Low level rising damp in an old house

Dry rods. Can get them from wicked and the like.

Take the skirting board off, drill holes in the 2nd mortar course 12 cm apart then pop one of these in each hole. Once in the wall they basically melt and create a barrier.

You’re best off keeping them in the fridge until needed 😀

Need the advice of the SMB builders ….

House I’m looking to buy has got low level rising damp in a couple of areas. One is an outside wall the other is an internal wall. Didn’t realise you can get damp in internal walls !

When I’ve asked what this is / means etc the response I’ve been given over the phone (there’s a report being sent out apparently) is that there’s a few isolated areas that have damp spots just above the skirting board, not full on rising damp but a couple of spots along skirting boards.

When I’ve done a quick google search a chemical treatment seems the least intrusive way to sort it rather than adding a membrane to a full wall?

Any expert advice on best approach and idea on cost ?

we had something similar problem with our house (built around 1930s) (living room), internal walls only, chimney wall and living room/kitchen wall. We got Dynorod (?) out and then got somebody out who stripped the walls back to base brickwork, treated the walls with damp proofing course, and then replastered the walls. We had to leave the walls to properly dry out for about six months before decorating.

I think it cost us around £1k in total.

My house was built in 1930’s. Had rising damp on the internal part of an external wall and some inside walls including the shared wall as it’s a semi detached. Got damp proofing done and so far things seem ok. Chopped the plaster off to maybe 2 feet high.

Suspected to be coming from moisture under the house ?!? Apparently with all the wet weather under the house is likely to be soaking ?!?

Agree but a new build for the same price is literally not livable in when you have kids. I’d rather pay a few extra quid a month in heating bills than live in a shoe box
That was my issue
Constantly wet under floor
Timber doesn't like that .
We were replacing my kitchen floor when it started raining and a puddle appeared .
New build Town houses tend to have big rooms if you view any .

Dry rods. Can get them from wicked and the like.

Take the skirting board off, drill holes in the 2nd mortar course 12 cm apart then pop one of these in each hole. Once in the wall they basically melt and create a barrier.

You’re best off keeping them in the fridge until needed 😀

If you are putting them on internal walls you should put them as low as possible? From outside 150mm above the ground?

Also you need to remove the salt contaminated plaster +300mm

Back