out what I have, so will pull together some of the main ingredients in a mo. In an ideal world if you have a small blender and hand whisk then you're off to a good start. Would anyone recommend Muscle Food meat or is the likes of Premier Meats in Newcastle just as good?

If ya really into this, IKEA have small spice jars - 4 for £1.50 @ 15cl each or bigger ones @ 0.5l Jars (80p each) that you can fill with spices, and keep them tidy.

I have 15 spices, and then buy fresh Jumbo Garlic (about 8 large Bulbs) from Premier Meats, and Ginger from the Indian Food Store, for the local Morrisons

Cardamon Pods
Chilli Flakes
Cinnamon Sticks
Cloves (Whole)
Cumin Power
Cumin Seeds
Fenugreek
Grama Masala
Ground Coriander
Ground Cinammon
Ground Ginger
Madras Mild
Paprika
Paprika Smoked
Star Anise
Tumeric

Fresh Coriander from IFS or Supermarket, along with veg you need to make base sauce. I mainly make Masala, Jalfrezi and the odd Korma for the bairn. Fresh Chillis (Green and Red) always tend to come in packs from Morrisions etc, which are slightly to big so end up wasting about 30% of the pack each time, however gotta be somewhere that else loose ones (Morrisons used to!)

Last edited:
Not sure where ya living, but there's an awesome Indian Food Store in Sunderland, 2mins from Millfield Metro. You'll easily spend around £25 getting what you need to do your first batch of base curry sauce, than 2 different curries to start you off.

The missus is off out next wee actually and I need to work out what I have, so will pull together some of the main ingredients in a mo. In an ideal world if you have a small blender and hand whisk then you're off to a good start. Would anyone recommend Muscle Food meat or is the likes of Premier Meats in Newcastle just as good?

If ya really into this, IKEA have small spice jars - 4 for £1.50 @ 15cl each or bigger ones @ 0.5l Jars (80p each) that you can fill with spices, and keep them tidy.

I have 15 spices, and then buy fresh Jumbo Garlic (about 8 large Bulbs) from Premier Meats, and Ginger from the Indian Food Store, for the local Morrisons

Cardamon Pods
Chilli Flakes
Cinnamon Sticks
Cloves (Whole)
Cumin Power
Cumin Seeds
Fenugreek
Grama Masala
Ground Coriander
Ground Cinammon
Ground Ginger
Madras Mild
Paprika
Paprika Smoked
Star Anise
Tumeric

Fresh Coriander from IFS or Supermarket, along with veg you need to make base sauce. I mainly make Masala, Jalfrezi and the odd Korma for the bairn. Fresh Chillis (Green and Red) always tend to come in packs from Morrisions etc, which are slightly to big so end up wasting about 30% of the pack each time, however gotta be somewhere that else loose ones (Morrisons used to!)

Excellent. Cheers squire...

Just had the King Prawn Dhansak, absolutely phenomenal. First of many that I'll be doing. Tasted like it was from our favourite takeaway. Took about an hour and a half overall including the base curry and preperation. Now I've got the base the next one will only be about a half hour to do.

Just had the King Prawn Dhansak, absolutely phenomenal. First of many that I'll be doing. Tasted like it was from our favourite takeaway. Took about an hour and a half overall including the base curry and preperation. Now I've got the base the next one will only be about a half hour to do.
the rice is a triumph looking at your pic mate is that explained in one of als vids ?

Back