Low level rising damp in an old house

If it’s an outside wall is it down from outside to minimise the impact on internal decor ? Guess on an internal wall you’re buggered either way
If they put in a full membrane (rather than chemical) then they'd have to cut all the way through the brick course otherwise it won't achieve anything other than make the damp, if it is rising damp, go around the DPM. If it's Victorian then you'll have solid brick walls in Flemish bond and no cavity,

I'd also be worried about the brickwork shifting once it's all done and cracks appearing all over the internal plaster.

Last edited:

Agree but a new build for the same price is literally not livable in when you have kids. I’d rather pay a few extra quid a month in heating bills than live in a shoe box
It’ll be more than a few quid!

Buy a house with some potential for an extension? A side plot?

No bigger than the "it has damp so must avoid" stance :lol:

Unlikely mind as condensation presents differently.
Mine was condensation and covered the bottom of the wall, to about a foot above sleeping height. Add to what the lime plaster kicked out, it did look the same as on vids. I later made it worse by drying clothes and giving the entire room spot mould though :lol:

I've had damp proofing put in too (that same 100 year old house).
Had to rip all the plastering off to get back to the bricks. Then replaster. then get super-anal about the skim finish going over with sandpaper. Then all the cleaning and then having to repaint he whole wall.

Was a messy job.
Did you have a nice fireplace and other original features?

My uncle used to work for Peter cox when I bought my first house, an old terraced pit house in whiteleas. Really bad damp problem, to the extent that the living room wooden floorboards and joists were all springy as a trampoline. We ripped the lot out, hacked the plaster off the walls to 1 metre and I paid two brickies to do the injection stuff. The chemicals used are nasty, they said their skin was sloughing off by the end of it. They had to drill and inject two holes into every single brick . But got it plastered and job was a good un

If they put in a full membrane (rather than chemical) then they'd have to cut all the way through the brick course otherwise it won't achieve anything other than make the damp, if it is rising damp, go around the DPM.

That's exactly what a lot of them do. They go above the issue by a couple of metres. Presumably with the thinking that it'll take years to work its way past that treatment point. That's what they did with our old kip (although they said it was penetrative not rising). We had no further issues whilst there.

It seemed like a bargain at the time. ;)
It was great value.
Until it wasn't. 2008 crash did for us.
Probably broke even cash-wise. Certainly not time-wise. I still shudder driving past the Easington turn off on the A19 from the number of times I had to do a couple of hours work on my way home from work.

Good learning experience though, I suppose.

It was great value.
Until it wasn't. 2008 crash did for us.
Probably broke even cash-wise. Certainly not time-wise. I still shudder driving past the Easington turn off on the A19 from the number of times I had to do a couple of hours work on my way home from work.

Good learning experience though, I suppose.
Yeah, that's true, timing was unlucky.

Rents are through the roof these days, you could have made a canny sum these days, maybe?

Need the advice of the SMB builders ….

House I’m looking to buy has got low level rising damp in a couple of areas. One is an outside wall the other is an internal wall. Didn’t realise you can get damp in internal walls !

When I’ve asked what this is / means etc the response I’ve been given over the phone (there’s a report being sent out apparently) is that there’s a few isolated areas that have damp spots just above the skirting board, not full on rising damp but a couple of spots along skirting boards.

When I’ve done a quick google search a chemical treatment seems the least intrusive way to sort it rather than adding a membrane to a full wall?

Any expert advice on best approach and idea on cost ?
Is the ground floor concrete or timber?

Back