Low level rising damp in an old house

Need the advice of the SMB builders ….

House I’m looking to buy has got low level rising damp in a couple of areas. One is an outside wall the other is an internal wall. Didn’t realise you can get damp in internal walls !

When I’ve asked what this is / means etc the response I’ve been given over the phone (there’s a report being sent out apparently) is that there’s a few isolated areas that have damp spots just above the skirting board, not full on rising damp but a couple of spots along skirting boards.

When I’ve done a quick google search a chemical treatment seems the least intrusive way to sort it rather than adding a membrane to a full wall?

Any expert advice on best approach and idea on cost ?

Avoid at all cost Mate.

House down the road suffered badly and threw a lot of money at it.
We suffer from a few Springs around here.

Last edited:
Rising damp is pretty rare I think. Worth a second opinion?

@Gillythedilf
Not in older houses. Really depends on the foundations/damp course (it had neither and built in sandstone. My first house had it quite bad. Had a damp proof course which failed after about 15years and they tanked the whole ground floor under warranty (swimming pool grade stuff) did the trick but apparently V expensive. A right mess on and would hate to go through it again.

There was
they did ours about 12 years ago. our house has solid walls and is built out of old bits of brick/stones/wattle and daub. when they hacked the old plaster off you could see daylight coming through. they actually did a cracking job and were very neat & tidy as regards to the mess. a bit has started coming through again on an internal wall but it's more condensation than anything else i think. we got some great paint off them that has little beads in it and helps to insulate/raise the temperature of the wall to stop condensation.

Rising damp is pretty rare I think. Worth a second opinion?

@Gillythedilf
I know very little about remedial damp proofing mate. Lad I use for that type of shite reckons the injection system is a con/ load of shite and re membrane way is the belt and braces way to do it.
I don’t know either way tbh that type of shite is of no interest. I can pass number on if anyone wants

I know very little about remedial damp proofing mate. Lad I use for that type of shite reckons the injection system is a con/ load of shite and re membrane way is the belt and braces way to do it.
I don’t know either way tbh that type of shite is of no interest. I can pass number on if anyone wants
Pretty Much what happened to my first house. Injection failed and tanking done..

I've no idea how effective this is, but i spent 6-ish weeks doing that. Worst job i've ever had and i've had a lot.
At that time, they chopped all the plaster of the brick or stone walls, injected the fecking horrible gunk, left it for a period, then replastered.
But as you say, probably less trouble than trying to fit a roll of dpc. Not sure how they'd do that.
When we moved into our present house, there was a terrible damp problem, but more dry rot through blocked ventilation. Was able to 99% solve the problem. Still one or two traces now 36 years later.
Hope you get it sorted, good luck.
Sorry for quoting my own post but, the highlighted bit should read approx a metre up from the floor. Not full wall.

We had trouble for about 10 years. We tried all sorts of remedies . Then the farmer sorted out his field drains and hey presto! Problem gone . When all said and done damp problems are just a bit of watter in the wrong place .

We’ve battled with some for a few years, walls perfectly dry.
Vented windows, improved shower extractor, cooked extractor, loft insulation gaps, etc. Hope we have cracked it.
As said though the Village has a high degree of Springs and we’ve had plenty of rain.

Not rising damp but get a few spots in top corners of the bedrooms that is easily wiped away. All about air circulation and venting for us here.

Glad you got sorted as it is a pain.

Back